Thread: Which Final Fantasy has the Worst Post-Game?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Which Final Fantasy has the Worst Post-Game?

Alright, the final dungeon is unlocked, the main villain is ready to destroy the world, and now it's time to tackle all those mini-games and super bosses just hanging around. So which one boils your blood the most?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I guess FF IX? The only actual postgame it has is Ozma who is about as unsatisfying as a boss can get.

I would be glad for you to elaborate on that actually, as I imagine a lot of people share that opinion and I'm just kinda left wondering if its sin is merely "existing". Like, it's kinda hard to compare stuff like FFX's to its predecessors for me personally since with the Omega Ruins alone it already has a more substantial postgame than literally any of the games before it except maybe FF VIII which at least had the Deep Sea Research Center. "Postgame dungeons" weren't really a norm.

Obviously it also has an insane grind with tons of pretty unimaginative bosses, which you can call bad, sure, and yeah it is I agree; but also nobody's forcing you to do it, and I appreciate that they had the courage to put it in instead of taking it out, as its existence likely paved the way for the games in the series after having way more refined postgame experiences.

Edit: Right, I guess a major part of it is also its notorious minigames. Honestly no idea what made them ever think it was a good idea to lock ultimate weapon parts behind doing so well in them. They'd be perfectly fine if there wasn't.
    Last edited by Karifean; 02-10-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFVIII took away more than it added with Time Compression. Definitely is the first to spring to mind for me.

Admittedly I can't recall every game's endgame scenario. FFXV was pretty much locked into the end area right? I imagine FFXIII was similar.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    FFVIII took away more than it added with Time Compression. Definitely is the first to spring to mind for me.
    Yes, really bad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But in XV you could go back in time with Umbra to do extra stuff anyway

VIII for sure, I define my Point-of-no-return as pre time compression for that reason, even if it's technically not true.

X is a close second pretty much solely because of the mini-games thing. There's also dark aeons which limit exploration unless you are ready to face them.

I guess FF I cos it was non-existent?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a toss up between X, XIII, and XV for me. The biggest issue with all three of them is that they all feel like busy work by the end of the day. I also just don't care enough for their battle mechanics to jump into a +20 hour brawl mode. I'd almost put FFXII here, but I like the ADB system and the Hunts have more elements to make them stand out.

For non-mainline entries, After Years is pretty atrocious, specially for a completionist. Just an endless dungeon grind with RNG treasure isn't fun. VIIR is also annoying since it's only available in Hard Mode with all its wonderful tricks. I almost want to count Type-0's NG+ nonsense as post-game...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, XV’s Royal Edition has a lot of cool stuff in its postgame. And I’ll take optional dungeons like Costlemark Tower over Blitzball any day

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    To be fair, XV’s Royal Edition has a lot of cool stuff in its postgame. And I’ll take optional dungeons like Costlemark Tower over Blitzball any day
    Costlemark isn't post-game though. It's a side quest in general and you can venture in as soon as you can reach it in Chapter 3. Pitios Ruins is the only post-game dungeon, besides the menace dungeons.

Default VII

But imagine if there WAS a mysterious post-game no one had heard of. How cool would that be? *smiles to self mischievously,*

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    FFVIII took away more than it added with Time Compression.
    Honestly, this is why I love the theory that Squall died/fell into a coma at the end of disc 1 and the rest is some weird afterlife/coma dream. It kinda makes more sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.