Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Boomer

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default OK Boomer

What's a feature of modern technology that you have zero interest in ever using?

Two come to mind for me.

1. Wireless headphones. The cord never gets in my way, and it seems like it would be more of a pain to add headphones to the long list of items you already charge regularly.

2. Anything voice activated. It's not even a paranoia thing. I think I'm just accustomed to typing and reading. I like seeing my options. I also feel like I would be hyper aware of accidentally saying something that would set it off.

Telephones

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

100% on both those things

spending 2 collective hours of every work day navigating IVR phone systems has given me 0 faith in voice activated products

and the cord is a feature, it keeps the tiny tiny tiny buds attached to my phone so they dont get lost. why would i want to remove that feature.

I'm not sure if this fits the category but newer social media platforms like TikTok. Social Media seems to always be changing how users interact with their platforms. Sometimes its great but sometimes its just a bit too much.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

I'll second the voice activated devices. While I'm sure my phone is data mining me already, I'd rather not have a device that actively listens to every single thing I say.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love my AirPods. Headphone wires always got in my way as I moved about and these are so easy to plop in and out while doing chores, and to pause when a kid interrupts my podcast.

For social media I'm definitely on the grandpa side of it. I used LiveJournal back in the day and Twitter when it first started, but I'm off almost all social media except to keep up with what my family posts. My wife loves TikTok though and it seems more like what the internet used to be (at least for now).

The thing for me is gaming. I have a Switch and PS4 and those are not retro consoles but I do refuse to go full PC gaming or get into mobile (other than Pokemon Go).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Snapchat. I just don't use it.

Otherwise I'm pretty hip and with it with the younger folks.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Wireless headphones are really helpful for exercise, and without sounding like a shill for Bezos, a certain voice assistant is genuinely fantastic in my house. Voice activated lights, fans, tv? Bring it on baby!

I don't really know how to answer this one though, if there is a technological shortcut available to me I'll take it. I guess a lot of social media like Insta, Snapchat and TikTok. Oh and the boomer platform that is Facebook.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

We got the google thing and voice activated lights as a gift. It was neat, especially as someone who gets too spooked by horror movies and needs to be able to exit the room without turning the lights off. Brightness and RGB control was nice too. Downside is you *had* to use the app or the voice activation. If you used the regular switch you had to go through the whole syncing process again, which was a pain in the ass. My husband kept forgetting whenever he was drunk and then ask me to do the syncing because he didn't have the patience for it. After the fifth time I was like "nah dude you broke it you fix it." And so it remains broke lmfao.

i have a love/hate relationship with my phone. things like maps are great. apps where im just scrolling content are fine to use.

but i dont really like interacting with the device. give me a keyboard and a big monitor. i cant imagine writing an email more than three words, or using chat for an extended period, on my phone.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Snapchat - but more on principle because I like to read back over conversations and see old pics and Snapchat is designed to be the opposite of that. Not in my interest in any way.

Battle Royale games - Not interested.

It's actually weird that I can't think of much here because I always feel like I'm an old git who doesn't get the new fandangled stuff, but I guess maybe I'm okay after all. But then it's entirely possible that I'm simply not clued in on what is hip with the kids these days... maybe there's some other app that's picking up steam.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Battle Royale games - Not interested.
    I think I agree with this.

I can't speak to whether or not games like Fortnite have a story aspect to them, but in general, those games don't seem to have a lot of meat on their bones. Heavy on in app purchases and no sense of progression.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Social Media in general for me. I'm a fairly private person, so the entire concept is lost on me.

I'm not opposed to most new tech, but I'm also cheap and won't waste money on something I have a more optimal alternative for. I think this year marks the only time in my life I've owned a phone that was relatively current and not something from five years back.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The inclined plane. I just use the stairs.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sex toys. Natural is the best.