Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Games that are Good but you just do not like.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Good Games that are Good but you just do not like.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I keep going back to it and trying to play it. Every single time I do I go "oh wow, this is such a well made game. Visually excellent in a way that will always look good, the interwoven mechanics are so cool and well implemented, love the open world" but I just really don't like it very much and inevitably turn it off after an hour or so.

RDR2 is similar, though I would disagree that it is a Good Game that is Good, so probably doesn't apply here.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

"My respect for the game outweighed my enjoyment of the game", a line I steal from The Cardboard Herald. This definitely applies frequently for me for board games. Vidoe games? hmm... RE7 the first to come to mind, but I can think of more.

Resident Evil 7 (don't like the gunplay. And I know, it allegedly gets better w/ different guns, but I'm impatient)
    Resident Evil 4 (to be fair, I played this about 10 years after its release. It did not age well, imo)
    Doom Eternal (tho I'd argue its systems actually AREN'T good, relative to its genre. But it was a well-crafted game overall)
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey (I didn't like the change to farm-forts-to-make-bosses-weaker system, and didn't like the naval system)
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 (crpg's just aren't my thing, regardless if the combat is turn-based or not)
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike (I generally don't like SF combo systems and execution)
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hollow Knight. I love Metroidvania and the game is beautifully done but the difficulty was too punishing for me and I really do not like the Dark Souls-like death mechanics in games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Shadow of the Colossus. I get what it does and why it does it, and I agree that it's beautiful, but it is just so goddamn boring to me. Even watching people who are passionate about the game play it is boring to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Steins; Gate. Well regarded as one of the best visual novels of all time (I love VNs), but I just cannot force myself to finish it. The game looks & feels dated and everyone's eyes are weird. I've heard they remade the game using artwork from the anime (which I have not seen) but I also heard it cut content from the original and I really don't want to pay again for a game I probably still won't enjoy. Part of me thinks I should just watch the anime to motivate myself to finish, the other part of me thinks that would make sure I never do since I'd have seen the story already.

Kingdom Hearts. I respect what it is and I understand why people love it, I just don't connect with it anymore. The only ones I really liked were 1, 2 and 3, not a fan of any of the handheld spinoffs.

Also any Resident Evil except 4, fighting games in general except Tekken and Soul Blade/Calibur. and MMORPGs in general.

I guess Dragon's Dogma? I just didn't enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    I guess Dragon's Dogma? I just didn't enjoy it.
    We're not friends anymore.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mass Effect comes to mind if the Discord channel is anything to go by. Like it was okay and I recognize why people would love it but, I found it sort of ho hum honestly. Like after finishing it, I didn't really feel the need to go back.

Super Mario Galaxy was another. Solid game, but just didn't work for me for some reason. Like every aspect of the game kind of bothered me and I can't exactly put my finger on why.

I'm sure there are more I can think of...

Articles
    Blog Entries

A Link to the Past. Good game, but I just don't care for it. Doesn't help that I can't get pass the first dungeon in that game. I'm just no good at puzzle based games.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Mass Effect comes to mind if the Discord channel is anything to go by. Like it was okay and I recognize why people would love it but, I found it sort of ho hum honestly. Like after finishing it, I didn't really feel the need to go back.
    It's cause I can play as a female badass when I couldn't very often before. honestly.

I just have no desire to play the Persona games

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's cause I can play as a female badass when I couldn't very often before. honestly.

I just have no desire to play the Persona games
    Totally fair on the ME front. I'm just not a fan of the combat and I find the choice system strangely underwhelming in hindsight.

I have a very ambivalent relationship with Persona, but I think that's largely because of the fanbase.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ocarina of Time for me. I recognize it was groundbreaking and everything but at this point it’s the Zelda I pretty much like the least with the exception of Zelda II

OoT is the most overrated video game of all time though, fight me All Gamefaqs Posters

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breath of the Wild
    The Witcher 3
    Skyrim

No qualms with anyone who loves these games, they just didn’t click with me.