View Poll Results: Which is better?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • The OG, can't be beat!

    2 33.33%
  • The Remake is already better, and promises to even be cooler than that!

    0 0%
  • Bro, the Remake isn't even done. Stop this...

    4 66.67%
  • Psht... VII was never good.

    0 0%
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Which one is better?

  1. #1
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    19,440
    Articles
    59
    Blog Entries
    26
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default Which one is better?

    Surprised no one did this yet. But between the OG and the Remake, which do you think is better overall?

  2. #2
    Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    53,213
    Articles
    71

    Default

    I don't know. The first part of the Remake is setting up plot threads that won't be resolved until the later episodes, and it's impossible to know how satisfying the payoff will be.

    Obviously and objectively the Remake is a better game, and many of its original ideas are great. I think I might have had more fun on the og. I know the obvious argument of those feelings being nostalgia fueled, and yeah, I can't say otherwise.

    I reflected on this the other day though and I don't really buy into the dispassionate clinical objectivity mindset when assessing art, which is what video games are. Those feelings are still real for me, wherever they came from. Hearing the opening bars of certain songs or wandering around Cosmo Canyon cause my brain to make the happy juice, so that makes the game a beautiful thing.

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't think the OG game can be beat, for similar reasons to Psy I guess. The OG gets the happy juices flowing for me. Remake (so far) has been very enjoyable and there are some great callback type moments and other things I really loved, but I don't think it will ever the impact that OG did when I was a young'un.

  4. #4
    Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pious Moose's HQ
    Posts
    13,318
    Blog Entries
    6
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default

    Remake sux cuz I got no time to buy myself a good comp or a console. I just watch YouTube videos on it like some losers.

  5. #5
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    52,354
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Twintania)

    Default

    They're both amazing. Too early to compare because we've only seen Midgar for the Remake.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  6. #6
    Born to be mild Dr. Acula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    I love them both but I'm worried the Remake is going to get bad at some point. Probably from changing too much.

    OG is still best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm gonna wait until the full remake story is out before deciding which is "better" but so far I really liked the remake, though it did stumble in a few areas i.e train graveyard and revisiting the sewers for the millionth time. I imagine the base story will mostly be the same but with more fleshing out of each area and truckloads of sidequests in every town, as opposed to OG where we just breeze on through after a single event per town. (SPOILER)Also it might try something similar to FF8 where we play through two separate timelines, the one with Cloud which continues the story as it were and the one where Zack survives and is the "main hero".

    Gameplay-wise remake clears, mostly because it's actually somewhat challenging unlike OG, which was mostly braindead easy aside from the occasional difficulty spike boss battle. Materia system works just as well here as in OG, and I loved how each weapon actually now has a function and difference besides stats.

    Also it's kinda funny because I think the remake improved every character EXCEPT Cloud, who just doesn't have nearly as much of a personality as he did in the original. In OG FF7 even just judging the Midgar portion of the game he had more agency, he showed more emotion, he got into conflicts with other characters, he cracked jokes (like when he joked about Aerith having what it takes to be in SOLDIER after escaping the church) etc. in remake he doesn't have much to say and just acts stoic and socially awkward most of the time.

  8. #8
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    52,354
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Twintania)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Also it's kinda funny because I think the remake improved every character EXCEPT Cloud, who just doesn't have nearly as much of a personality as he did in the original. In OG FF7 even just judging the Midgar portion of the game he had more agency, he showed more emotion, he got into conflicts with other characters, he cracked jokes (like when he joked about Aerith having what it takes to be in SOLDIER after escaping the church) etc. in remake he doesn't have much to say and just acts stoic and socially awkward most of the time.
    I think this is where voice acting comes into play more than anything. What we might have assumed were confident jokes could also be read in really awkward ways. Voice acting dictates this for us rather than our imagination, which means we have a more exact character but perhaps not the character we preferred to imagine. I'm with you, though. The best voice acted Cloud so far was in World of Final Fantasy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  9. #9
    Recognized Member Jessweeee♪'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    i'm on a sandbar help
    Posts
    19,880
    Blog Entries
    12

    FFXIV Character

    Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

    Default

    I really like them both and they're too different to compare

  10. #10

    Default

    Id like to see an a FF VII creator studio where we could all create scenes with the original resources.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Also it's kinda funny because I think the remake improved every character EXCEPT Cloud, who just doesn't have nearly as much of a personality as he did in the original. In OG FF7 even just judging the Midgar portion of the game he had more agency, he showed more emotion, he got into conflicts with other characters, he cracked jokes (like when he joked about Aerith having what it takes to be in SOLDIER after escaping the church) etc. in remake he doesn't have much to say and just acts stoic and socially awkward most of the time.
    I think this is where voice acting comes into play more than anything. What we might have assumed were confident jokes could also be read in really awkward ways. Voice acting dictates this for us rather than our imagination, which means we have a more exact character but perhaps not the character we preferred to imagine. I'm with you, though. The best voice acted Cloud so far was in World of Final Fantasy.
    Yeah and no doubt much of Cloud's real personality would have been lost in the horribly mangled English translation, wouldn't be the last time it happened either (as literally the next FF game would prove) but despite that OG Cloud felt more like an actual character than remake Cloud, who didn't really have much to him besides some jokes about his social awkwardness.

  12. #12
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    52,354
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Twintania)

    Default


    ^ The Cloud I love.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    I’d like to see an a FF VII creator studio where we could all create scenes with the original resources.
    We all know this would mostly be used for Rule 34 purposes and not much else, and I am pretty confident people are doing that already, so...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  13. #13
    Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pious Moose's HQ
    Posts
    13,318
    Blog Entries
    6
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default

    I see u are into tentacles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •