Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being here feels like visiting a childhood home.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Relm Being here feels like visiting a childhood home.

It feels like not much has changed here except the faces and voices I remembered have been replaced with dust bunnies and creaking floorboards. Shells of memories scattered all around-- memories once vivid, now blurry and distorted by the doppler effect from the speed of life moving forward in its relentlessly linear acceleration.

I joined here almost 17 years ago. I just turned 32 a couple days ago. It's been over half my life and the lights are still on, even if no one's home.

I was a weird kid. No idea how people dealt with me back then, but I'm grateful they did. It was a pretty dark time in my life, I needed the ability to connect with others in positive ways.

Dropping by here unburied some core memories and formative experiences that I can't help but wax nostalgic over, especially after changing the forum style to its objectively correct fluffy puffiness.

I don't really have much else of value to say. Just kind of a strange (and mostly pleasant) feeling browsing the same forums I used to browse as a kid on my mom's computer, except now I'm on my own computer, in my own home, in my own office.

(SPOILER)I still should have been a Cid's Knight at some point. Just sayin'.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do love the relative frequency with which an oldbie will pop up and wax poetic.

I think the notion of this place being a harbour for many different types of folks during very formative times in our lives resonates with almost everyone here. We've seen relationships come and go, marriages form, children pop out of the ground or wherever kids come from, arguments break out, songs made, games made, stories told; just a bit of everything has happened here, really.

Despite the fact that forums aren't necessarily the go-to social platform anymore, many of us are still here. It might not have the chaotic passionate energy of youth, but I come here daily and just settle in the tranquility of the place. Makes me feel like an old man sitting on my porch with my beloved: we don't need to talk as much as we used to or go on adventures as often as we did; it's nice just being together.

Seriousness aside, everyone should get off facebook, instagram, reddit and the like, and go back to online forums like EoFF. Social media is proven to be actively harmful for both individuals and society at large, whereas EoFF never did nothing wrong

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

We're pretty active on discord still, come see us!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We keep the lights on just for these types of pop ins! Like Quin said, we should all come back and post on the old school internet forums more as I find them nicely insulated from the rest of the trash in the internet social media scene. We do have the Discord, which is full of the super cool EoFFers you know and love but I find Discord chat too chaotic for my overly organized and methodological mind. I should probably post on it more because I need more friends.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dilapidated with mold growing on the walls and a homeless Mexican guy squatting in the "living room" as a makeshift barrel fire creates an orange glow that can be seen from the uneven sidewalk outside the overgrown front yard?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Boy it's like describing EoFF to a T

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    We keep the lights on just for these types of pop ins! Like Quin said, we should all come back and post on the old school internet forums more as I find them nicely insulated from the rest of the trash in the internet social media scene. We do have the Discord, which is full of the super cool EoFFers you know and love but I find Discord chat too chaotic for my overly organized and methodological mind. I should probably post on it more because I need more friends.
    The key to managing Discord is to mute all but 1 channel and only talk in that one.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Spuuky chats in at least 3 of the Discord channels, don't let him fool you.

Yeah but I don't have a crippling need for order in a chaotic world

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

"I can quit whenever I want" - Plato

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by A Pint of Quinness (pissboy) View Post
    I do love the relative frequency with which an oldbie will pop up and wax poetic.

I think the notion of this place being a harbour for many different types of folks during very formative times in our lives resonates with almost everyone here. We've seen relationships come and go, marriages form, children pop out of the ground or wherever kids come from, arguments break out, songs made, games made, stories told; just a bit of everything has happened here, really.

Despite the fact that forums aren't necessarily the go-to social platform anymore, many of us are still here. It might not have the chaotic passionate energy of youth, but I come here daily and just settle in the tranquility of the place. Makes me feel like an old man sitting on my porch with my beloved: we don't need to talk as much as we used to or go on adventures as often as we did; it's nice just being together.

Seriousness aside, everyone should get off facebook, instagram, reddit and the like, and go back to online forums like EoFF. Social media is proven to be actively harmful for both individuals and society at large, whereas EoFF never did nothing wrong
    I get it, yeah. Social media was always a mistake imo; I only exist in those spaces only because I feel obligated to. I'd delete my Facebook in a heartbeat if it was really up to what I wanted.

I have always and will continue to prefer forums. After I kinda stopped posted here I was an admin at another forum until it ended up circling the drain after a few years (as they tend to I suppose) and just ended up making SA my permanent hangout since it still remains active and seems pretty bulletproof to whatever would end other forums (nevermind the controversies and even the owner's death). It's not as close of a community and honestly far more impersonal in general, but that's okay.

Coming here kind of feels like rummaging through a closet and finding an old book you really used to like, so you kind of just sit there with junk scattered around you reading for a few hours. I do rather like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post

Discord is my actual home these days, for sure, and it's where I tend to get that "community" feeling moreso than I do over at SA. It's kind of nice how so many communities and topics of interest can exist within one space, and be accessible both from home and pretty much anywhere else I go. It's everything I'd have dreamed of having back in the 2000s, back when flip phone internet was the best we could do and clunky IRC apps on smartphones were all we could get for a while. It's even where I somehow fell into a long-distance relationship 5 years ago with someone who has been living with me for almost 2 years now (can't even really say she's "living with me" anymore, we literally bought a house together last year. It's ours and we live together ).

But that's just what has always drawn me to the internet in general-- it always gave me a sense of community and belonging that I never really had in person, and EoFF was one of the earliest places I called "home" in that sense.

I'll drop by the discord, sure. I go by Framboise pretty much everywhere these days, so if you see that name there, that's me.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is Psychotic still the coolest kid around? I wish my offsprings can be as cool as him.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Real talk, but the year I beat Psy for the Funniest Member Ciddie was legitimately a highlight of my life. Pretty sure it was over a decade ago, but the memory keeps me warm at night.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I hope it makes you harder than a cucumber!

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It did at the time, but I'm not as young as I used to be.