Thread: Pixel Remasters

Default Pixel Remasters

Wasn’t sure if I wanted to make three separate threads for FF, FFII & FFIII respectively, as I’m simultaneously plowing through all three, or just one encompassing topic, and here we are. I’m thinking they’re my favorite releases yet. In FF, I’m at the Earth Cave for pre vampire round one, having just finished grinding for equips and spells. In II, I’m exploiting its systems around the first town still, but my stats are looking nice. In III, I’m exploiting the block five times mechanic on goblins to master the first set of jobs with minimal experience gain so that I get all the necessary levels in Master for max hp. This is pretty much exactly what I want out of a Final Fantasy. Anyone else giving these latest remakes a try? I’m using the Steam releases because I’d like them to work right in a month or two.
    Knock yourselves down.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was initially interested in these if/when they get a Switch release but got turned off by the price tag and the awful English font. I read there is a way to adjust the font but not sure if that will work on a console. I hope they fix that and bundle these up for a console at a reduced price.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm intrigued, but waiting for a console release. Definitely a collection my Switch will need. Curious to see how faithful to the originals the SNES entries will be.I've heard the extra content from DoS or the 20th anniversary versions were stripped from the games, but then they also kept stuff from those versions as well.

In FF1, the level cap is 99 rather than 50, while the magic system is a return to the spell per level system.

There are new items such as ethers (1 casting per level restored) that can be bought in shops, as well as additional items that can be earned in battle. They’re all restorative items. I’ve not come across any of the consumable casting items. Between that and that the ship game no longer rewards with items, strict lowest level class changes are at the very least, prohibitively challenging.

Within dungeons, you’re given a map that contains every chest location and stairway. There’s no fog of war- you just have this. Predictably, outside of a room, you only see closed doors and the layout of the dungeon floor. Viewing the map within one room toggles the view to allow the viewing of every room on the floor- all the ceilings are lifted. Great for not wasting energy on empty rooms.

Chaos has been buffed substantially, and Warmech is significantly more rare. Warmech, being incredibly rare, and being necessary for 100% bestiary and the last achievement, is also prone to fleeing battle. This paragraph is somewhat hearsay, because my knight/knight/W-wiz/W-wiz party is grinding to 99, and hasn’t seen a Warmech yet. It hasn’t faced chaos, though it got to his room.

The game is definitely easier than the original NES version but also harder than the gba/PSP/mobile ports by a good margin. Enemy status effects are miserable. I set personal rules that I can never run from battle and have to reload last save if someone is dead at battle’s end, so perhaps my experience seemed worse because I tended to run back in the day.

I’ll add more if I can think of it, as well as ff2 and 3, which I’m just beginning.
    Last edited by Garland; 08-17-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’ve got the entire collection but have yet to start them, since I’m working through my backlog a bit first. Gonna start them once a release date for VI is established, so I can do a soft reboot of my marathon