Thread: A perfect game

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default A perfect game

If you could take bits of various games and build a game from them, how would you do it? Right now I'm looking for a new chill game for me to play, and I keep thinking of bits and pieces of other games.

I'd love to have the base building style of Sims 4, the fishing and cooking from Final Fantasy XV, the hunting of the Tomb Raider series, the technology tree of modded Rimworld, the NPC depth of My Time in Portia, the calm moments of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the leveling system of Skyrim, the sense of adventure of No Man's Sky, the pacing of Subnautica, the world variety of Final Fantasy XIV... the dream list just goes on and on in my head.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

One that support Mods seamlessly

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, a perfect game only exist in your memories.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Also, a perfect game only exist in your memories.
    why you gotta hurt me like this
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Yakuza 0 is about as close as I've come to finding one I think. I never 100% games because I usually cba with stupid fetch quests. Not only did I 100% Yakuza 0, I was immediately crippled by an overwhelming sense of loss and grief upon doing so. Was completely bereft at the idea that there was no more, and had no idea what to do with myself. What a game! Just finished playing Ghost of Tsushima though and that has run it an excruciatingly close second.

To have a stab at your exercise, though...

- Yakuza 0's fluid/varied combat system with the OTT finishers. When you get used to it flowing around the battlefield lenging baddy after baddy is super satisfying.
    - Ghost of Tsushima's world design because holy trout. Half my playthrough of that game was me wandering around the map marveling at the beauty of literally every-fucken-thing.
    - Mass Effect party writing and development. Just finished replay of the OG trilogy a few months ago and god damn. So many of that cast are just S-tier.
    - Sticking with ME, a Galaxy Map equivalent with the music. Spending hours reading the lore of all the planets to find the hidden gems that make my imagination tingle mm mm yes please.
    - Peak Uematsu OST because what else?
    - A multi-option approach to completing quests - Using comedy dialogue options to win fights is just entertaining.
    - Saints Row 2 character creation and full co-op with friends, and high levels of freedom to dick around and create your own amusement. G
    - A horse that the writers don't get me attched to only to kill for dramatic effect without giving me the option to save it the fucking s

might add to this later

Yakuza 0 IS a great game, but it seems like there are still plenty of obvious flaws in it, right?

Like, the game would clearly be a little better if you could just save the game anywhere on the street instead of having to chase down a payphone, and it could have better inventory management, the baseball minigame could be implemented better, it could be fully voiced for the substories instead of just the main story, etc. Could probably list an almost arbitrarily large number of little things, really.

These may all seem like nitpicks, and they are, because it's a great game. But "perfect" is a very high bar!