Thread: Great Game...bad ending [SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY]

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Great Game...bad ending [SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY]

What it says on the tin. What are some games you love that have disappointing, ho-hum- or downright awful endings you personally don't like?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The ending feels very unfinished but probably because it was designed to have different pathways. The ending becomes solidified in the sequel though which makes it all the more weirder. In terms of game play and smaller plot lines, I really enjoyed Deus Ex: Human Revolution. So much so that I have been trying to get into the earlier games but time constraints don't allow for it at the moment.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly can’t think of one. Most of the games I do enjoy I am on board to the end and I haven’t yet encountered a game that would betray its own themes with its ending

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Assassin's Creed III is one I can think of. The ending of Desmond's story is very unfulfilling. The Precursor plot was always sketchy in the series and the ending just showed why that was.

Xenosaga Episode III's ending is also a bit bad, mainly because it left a sequel hook I feel the staff knew even then was never going to materialize, and I don't feel it gives a very satisfying conclusion about KOS-MOS, chaos, Abel, or Nephilim after being built up for so long.

BoFII's Best ending is just not as satisfying as the Normal ending. I prefer the more bittersweet ending and how it bookends with the opening of the game.

SMT also tends to have lackluster endings. They're not bad per se, but certainly just a step up from ''A Winner is You'' type endings from arcades.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Sundered.

I know "story" and "narrative" aren't usually strongpoints of MV's (there are exceptions of course), but Sundered did have an interesting story behind it and it was trying to tell a story during its adventure. Some great combat and boss battles in the game just to finish w/ some meaningless 5 second cutscene.

And yes, I know it has multiple endings, but iirc, they were all like max 20 second, voiceless cutscenes. I got the neutral ending which was like 5 seconds.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Obligatory mention of Mass Effect 3

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also comes to mind but that's because the entire game is just setup for a sequel that didn't get made.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The final 'act' of Last of Us 2 left a sour taste in my mouth. I wish there was some player choice involved in the ending, much like there was in the first game!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

(kojima-style battrout might be considered cheating but yea)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah, I actually loved Death Stranding's ending. Especially that last mission...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Definitely ME3 and DE:HR.

I've always found FF endings to be generally unsatisfying, not bad but just... I want to know what happens next, you know? FFVII, my fave game of all time, just needed a bit more post-game exposition for me. FFVIII, on the other hand, did brilliantly.

Basically I really like knowing what happens next after the climax of the story, rather than just a quick cutscene of the world healing itself and then a quick shot of a city 100 years later or whatever. I like to know how the characters moved on with their lives.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!