Thread: Halloween Gaming 2023!!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Halloween Gaming 2023!!!

My annual tradition of trying to play horror game during the month of October. Though this thread is really a catch all for talking about spooky scary games.

I'm a big fan of horror and spooky games and movies so this is right up my alley. I tend to start Halloween times pretty early (been playing horrors since late August) and to be honest I play them all year round anyway! This month I did a couple of survival horror "marathons".

Started with a "Parasite Eve" trilogy (though it's hard to call "The Third Birthday" a horror let alone a "Parasite Eve" game but I did it anyway) in late August. This was actually my first playthrough of the series as it was never released in PAL format (the original at least). The first game is insanely good. Great story, characters, lovely self contained setting with nothing too berserk or bombastic, amazing music. The 2nd one wasn't bad either, though it took a little bit more to actually figure out what was going on and how it related to the first game. The less said about the 3rd one the better, though some of the ideas presented in it could have worked if they were implemented better. It's an absolute shame the series got dropped and doesn't even get recognised by Square anymore.

Following that I played through "Dino Crisis" 1 & 2. Classics I play pretty much replay on a yearly basis and have done since the early 2000's. Still love those games with all my heart and again, like with "Parasite Eve", it's criminal that the series has been dropped. Regina needs to return and stat! Or should I say 'TRAT'? Or 'SORT'?

So for my continued horror experience I was thinking of jumping up a few console generations and replaying through "The Evil Within" 1 & 2 next.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to try and finish either Silent Hill 4: The Room, or the first Amnesia game. I also would like to start Fatal Frame, but I may be biting off more than I can chew since my gaming time is shorter than it used to be.

"Silent Hill 4: The Room" is great. Probably one of my favs from the series, though some of the ghost enemies are a bit frustrating at times. I've still not played "Amnesia". It's been on my radar for years but I swear I always forget it exists!

As for "Fatal Fame", I actually own it on the original Xbox (though it was called "Project Zero" here for some reason) but I still haven't attempted it. Mainly because I'm not a fan of the Xbox controller.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Amnesia is okay, but it's brand of horror is sort of lost on me. The game is trying to make me freak out by going into the spooky room, but I'm pretty cool with just going for it. Silent Hill's combat is a chore, but at least it has the fun side effect of making you dread monsters. lol

I have Parasite Eve 1 as well, which I've never played all the way through, so maybe that might be in the running as well.

Parasite Eve is totally worth it. Highly recommend. It's kind of like the marriage of Resident Evil and Final Fantasy (for lack of better comparison) as it uses RPG style elements within a survival horror style game. Something that on paper shouldn't work, but really does. And quite well.

Silent Hill's combat is a chore, but at least it has the fun side effect of making you dread monsters. lol
    100%, haha. I hardly ever kill anything in Silent Hill unless it happens to either be easy to kill, in my way or in a place I'm going to be constantly coming back to. Which doesn't work so well for Silent Hill 4 though considering the ghosts are indestructible unless you have one of those cursed sword things that pin them. Even then those swords are super limited.