Thread: Spoilers up to the end of 'The Last K' chapter / getting 'A V Complete' achievement

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Spoilers up to the end of 'The Last K' chapter / getting 'A V Complete' achievement

This thread can be used to freely discuss the game up to the point where you receive the 'A Vessel Complete' achievement / end the 'The Last King' chapter.

You can feel free to post unmarked spoilers about this portion of the game in this thread.

...So.

I think I'm around the point that I don't have much to say and just want to finish the game. But in the spirit of consistency, let's dive into what just happened...

Edda seems nice, it's cool to see the entirity of Ash isn't dead/turned.

And we got the Darkness instilled into us, like I kind of expected but kind of hoped wouldn't happen. I'm still triggered that we've not seen Leviathan's Dominant yet. I know it's "Leviathan the Lost" but we're supposed to be "A Vessel Complete", not "A Vessel with the Seven Remaining Ones Because The Other One Got Lost". pure speculationI wonder if Edda, her baby, or the Medicine Girl will be the next Leviathan? Possibly Suspicious Character? I feel like it has to happen, finding out who it is... I hope they don't make it a DLC because in all seriousness, having only seven of eight established dominants doesn't sit right. Maybe it'll be something like "oh, yes, you got your vessel, but oh ho ho it won't work because it's missing water" or "oh, we can kill Ultima using water, his one weakness" or something. I dunno really, just spitballing. If they make no attempt to resolve this it's going to be listed a sa disappointing omission for me. I feel like they will do something, though.
    I hope.

Sooooooo many sidequests lately. And it looks like they're not over yet, as another popped up in Ash of all places after getting the achievement/chapter completion. I wonder how that one will work out?

I guess we're getting into the real endgame now. Maybe one or two more story achievements? I'll find out tomorrow. Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow! Maybe I'll hear the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare...? It's been completely absent in this game and I feel it's noticeable. I remember Dan (DK) mentioned that when you beat a miniboss or boss it feels like they should add something cinematic because it just... well, does nothing but end the fight. Notably, in silence. No music at all for the boss clear screen.

Barnabas was underwhelming overall for me. Felt like a pretty average fight with very little primal time, which is the best part of these kind of fights. I did use more potions than any other fight, but mostly because I just felt like I could get away with being careless in favour of a faster fight (minus the cost of 5-7 potions, I was correct, I could get away with it).

Baranabas is my least liked villain out of the core group of them. Benedikta, Hugo and Annabella were all better. Barnabas just had no real consistency for me, and felt very detached from us for the most part, and then for some reason started going completely off-character. Which might be for "character development" in the kind of going-crazy way, but I don't buy it. Just felt like it wasn't done as well as the rest.

Only one more character left to add to the Tomes Persons of Interest list! I wonder who it will be? Looks like they're in the Hideaway area, whoever it is. Maybe it'll be that Suspicious Character on the roof area.

"You took her Eikon, didn't you!?" Joshua, that's not all he took, at least in my headcanon.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Although the political intrigue and character building of this game are good, the overarching story continues to weaken as we go. The bleaker this world becomes, the less interested I am in saving it.

I died to Barnabas, which was the first story battle I died to in a long time. He is legit tough, and I appreciate that. He blocks attacks, teleports, and has some massive area skills. A definite step up from recent bosses. Though it was also in part from attrition as he has a lot of health and there was a boss gauntlet right before. I just got tired of dodge dodge attack Diamond Dust Heat Wave Gouge, repeat.

There were a lot of wrap up quests coming into the Ash section. Again I appreciate the connection to the storyline with the quests. I was legit sad to see Theo die in a quest, but I like when the quest stakes are real.

Something that bugs, why are there separate attack and stagger stats when every sword is the same in each? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Maybe I'll hear the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare...? It's been completely absent in this game and I feel it's noticeable.
    The fanfare is there, for some of the major boss or quest clears. Have you not heard it? It is a lot deeper tone but it is there.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 03-19-2024 at 09:38 PM.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The post above was actually before I beat Odin because I paused after I died. Turns out there was only a little to go. I’m super disappointed in the lack of a major Eikon battle with Odin especially given how powerful he was built up to be.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, the Odin fight felt significantly less epic than all the others to me. It didn't help that I found Barnabas to be very much a token character throughout, basically just an obligatory henchman. All the villains we faced before him felt much more personal because of the various shenanigans going on between them, but Barny's backstory felt very poorly explored.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!