Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should a game be?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question How long should a game be?

Granted, this varies from genre to genre, but how long do you feel a game should be to do a 90% completion run.

I like a solid 30-hour game. Any longer and I tend to get bored - which is why it's taking me so damn long to finish Persona 5 Royal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

It should be as long as it needs to be, and then it should end.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm fine with running the gamut.

I'm satisfied with a 10 hour cinematic action game, a 60 hour open world RPG, and the 5 trillion hour hit MMO Final Fantasy XIV.

More so than games being bloated, I see people wanting shorter games because they just have less time to play them than they used to. Would be interested to see which answer was more common.

i dont mind as long as the narrative and other enjoyment factors is sustained throughout.

although, one good thing about the openworld with tons of optional content is you can usually skip what you want, if you want. particularly on a repeat playthrough

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Basically exactly this.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like my 10-30 hour games interspersed with "oh jesus smurf how have i spent 487 hours in this game?!"

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

For me, it depends on the narrative and gameplay. Neither can overstay their welcome. Designing them both to fit in the ideal time amount is something I do not envy for devs. Price obviously is a factor, also. I don't expect a $60 game to be just 3 hours long. Even 10 hours seems like a problem, but I can accept it.

But as for the idea of narrative and gameplay both fitting perfectly into what feels "right", I can give some examples.

If Edith Finch was 10 hours long, I'd probably have lost interest. 3 hours, max, was perfect for it - and really any walking simulator. If a walking sim starts getting in that 4- or even 10-hour range, it likely shifts into a FP horror game. And even then, some I've played or know are ~10 hrs I just can't imagine having to do that gameplay loop for that long.

Then, some RPG's that overstayed their welcome I think usually for narrative reasons - Fallout 4 (not even counting the side content), Trails in the Sky 1, even Yakuza 7 a bit, as much as I loved it (I put 80+ hours into Yakuza 7 and I absolutely adored and loved the game. Still, at times I wished it ended sooner. But that may have been because I was trying to mix in Hades at that time and wanted to finish it before Cyberpunk 2077 released. So my feelings on its length may have been skewed). I definitely think the "overstay your welcome" seems to apply more to JRPG's than WRPG's.

While some genres like roguelikes/lites are sort of...hard to gauge given their random nature, Curse of the Dead Gods is SO random and punishing, it easily overstayed its welcome for me and took TOO long to finish. But then, there are those roguelikes/lites that give the player TOO much freedom like Deathloop and you see non-speedrunning playthrough times ranging from 10-30 hours, all depending on how the player plays.

I dunno...then I think of games like Get Even being just 7.5 hrs, but feeling like a drag.

But, I'll just finish w/ this. If it's a AAA game (which these days are just FPS, RPG, or Action-Adventure, pretty much, right?), I expect it to be 10+ hrs if it's an FPS, 15+ hrs if it's an Action-Adventure, and 25+ hrs if it's an RPG. If it's an indie game, then it really fluctuates based on genre and price, but in general I'd expect about 10:1 ratio MINIMUM of USD:hours to finish. ...and by "minimum", I mean on the hours side of the ratio. If a $10 game takes less than 1 hour or a $20 game takes less than 2 hours at normal play speed, etc, then it's a bad deal.
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 10-11-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Yeah there is no set time limit. I put 100 hours into Xenoblade 2 and did not feel like it was too much. Then I put about 15 hours into Tomb Raider and was also satisfied.

I do like achieving 100% completion runs (as in all collectibles & sidequests) but games need to have the right balance of these.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

about 5 feet 12

12 what

Cannot stand games where the narrative takes more than 70 hours. Sure there are games like Skyrim and Dark Souls where I've clocked 300 hours, but that's over multiple characters. I've tried Xenoblade 1 twice, and got burned out about 65 hours in both times. Some games just overstay their welcome. Something can be said for proper pacing, and Xenoblade sure needs that, but on the whole; there's so many games to play that I would like to get on, one game taking dozens upon dozens of hours is just greedy and needless. This is why I cannot stand MMOs and timesink games that are designed to just eat up your time without respect. Like Live Service games. Never ever. 30-60 hours for RPG, 10-20 for adventure game. Those are my ideals. Especially when properly paced

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can agree that the story part should not be beyond 30ish hours, and maybe 50 for an epic RPG. Fine if you have over 100 hours of engaging content, quests, upgrades, etc. but t he main story told in one game can drag on if it goes too long.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

There's really no upper limit for me. If someone out there manages to make a 100 hour long FPS campaign that stays interesting, all the more power to them
    I loved every minute of the 40 hours I spent on one playthrough of The Last of Us 2 for example, and also every minute of the near-200 hours I put into one playthrough of Trails of Cold Steel 4.

Conversely, I also felt more than satisfied with things like Uncharted 2 and 3's 8 to 10ish hour campaigns and recently, Metroid Dread's 10 hours.

So yeah, as long as the game stays interesting to me, it really doesn't matter. Though I will say I like my RPGs long.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

One of these days I'm going to try one of those Trails games that you mention every other post, WZ.