Thread: New Final Fantasy XVI trailer revealed during June State of Play

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default New Final Fantasy XVI trailer revealed during June State of Play

This one is very heavy on showcasing the summons. Looks like they fight each other in combat.

It seems like characters can transform into them or at least use their powers.

Summer 2023 release window

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Imagine training up your whole life because you know you have the power to turn yourself into a summon. Preparing yourself, working for years to master a skill, then in battle your finally ready to transform yourself for the first time and you turn into the chocobo summon

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The aesthetic, story, vibes, they all look smurfing rad as hell. I'm getting kinda Attack on Titan vibes with the eikons. The voice acting and music is great as well.

Not too sure what to make of the gameplay footage in battles though. Far too early to make a call, of course, but doesn't look entirely like my cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Imagine training up your whole life because you know you have the power to turn yourself into a summon. Preparing yourself, working for years to master a skill, then in battle your finally ready to transform yourself for the first time and you turn into the chocobo summon
    Failing to see the downsides here.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

It's been known since the first trailer that characters transform in to summons. We seen Joshua transforming in to Phoenix once he went in to a rage after seeing whatever character that was get slaughtered in front of him. The ones that can transform are called the "Dominants" who summon forth an "Eikon".

As for this trailer, I really enjoyed it. Personally I think that the combat looks great, and I'm glad to see that the Stagger system that was introduced in XIII remains in place. This encourages the player to switch up the playstyle rather than just spamming attack. Turn based Final Fantasy is definitely a thing of the past now - the series has definitely evolved. Some might not like that, but it is what it is, and if XV and FFVIIR are anything to go by I'm sure the game will have some type of slow down/tactical mode as an option for players not so confidant with the fast paced mechanics.

I'm intrigued by the 1vs1 summon fights. We pretty much can tell from this trailer that Clive is Ifrit. If the battles shown are pulled from the game then we can see that Clive (Ifrit) has a battle with Joshua (Phoenix). Clive also seems to be up against BTM (Big Tall Man/Titan), and UBL (Unknown Blone Lady/Garuda). I'm assuming you fight these characters head on as humans first but then there's some kind of gauge that fills before the characters transform in to their Eikons? I wonder whether these scenes will be interactive in anyway, with Quick Time Events or ways to increase attack power? Who knows! But I'm intrigued and can't wait to find out more about the game!
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The story is intriguing me. The gameplay looks a bit better than what I've seen with XV and VIIR but we'll have to see when we get our hands on it whether it's actually good or not.

Course I don't have a PS5, nor do I have enough reason to pick one up yet, so it may be a hot minute before I ever get to play this entry.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I could not care less for the battle system, but if it has some nice exploration and quests, I’m sold on the gameplay anyway. Everything else looks great and I can’t wait

looks great visually, basic plot ideas sound good. the gameplay looks fine so far but i'll wait until i see more. the VA still bother me - i just don't care for this kind of received pronunciation crap and the usual associated dialogue. mothersmurfers saying ponce trout like "henceforth". smurf off. say chocobo instead.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

that's just the ivalice accent

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    that's just the ivalice accent

AKA, the best accent. I’m ready for the Ivalice revival!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nothing blew me away but I felt the same way with FFXV and that ended up being fun. The summon battles look cool!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I am here for everything about it apart from the UI. I feel like the UI elements could be designed to much better compliment the visual direction of the game.

Right now it just looks like medieval fantasy but with an FFXIII/Dissidia style UI plastered on top - it's so jarring.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Coming from the XIV team I'm sure the UI will be customisable, with the option to turn off floating numbers etc.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Can the player transform into phoenix and fly around the world map? Pls give it an option to be able to drop bird poo on ppl's car.