Thread: I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default I Don't Know What I'm Doing

I just started my free trial two days ago. I've done two quests so far, but I'm still so overwhelmed by all the stuff on screen and I don't know how to talk to other players.

I want some new equipment too.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Honestly, my best recommendation is to try and tune out sidequests, and focus on moving through MSQ - particularly if you're feeling overwhelmed by the amount of Things to Do.

All that other stuff will be there for when you're ready to branch out.

Better equipment you may be able to buy from your local City-State vendor.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

How do I find people to play with? Am I allowed to play with other people? I tried the invite to party feature but it said not available in free trial.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Here's a comprehensive list of the things you can't do on the free trial - unfortunately, yes, that includes setting up parties. However, other people can invite you to their parties, and you can join party finders and you can use the duty finder. You just can't be the lead.

But the core gameplay will have you thrown into dungeons with other players, whether you've partied up prior to queuing for the content or not.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

what job did you start with, dawg?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

If it all feels too much, just stick to these:

ffxiv_05022019_224945_221.png

The one on top is the main story quest. This will yield you most of your exp to level up and progresses the story. Most content in this game is locked behind story progression. It's also kind of a long ass tutorial.
    The second one ("Trial by Wind" in the picture) is your job quest. This will grant gear and sometimes unlock abilities.

A third icon to look out for is a blue/purpleish quest icon with a little plus next to it. This is a quest that will unlock some kind of content or feature for you, but you can always just come back to those later when you're ready.

The duty finder will hook you up with other random players to run content that requires a party, so you don't necessarily need to make friends or preform parties in this game to play 90% of content. But if you'd like, as a free trial user you can still join linkshells (a chat group). If you do want to form a party, but the other player(s) is also a free trial user, its common for trial players to ask in shout chat (/shout talks to all players on the map) for a subbed player to invite them to a party and then leave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

If you aren't doing optimal DPS in EVERY content including Guildhests then just quit the game because it's bad for you.

This is a joke. 95% of people wont notice and 99% of people won't care. The 1% is probably some weirdo who think's he's hot trout for clearing 1 raid.

This is an old post which is why i'm posting the useless joke now that you aremore settled in, I hope lol.

Also if you see any Mooncat's don't forget to /pet them!!! Doubly so if they have the name "Galina Astrum"

WoW, it's a pretty old post. Hope you enjoy FFXIV now.