Thread: What do your favrotie games say about you?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question What do your favrotie games say about you?

What do you think your top favorite games say about you as a person? Go ahead, don't be shy and share.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Figuring out how to organize this... list by game? By what they say about me? Group them?

Well, I'll just say this, my favorite games (kind of in rank order, but not really) are - Deus Ex (first one), BioShock Infinite (and 1+2, sure), Gone Home, FF8+10+12, both Chronos, FONV, Hyper Light Drifter, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Silent Hill 2+4, MGS2, Sekiro, FEAR (1), Nier Automata + Replicant, RDR1, Diablo 2, Edith Finch, Dishonored 1+2, Dragon Age: Origins, Dusk, Doom (2016), Gris, Braid, Momodora:RutM, Sundered, Blasphemous, Hades, Dead Cells, Scourgebringer, RE1+2+CV, Hedon, Katana Zero, Ninjatown, Mark of the Ninja, Spec Ops The Line, DKCR+TF, Tekken 3, Soulcalibur, UMK3, MK9, Guilty Gear Xrd REV2

*phew*...I probably missed some.

Anyway, I think this says a lot about me...

1. I play - and like - a lot of video games.
    2. I like good stories and good storytelling, whether they be from walking sims (Gone Home, Edith Finch) or action games (Nier, HLD, BioShock, etc) and anything in-between. I really do value narrative a lot.
    3. I like grimdark (DA:O, Diablo 2, Blasphemous).
    4. I'm very picky about roguelikes/lites. I've played close to 30, and only a few I've "beat" and those are probably also the only ones I'd be willing to go back and play to unlock more stuff. Coincidentally all are action (Dead Cells, Hades, Scourgebringer).
    5. I stray off the beaten path a bit and tend to like the entries in a series that are divisive/polarizing to the fanbase, while acknowledging they aren't the best in their respective series, they are still my favorites (FF8, MGS2, Infinite). Probably same can be said for genres (I like quite a few MV's SO much more than Hollow Knight, despite my acknowledgement that HK is a god-tier crafted game...it just didn't really resonate w/ me).
    6. I like immersive sims (DX, Dishonored...Deathloop should be added to the above list. Lotta D-named immersive sims I like).
    7. I like games that keep my physical reflexes checked - boomer shooters (Dusk, Doom, Hedon), action games (Sekiro, HLD, Hades, Scourgebringer, etc).
    8. I tend to not really "favor" more thinky games...deckbuilders, puzzle, 4x/strategy games aren't really on my list (a couple platform puzzlers, sure). I respect them. Just don't enjoy them as much (tho I really do enjoy puzzle games in small doses, actually).
    9. I like stealth (Mark of the Ninja, MGS, Sekiro, my preferred approach in immersive sims).
    10. I USED to like survival horror.
    11. I love video game music. From dance beats to orchestral to ambience to synthwave, good music really adds to the video game experience for me. DKCR, Edith Finch, Silent Hill, HLD, FF's, Chronos, Niers, Guilty Gear, Scourgebringer...so many have amazing OSTs that I listen to regularly at work.
    12. I now realize that none of the games are too bright or whimsical (maybe the FF's and Chronos?). Tho some of my favorite games not on the list above ARE bright and whimsical (Wattam, Zelda games, DKCR, Mario & Luigi RPG's).
    13. I know a lot of my favorite FRANCHISES are not really that high as my favorite GAMES (Tomb Raider, Zelda, Metroid, Elder Scrolls, King of Fighters, Life is Strange), which can mean my appreciation for worlds/universes sometimes outweighs my appreciation for game design/narrative. Or maybe I appreciate franchises differently as I grow older, depending when I'm exposed to them, etc.
    14. I simply have a wide array of tastes! Sometimes I'm feeling like a simple yet emotional experience that'll make me cry (Brothers, Edith Finch, Gone Home) sometimes I just want an adrenaline pumping challenge (Sekiro, HLD, Dusk).

To sum it up, I suppose it just means I'm a diverse and balanced person? Who still has preferences and evolves, but is open-minded.

I don't know, OP, you tell me!

edit:
    after much thought, DKCR does deserve to be considered a "favorite", so I added it. ...and added fighting games, even tho I sort of measure pvp/online games differently. But hey, they should be mentioned.
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 09-23-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well I only recently made this 3x3 on the discord so might as well use it as the basis.

Though a very notable omission from this chart is the Touhou series which I love, and I've been really digging the Rance series lately as well.

Observing myself in this I'd say:
    - I very clearly prefer anime aesthetic over realistic. (Cartoonish in the case of Warcraft III) Also, I prefer bright and colorful aesthetics over dark ones.
    - I strongly prefer Japanese games (perhaps more accurately their games culture) over Western, though not exclusively.
    - Though that being said, I don't branch out my tastes much on my own, either. Half of these games are recommendations from one person.
    - I have a passion for game design itself - which I myself pour into Warcraft III - and which likely also makes me prefer games where I can feel the creators' passion behind them, be they indie like Ryukishi07 or ZUN, a small studio like Vanillaware or Alicesoft, or "AA" like modern Falcom, although very big companies are not excluded from this per se.
    - Memorable soundtracks are extremely important to me.
    - I don't mind "tired old anime tropes" at all, in fact I enjoy when they're there. Though I also enjoy seeing them subverted, I don't value that above playing them straight and doing a good job of it.
    - I clearly like redhead male protagonists, including silent ones =P
    - I don't view characters who try their damndest despite kinda flailing around as cringey, in fact I rather admire that as a quality.
    - I don't have particularly unique opinions. All these games are fairly well liked in general, just in part niche.
    - The games I do love, I love a lot. Others can attest to that I'm sure.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't know.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okami, FF9, Dark Souls, FF12, Fallout: NV are all my Top 1. Assassin's Creed 2, Halo: CE, Undertale, Morrowind, FFT are all my Top 2.

I think they say that I have amazing taste in games, tbh. I think they also indicate that I favour rich storytelling, whether via narrative or worldbuilding or both, and that I enjoy some power fantasy archetypal hero stuff but mixed in worlds that are often quite grey and morally ambiguous.

Also, wort wort wort go pew pew pew.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think they say I'm a nerd.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

My faves are Disco Elysium, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. I think that means I prefer character-driven narratives with strong character relationships, and that I have a weird sense of humour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

"tell me you like otomes without ever having actually played one"

i lookedd at my games shalf and im think im horney...

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Skyrim! I literally change/modify/add how the game run using Mods. I do not like accepting how things should be but rather, how things can be.

I DEFY DESTINY ITSELF!