Thread: Most underrated moments in the FF series

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco Most underrated moments in the FF series

What it says on the tin, what's a scene or sequence from an FF that you love but is often overshadowed by bigger sequences?

I really like the scenes with the Mayor of Fisherman's Horizon, there's some interesting stuff there that is touched upon but overshadowed by the reunion scene that immediately follows, and the light relief Irvine stuff after that.

The Zidane and Vivi pissing scene is really nice and sweet and placed about right where it needs to be.

Zidane meeting Freya in the pub is a good one too now that I think of FF9 - overshadowed by the fact they do smurf all with Freya after her little arc.

That part at the beginning of FFIX where one of the Knights of Pluto just yells "Fury!"

He should have had a bigger role, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The scene from FFVII in the elevator in the underwater reactor. The lovely young Shinra lady was very close to being double-teamed by two strapping young Shinra guards. Ultimately though, her lust remains unsatiated.

016B66CB-0B41-4073-87A8-3FCC2603DE95.jpeg

I always felt for this woman. Yes, the death of Aerith is upsetting… but the sad fate of this poor, frustrated young lady cannot be understated.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Not really sure what is underrated or not. Only scenes off the top of my head that are sort of "revered by the consensus" are FF4 twins sacrifice, Aerith's death, FF6 opera scene, FF6 Kefka destroys the world, and, probably a handful of other FF7 scenes, etc. Maybe the FF10 and FFT endings? Rydia's return? (almost all the aforementioned are among my personal favorite or respected scenes, as well)

But for me, I personally love the Kimahri vs Biran/Yenke scene at Mt Gagazet. Literally brings me to tears sometimes.

I also really liked both Irvine's introduction and failed assassination scenes. I feel like these are sorta underrated by general FF fans? I dunno, really.

Also, Guy talking to beavers. And Red XIII's first scene w/ his petrified dad (if that doesn't count as one of those handful of FF7 scenes).

I'm sure there are tons of minor scenes, moments, and dialog bits with the Figaro brothers, General Leo, Quistis, and Fran that made me love them so much, that I just can't remember in detail lol.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That scene in FFXII in the Golmore Jungle just before they enter Eruyt Village where Fran and Balthier have a little chat before she does her thing and opens the entrance. The body language and flirty dialogue between them is just incredibly understated but so gripping. They’re still my favorite FF couple

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also at Eruyt, I always appreciate how Vaan doesn't take the Viera's crap and in his naive but straightforward fashion gets them to spill the info they need. It's in that moment I feel like I "get" what the idea behind Vaan as a protagonist was, although sadly it's one of exceedingly few moments like it.

I mentioned this one in the Discord just a couple days ago, but one of my favorite scenes from FFIX is when the baby chocobo hatches from the egg in the Black Mage village, and the two Black Mages that looked after it feel such unfiltered joy and happiness at it and wishing to share it with the others and tearing up, it's hard not to be moved by it. It fits into the story perfectly in driving home that the "created" beings in FFIX are just human as well.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think about Sabin suplexing a train at least once a month.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Honeybee Inn!!