Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replaying FFXV

I'd like to see a dlc package that gets trapped between time zones in a time travel movie B-plot.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, finished up the last quests in Altissia, soon it will be Leviathan time, then it's all down hill from here.

I do wish there was an item that lets you change the time of day where you're at for Hunts and missions, Killed two days playing the monster betting game just so I could finish the hunts i took in. Also, 300,000 gil for a dish?!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright, finished Altissia and Episode Ignis. I am still processing how I feel about everything. I both love and hate Episode Ignis, and I can say that Altissia didn't age as well as I would have liked. I'll elaborate later when I have more time to think about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, episode Ignis is simultaneously the best one and also the one that kind of exacerbates the FFXV problem

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's pretty much how I'm feeling. The Ignis DLC hows the team had some great ideas and could have delivered a fantastic game if given more time to sort out the direction. Granted, some of this may have also stemmed from fan reaction. The 2013 Trailer highlighted this moment and almost none of it was used but the idea of it in the main game. The Ignis DLC delivers better and the DLC has better combat to boot.

The frustration of FFXV is the potential that is here, and how it fails to quite reach greatness. Like it's never bad, but FFXV often falls a bit flat in places.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finishing up Chapter 12 now. Just lost Prompto, so it's another DLC to do. I plan on doing Ardyn's after Chapter 13.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Episode Prompto is done. A step up from Gladio, but not quite as fun as Episode Ignis. Of Course, I blame that on my general aversion to shooter style games. I was hoping for more stealth sections personally.

Overall, Prompto's DLC feels the most relevant since it actually expands the plot. Gladio's is interesting, but largely fluff. Ignis chapter feels like it should have been in the main game, but ultimately isn't as important as you would think it is in hindsight. I feel like Ardyn's episode is going to piss me off a bit, but we'll see.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah Episodd Ardyn is also the best one and the worst one. It really fleshes out the world but also clearly builds up to some alternate golden ending we never ended up getting that got put in a novel instead and completely undoes the themes established in the main game

But it is very cathartic. It also has a single episode anime prologue so I recommend checking that out

Also, are you going to be doing Comrades? If so I recommend doing it (or at least creating your avatar) before World of Ruin

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll dabble in Comrades, but I'm likely not going to do much. I'm pretty much tapped out for XV, so I'm going to try to wrap this up within the next few days.

Finished the infamous Chapter 13, still did Noct's version, but I may do the alternate path in the future. I pretty much hold to my original opinion about it. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It just overstays its welcome. I did appreciate the Ring of Lucii getting beefed up. I remember in the original you had to practically do a dodgy dance party with an opponent to kill them with Holy, but now it just straight up murders most enemies.

Furthermore, I still think the whole prophecy of this game is contrived nonsense. Something all the games originating from the FNC seem to have in common.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’m always of the opinion that prophecies are allowed to be contrived

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I’m always of the opinion that prophecies are allowed to be contrived
    I am of the opinion that there is a limit to how contrived a prophecy can be. FNC has a habit of pushing said limit.

Finished Episode Ardyn, and that was... something, I guess. I like some parts of it, but overall, it felt a bit unnecessary. I also don't like when stories retroactively add in big prequel event nonsense that the main story never addresses because, you know, we decided to add this in after we wrote the main plot. The only thing that helps all this is that Ardyn's VA really sells this character. XV is lacking in charismatic characters, but Ardyn is definitely one of the best.

I did like the subtle shout-out to Type-0, with the names of the two Niflheim Units sent to retrieve him being named after the two l'Cie from the Byyakko faction.

Comrades is next, and I've already made a character for it, but I had to download the rest and overall, XV is a bit of a bitch in terms of using up my PS4's lackluster hardrive space.

Afterward, I can tackle Chapter 14 and move onto my next title on my backwards marathon.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts. Maybe I'm wrong but I saw you starting out quite enthusiastically but seem to be less keen as you progress further.

Also what will the next title be on your backwards marathon? FFXIV? Type-0? Lightning Returns? (though surely you'd have to begin with FFXIII if you were going to do that?)

edit: and now I see your thread in gen ff where you specifically talk about this

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I've enjoyed reading your thoughts. Maybe I'm wrong but I saw you starting out quite enthusiastically but seem to be less keen as you progress further.

Also what will the next title be on your backwards marathon? FFXIV? Type-0? Lightning Returns? (though surely you'd have to begin with FFXIII if you were going to do that?)

edit: and now I see your thread in gen ff where you specifically talk about this
    I plan on doing a short write-up in the other thread when I'm finished. But it has been a sobering experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Comrades... is a thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor