Thread: Paw Patrol: The Movie

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default Paw Patrol: The Movie

Took my seven year old to see this in a theater today. Obviously she's the target audience, not me. Nevertheless I found this movie surprisingly enjoyable, mainly because the movie had fun pointing out many of the absurdities of the original TV series, which include, but are limited to:

1) The show features talking dogs that converse with the humans as if it's the most natural thing, despite the fact that no other species does this, generally displaying animal levels of intelligence.

2) Adventure Bay's entire public safety system depends on a pre-teen boy and the aforementioned talking dogs that also drive customized vehicles. Which is apparently privately funded by said pre-teen boy, who must have Bruce Wayne levels of disposable income.

3) Adventure Bay must have insanely high insurance rates because the citizens are the most unlucky, clumsy, and self-destructive people in existence and constantly need rescuing from their own self-inflicted problems.

4) The main series villain, Mayor Humdinger, constantly engages in theft, vandalism, larceny, and any other sundry crimes, yet never gets arrested or charged with anything when he's inevitably rescued after his latest scheme blows up in his face.

The makers must have had the same thoughts as me, because they poked fun at almost all the points I've been pondering. Also it has a serious look at PTSD, which surprised me a lot.

The movie looks great and having a story happen over a feature length run time allowed for more character development.

It's fun to take a child to see, although I doubt I would've seen it on my own.

sorry but ACAB and that includes Chase they can all get in the smurfing sea

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Paw Patrol, but I haven't watched it since around 2018 or so (I started in 2016) - I've had some episodes and specials stored for ages, and never got around to them. I haven't yet seen the movie.

It doesn't really surprise me if the movie is at least decent, and it's cool if it makes fun of itself at times, which is fun to do. The silly thing is, even at seven one would be technically "too old" for it, as it is billed as preschool show, even though to me it never seemed like one (but I think I just got the wrong idea of what a preschool show is, as I've been surprised by a lot of shows turning out to be preschool, when they all looked at least "during school" - I'm actually planning on doing a YouTube video about this subject one day.)

One thing that has been surprising me is how it's getting a bit of a joke response on Twitter - I understand people making jokes about it having a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (even as someone who views children's media as something that should be given fair criticism and praise as written/animated/acted work, I understand that you can't really hold it in the same league as an award winning ground breaking movie), but people were acting surprised that it has political corruption (something that children's shows can have - especially the villain is a corrupt mayor), the fact that the Paw Patrol were referred to as "first responders" (despite being dogs, in what way are they not first responders?) and generally being praised as a good movie - like being called "gripping" or "entertaining" or whatever, implying that kids' movies can't be referred to as this.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    It doesn't really surprise me if the movie is at least decent, and it's cool if it makes fun of itself at times, which is fun to do. The silly thing is, even at seven one would be technically "too old" for it, as it is billed as preschool show, even though to me it never seemed like one (but I think I just got the wrong idea of what a preschool show is, as I've been surprised by a lot of shows turning out to be preschool, when they all looked at least "during school" - I'm actually planning on doing a YouTube video about this subject one day.)
    A well written family show should be enjoyable to any age. Obviously the main target audience is young children, but older children and adults will often watch it as well, so it's worth making it enjoyable for them as well.

One thing that has been surprising me is how it's getting a bit of a joke response on Twitter - I understand people making jokes about it having a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (even as someone who views children's media as something that should be given fair criticism and praise as written/animated/acted work, I understand that you can't really hold it in the same league as an award winning ground breaking movie), but people were acting surprised that it has political corruption (something that children's shows can have - especially the villain is a corrupt mayor), the fact that the Paw Patrol were referred to as "first responders" (despite being dogs, in what way are they not first responders?) and generally being praised as a good movie - like being called "gripping" or "entertaining" or whatever, implying that kids' movies can't be referred to as this.
    It bugs me when people excuse bad children's movie as 'it's just for kids', like we shouldn't care about quality of movies for them. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that the same people are shocked that a children's movie could be actually good.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I may have to check this out with my kids. They just got back into watching Paw Patrol.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post

A well written family show should be enjoyable to any age. Obviously the main target audience is young children, but older children and adults will often watch it as well, so it's worth making it enjoyable for them as well.

It bugs me when people excuse bad children's movie as 'it's just for kids', like we shouldn't care about quality of movies for them. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that the same people are shocked that a children's movie could be actually good.
    As both a writer and a reviewer, I agree 100%. I hate the "it's just for kids" mentality from either perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post

When I end up having to show videos to kids, I'm always in a better mood when it's videos that are enjoyable for all ages. There's nothing worse in life that having the gummy bear song stuck in your head because you've heard it 20 times before lunch.

I might have to check out this movie in case I end up needing a backup video.

I will definitely watch this film with my son. I always liked watching the cartoon with my son, who is an absolute fan of this story. I try to instill in my child not only love for cartoons and films that carry the correct moral message, but also respect for animals. Recently, we have been discussing a lot with him the problem of testing various medical preparations on animals. On https://artscolumbia.org/free-essays/animal-testing/ I read some pretty interesting and constructive research on animal testing of various drugs. I can’t believe that in the 21st century we continue to do this.
    Last edited by Nile Parker; 10-29-2021 at 08:06 AM.