Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is dedicated to all Oldies

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

It’s literally almost Christmas. So, where’s Christmas?

So like, I doubt anyone will remember me. But I'm that guy who leaves and comes back several years later. I was more active on the FFL forums.

As for me, I've been having a nostalgia kick lately. I've logged into my AIM for the first time in forever (no one was on), recovered my LJ account and was reading all that. I've downloaded and played a few games that I used to play back in the day (still active in iRO) and just been reliving the past for a little bit. And that's what led me here...
    ...whatever.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WADDUP BELL!

Congrats on your second post. This is the Year of Rising Eizon

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

oh man, reading back through LiveJournal is such a painful experience for all kinds of reasons
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This thread really serve its purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    oh man, reading back through LiveJournal is such a painful experience for all kinds of reasons
    I didn't even want to finish reading mine. It's so cringworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintuky fied Chicken View Post
    WADDUP BELL!

Congrats on your second post. This is the Year of Rising Eizon
    I actually had more than 2 posts. All my other posts and threads got washed away in time. If I had to guess, I probably would be up to a grand total of 30 by now.
    ...whatever.

I'm doing well, thank you. Have a respectable career, respectable salary, respectable home, respectable family, and most importantly, respectable health. Generally, life has been very good, albeit I don't play games much anymore (like Final Fantasy) because adulthood has taken over. I occasionally left this place, but I've never told anyone why. Despite this, I've never really forgotten about it, and I'll keep coming back as long as the site is still there. Even if the folks who used to be close to me barely ever or never speak to me now, the pleasant recollections of our earlier times remain tenancy-free in my memory.

Do I count?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    Do I count?
    I don't know, do you?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Are we doing Dad's jokes now?

I don't know if I can truly classify myself as an 'oldie', at least not in terms of EoFF forum membership...

That said, I joined in 2008, and despite only posting 100-ish times between then and now (with most of those being early on) I certainly have a little soft spot for this place.

Heath was the one who convinced me to join, since we'd both been members of other FF forums (in fact, I ran a vaguely prominent one myself for a short period, but that's a different story). Something about an exodus from Fools Gold?...

The details of my membership elude me, but the genuine camaraderie of this place seems to never fade. It's great that it's still up, and that this corner of the web stands strong against the homogenisation of web communities.

My avatar - never changed since sign-up - is a sign of the approach I took to posting here. Not just silly and irreverent, but with a style that jars a little (much like the Villa team that David O'Leary managed). I'm always struck by people who use humour well to lubricate their message into the cranial capacity of others, and this place was full of people who could do that.

Humour being a sign of intelligence, it's no surprise that I equally enjoyed lurking in the threads on serious issues, watching the debate spark with very little space allowed for malice or bad faith. Can you imagine a debate around a serious topic on a free-for-all Facebook group? Actually, don't imagine that - you'll give yourself a headache.

For me, signing back into a forum you once frequented is less about where you are but more about who you are. I suspect many members my age just won't be able to make engaging here again a priority, but that doesn't mean we can't find a quiet joy by slowly and carefully retreading the paths we once danced along carefree.

As far as I'm concerned, we haven't changed. We'd still engage with the same freedom and warmth and regularity, were we able to. We'd still play the same series of games with dedication, and revere them as a small part of our very identity, given the chance.

We're still the same people who signed up almost two decades ago. This forum acts as a small needle, helping us sew a thread backwards through our history to help us keep contact with the child within.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I recently retrieved my LJ account and signed into my AIM for the first time in a very long time while no one else was online. I've relived the past for a brief while by downloading and playing a few games that I used to play back in the day (some of them are still active on iRO).

Quote Originally Posted by teniie3 View Post
    I recently retrieved my LJ account and signed into my AIM for the first time in a very long time while no one else was online. I've relived the past for a brief while by downloading and playing a few games that I used to play back in the day (some of them are still active on iRO).
    If you really want to be a convincing bot you probably shouldn't claim to have recently signed into a service that doesn't exist.

Blog Entries

Six years ago I found reddit and became addicted to fake internet points. Turns out EoFF was my gateway website. Thanks for those of you who boosted the confidence of a insecure teen voting him most underated, and those who taught him humility when he was nominated for most over rated.

I have a decent job and pretty chill life all things considered.

To all those I argued with where I was wrong: Sorry Ive learned and grown to be a better person and your comments were most likely a part of that process even if it didnt seem like it at the time. A lot of my posts are probably the ramblings of a young man trying to seem more expereinced and mature.
    To all those I argued with where I turned out to be right: HA I told you so.

PS. I was gay the whole time.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!