Thread: Can we talk about how horrible all these Dev studios are?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Can we talk about how horrible all these Dev studios are?

ActiBlizzKing keeps digging their own hole. Apparently they got caught shredding documents now. Whoop.

What are your thoughts on all these studios getting called out for being cruddy people?

The main problem with game studios is that they consist largely of gamers

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm so vastly unsurprised that a company in an industry that famously has no concern for human suffering or well-being turned out to be troutty.

People should call them out until devs and other works are unionised and no longer subject to crunch.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

It's lame that they're trying to save face by removing all references of the perps in their games. Renaming OW's McCree's and WoW's Mac'Aree is just so tonedeaf and insincere.

But anyway, what do I think...? You know, I'm one of those types of ppl that is both surprised and unsurprised by the same thing. I would expect more from video game developers - especially in large companies like Blizzard, Ubisoft, and Riot - to be more respectful and considerate to all co-workers, male or female. Now, I know that doesn't happen in almost any workplace. I've worked in large insurance and government offices/buildings for about a decade of my life, and also retail for a few years, and of course there's always a creep, asshole, etc here and there. But I'd never expect it at the scale or intensity that's come to light.

But then I also think, this doesn't surprise me. We hear about this stuff from so many places and for so long, that it shouldn't be surprising. Maybe I've just lucked out and never worked at a place w/ a "fratboy environment". I haven't read the full details, but I'd actually be REALLY surprised if no one ever stood up for the victims. Even if the perps were higher ups, surely they had friends who could've just been like "hey, you may wanna relax/ease up."

I dunno...maybe I have too much faith in people still.

One of my theories is this has to do w/ going public or at least being owned by a public foreign company (Riot). I know it doesn't apply to every major developer that is publicly traded or owned by a publicly traded publisher (i.e. Respawn, Rockstar, Monolith, etc seem fine. BioWare especially seems to really have an inclusive culture ingrained in its work environment). But you especially never really hear of this stuff in major private - or recently ex-private - developers like Epic, Valve, or Bethesda/Arkane/id, etc. Of course, this is NOT counting development-related things like crunch or forcing re-worked content. I'm just focusing on the social nature of the work environment.

I don't know...I think that when publishers care more about making money and pleasing shareholders, they sort of just hire whoever they can to get the work done and work culture comes in second place. This allows more scummy ppl to be hired, develop their own culture w/ other like-minded scummy ppl and you suddenly have these type of work places.

Maybe I'm reaching, but I honestly think a positive and inclusive work environment is easier to manage when a developer is given 100% creative and scheduling freedom. When the game takes precedent over the dollar. Not always, sure, but just the feeling I get.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
    Maybe I'm reaching, but I honestly think a positive and inclusive work environment is easier to manage when a developer is given 100% creative and scheduling freedom. When the game takes precedent over the dollar. Not always, sure, but just the feeling I get.
    I agree with you cheesesteak. If their goal is providing a good work environment, supporting employees, and maintaining a productive culture provided they also have good leadership and direction, the probability of great games seems to increase. However, most are beholden to their shareholders and will do anything necessary to keep their shareholders happy.

I've seem similar situations at schools where one school has a great work environment while a similar school with similar clientele will be near-unbearable. Usually, it comes down to what the leadership at the school does and the policies that are enforced. A school that I use to dread going to seven years ago promoted a teacher to vice-principle and after a few years, I'm excited to accept assignments from that school.

Question that I keep pondering is, is there anything we can do, as a gaming community, to sway the companies into developing a better game development culture instead of this corporate monstrosity that they've become? I actually miss the days where game companies were small, they focused on making a fun game, and Corporate America wasn't investing in the industry, at the time.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker Thomas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
    Question that I keep pondering is, is there anything we can do, as a gaming community, to sway the companies into developing a better game development culture instead of this corporate monstrosity that they've become? I actually miss the days where game companies were small, they focused on making a fun game, and Corporate America wasn't investing in the industry, at the time.
    Not sure anything can be done. In video games or any other form of media that has become big enough to be driven by the dollar. Bear in mind all the aspects of video games that are driven by the dollar, besides just putting pockets in CEO's or shareholders' pockets.

I'll never forget an interview I saw w/ Ken Levine and why he changed the BioShock cover to be what it ended up being in retail. To paraphrase, he said it's his job to make sure the game sells as much as possible, as his employees' livelihoods are his responsiblity (I'm presuming there was some sort of incentives/bonuses in their contracts, like a lot of AAA games have for their studios?). Point being, at this point in our world, money is what makes things go. Especially for corporate America. I'm not sure that'll ever change. At least not until the world gets dried up of its fossil fuels and we start living in a Mad Max world.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just found out Epic is doing a MLK event in Fortnite. Like, why?