Thread: What defines NG+ to you? (possible gameplay spoilers for a few games)

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Default What defines NG+ to you? (possible gameplay spoilers for a few games)

So I'm playing Armored Core 6 and it has somewhat of a hybrid NG+ system. It is like the traditional NG+ system where you just do the same campaign over again, but w/ your already-existing character w/ their stats, gear, etc carried over from your first/prior playthrough. But it is also like the Nier games (Automata and Replicant/Gestalt) where new paths, new narratives, new perspectives, etc open up and are exclusive to additional playthroughs.

Bear in mind, I stated "additional playthroughs", b/c it was generally not considered NG+ for Nier, given that the additional playthroughs essentially added to the original playthrough, most fans adopting the mindset of "the first playthrough is actually playing the game 4 times" type of deal. And I'd agree. And one thing to note, I'm not sure how many games offer a NG+ system and actually officially call it "New Game +" in their game. But that's neither here nor there, just a note on semantics...although this thread is sorta about semantics lol.

But anyway, the general consensus is to still call AC6's system "NG+" and I think that's because the new narratives and paths are essentially "optional", as they depend on choices the player makes as they play that new playthrough (and even previous playthroughs, technically).

So it just got me thinking... Should NG+ be defined as something more rigid of just "take your existing character and play the same campaign again (but of course now you can make different decisions that affect the campaign...but those decisions were still available in the 1st playthrough)" or is there some flexibility? If NG+ has new, unique content exclusive to it, should that technically be "NG+" too? Does it matter to what degree? Like Niers is so different, that's why it is not called "NG+". And iirc, Chrono Trigger's NG+ opened up new dungeons or optional content? But the campaign remained the same, aside from any different choices the player made from their first playthrough, of course, correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think Sea of Stars is also adding some unique content exclusive to NG+ in that same spirit.

So should NG+'s definition just be dependent on the main campaign and what narrative/story/world elements may or may not be optional? Should your character's stats carry over even fully matter? I heard Starfield has limits on what stats/skills carry over in NG+ (I'm sure other games do, too). What are your thoughts?
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd still call AC6's system NG+, yes it features new content and a new ending options, but I feel like 80% of the game is still the same. Nier is different because the second and third playthroughs are very different with new perspective, new character controls and even if it still follows the same path up to a point, it's still altered enough to feel different. I think of them more as new campaigns.

I feel that NG+ in the most simple of definitions, is when a game allows you to replay the game with altered content from the original playthrough, but is still at least 75% the same game.

I love what "Nier" did (especially "Automata") with it's post Ending A playthrough being different perspectives and then totally new scenarios that fill in and complete more of the story. It's essentially 4 games with 5 proper endings (joke endings aside). I've always enjoyed the idea of unlocking other parts of the story more so than just carrying over your junk from the last completed playthrough as a reward for finishing.

Though I'm not opposed to that type of NG+ either. I just finished the first "Parasite Eve" and the second playthrough was actually better as I could carry over my weapons (which were fairly powerful but not game breakingly OP) and even opened up a totally new part of the map in the Chrysler Building for optional gameplay and even some more story elements not present in the first playthrough.

There's a place for both but I tend to prefer when the story is built on in NG+ rather than just keeping your items and weapons from the previous playthrough just to cheese the exact same game a second, third, fourth time. Unless there's some reward in doing so (extra story elements or something that adds to the narrative like character bios or epilogues or something), I'll usually opt to start fresh on a replay.