So I've been watching a lot of video essays recently on some of my favorite video game franchises. I've heard Dragon Age Inquisition and BioShock Infinite both referred to as good games, but not good sequels. I'm sure this isn't the first time those games have been called that. And I definitely agree w/ Inquisition, tho I'd say Infinite still holds true to SOME of its predecessors' themes and sensibilities.

Anyway, it got me wondering, what other games fall in this category? First ones that come to my mind are Doom 3, Dead Space 2 and MAYBE FEAR2 (debatable if it's truly a top-quality game or just decent)? I suppose Guilty Gear Strive, too. Again, hard to think about GOOD games that are "BAD sequels", while not considering actual just average or subpar games (i.e. Mass Effect Andromeda, apparently).

What do y'all think about these types of games? Do you think they're "bad games", just b/c they stray from the games before them, or can you acknowledge that they're good games, just not good sequels? Do you generally care to compare games w/ the other games in their respective series, or just hold each game to its own merit? What games would you add to this list?