Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Good game, but not a good sequel"

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

FFX-2 in addition to what was previously mentioned, also has the New Game+, which rewards future playthroughs by allowing you to carry over equipment and explore alternate story branches.

More than that is Chrono Cross, which has great characters, an awesome combat system, NG+, FF and Slow buttons, but has the misfortune of tying into to Chrono Trigger, one of the great beloved RPGs of all time. CC doesn't even delve into time travel, just hopping between two alternate timelines.

Although this may be decisive, I love Silent Hill 4: The Room. I think the tunnel system is neat and I think the two leads and the antagonist are great characters. It just doesn't feel like a SH game. I understand it wasn't at first but got clumsily tied to the rest of the series.

In the end the biggest conundrum is these game really should have been standalone games, but wouldn't have been likely to have been released had they not been connected to a preexisting and popular game series.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I dun feel Dragon Age 2 was a good sequel but I think FFX-2 is a pretty decent sequel. The mood changed from gloomy (in FFX) to lively and more lighthearted. The story is also relatively decent just that the imaging of our beloved characters could use some work.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I didn't mind the setting update, but I found the character transitions too jarring. Yuna going from a demure priestess to Pop star? Rikku was always upbeat and cheerful, which I liked about her, but here she regressed into annoying immaturity. I like the story generally but my preconceptions about the returning characters really colored my enjoyment of its execution.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

X-2's plot is a nightmare. It's like three different plots with huge tonal differences all being crammed together because Nojima, Kitase, and Toriyama couldn't make a decision how to trim the fat.

FF Tactics A2 is another good example. While it doesn't change much of my personal grievances from TA1, the overall quality is vastly better in terms of variety and gameplay. It's just a shame the story and characters are not good.

Blog Entries

Ac origins is a good example of this for me.

They tried to modernize the gameplay like recent open world/ Rpg but it was not for me.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Probably Halo 4. I thought it was a perfectly decent game, it just kinda trampled on some of the established Halo things with it. Now I was going to say Halo 5 but I can't in confidence say it's a good game even without the halo title, I'm too biased and think it's awful.