This discussion will have spoilers through Chapter 2.

It took me a while to get back to this game as I was "Final Fantasied out" after FFXVI and also wanted to get to God of War Ragnarok which I've had sitting for a while. But now I'm back baby!

I really love this game so far. Exploring the open world beyond Kalm and Bill's ranch has been very fun. I like the side activities, though I could see how this would become repetitive later.

I love the ease of fast travel and chocobo travel. You are not encumbered at all to travel. I wish there was a little more enemy variety or concentration in the open world but I'm not super itching to battle anyway.

Chadley is as annoying as ever but I do like all the activities he opens up. His battle simulator is pretty fun and reminds me of the Gold Saucer battle arena from the original. I like how unlocking the summon caves made Titan much easier. Nice to have a real reward for the exploration.

Crafting is also fun and it is cool that the craft items are plentiful and easy to pick up on chocobo.

The character interaction has been great. I appreciate the banter as you walk through the world and that sidequests tend to focus on one of the companions. Subtle things like Billy calling Cloud "pops" or Barrett's random quips, really make it more enjoyable.

Unlike Remake, I am getting the handle of the combat in this game. The addition of synergy skills and abilities helps focus my flow of battle. I am also paying more attention to what pressures an enemy. Sense is a mandatory materia on Cloud. The fight against midgardsormr was fun and cool to see its iconic end was retained.