Thread: Moderators and administrators

Moderators and administrators

I know what knights and admins are supposed to do, but how are they supposed to act?

Example:

If a mod belittles an entire forum of users for their elitist attitudes. Whether it was done in jest or not is irrelevant. It certainly was not taken in jest by users who complained to the moderator about it, and he/she did not apologize in the thread or delete it.
    He/She later had problems with another user who was sending her profane e-mail through the EoFF boards server. He/She was right to request that he be banned. He was banned. Unfortunately, his IP range is so wide that such countermeasures do not work very well. He returned to the boards and angrily complained about what happened. The mod became upset in the thread and referred to the user alternately as a "f***ing troll", an "f***ing pervert".
    I suppose common sense is part of being a mod, but if it really hurt the mod on a personal level?

As for the administrators.
    In the example mentioned above, the mod responds in kind because he/she is hurt and angry.
    What should the admin do?
    Should it be...
    Inappropriate, over the line, without restraint. Moderator status removed.
    Or...
    Give the mod a warning and let it pass?

Here is the reality....(at least that's what I think)
    He/She will never be reinstated as a mod. If he/she was, it would completely undermine the Eyes on Final Fantasy message boards credibility.

EDIT:
    ...I know I know... I'm not asking for help... bleh

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which mod here does this? I certainly haven't seen it happenning (and I hope it isn't me either ) I assume you're referring to this board since you explicitly mentioned it towards the bottom of your post.

As for how we act, I guess we act like ourselves (I know I do) - you can probably see we have different types of humour and like to post in different types of thread like regular users, and are not all the same. To some extent, I guess we act as an example to others too e.g. not flaming, spamming etc. though occasionally there'll be the odd exception (*remember's Bleys' "menstruation" thread* xD - not an excuse for the rest of you to try that lest you flood the board with spam )

An admin might be better for answering the later parts of your question
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

I'm confused as well, where is this taking place?

Default I'm not native english speaking mkay!...heh...Don't make me write a friggin' essay...

Originally posted by crono_logical
    I assume you're referring to this board since you explicitly mentioned it towards the bottom of your post.
    Originally posted by Scottie
    I'm confused as well, where is this taking place?
    WHOA!! My bad, I was just making an example and used "EoFF" and "Eyes on Final Fantasy" because it was the boardname, that first came to mind.

As for how we act, I guess we act like ourselves (I know I do) - you can probably see we have different types of humour and like to post in different types of thread like regular users, and are not all the same. To some extent, I guess we act as an example to others too e.g. not flaming, spamming etc. though occasionally there'll be the odd exception (*remember's Bleys' "menstruation" thread* xD - not an excuse for the rest of you to try that lest you flood the board with spam )
    And you don't have any "guidelines" to follow? I mean, something like "You are now a mod. Be nice and respect the users etc etc..."
    ...I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Which mod here does this? I certainly haven't seen it happenning (and I hope it isn't me either )
    heh... yeah, that is the cool thing about EoFF. I haven't seen any of the mods/admins have the slightest touch of "attitude". And I haven't seen any "evil things" going on here like in the beforementioned example.

And ummm Scottie... If this takes place here and cl is the beforementioned mod... what would an admin do?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Re: Moderators and administrators

Originally posted by Bulldog
    If a mod belittles an entire forum of users for their elitist attitudes. Whether it was done in jest or not is irrelevant. It certainly was not taken in jest by users who complained to the moderator about it, and he/she did not apologize in the thread or delete it.
    He/She later had problems with another user who was sending her profane e-mail through the EoFF boards server. He/She was right to request that he be banned. He was banned. Unfortunately, his IP range is so wide that such countermeasures do not work very well. He returned to the boards and angrily complained about what happened. The mod became upset in the thread and referred to the user alternately as a "f***ing troll", an "f***ing pervert".
    I suppose common sense is part of being a mod, but if it really hurt the mod on a personal level?
    Ok, let's see how I see this. You're giving an example. Ok, I see it like this. Let's say that the forum you are talking about is FFVII. The users in that forum are having some fun that they are fake-flaming each other about something from the game, mocking each other, all in fun. The moderator, however, comes in and sees this flaming, not knowing that the users are doing it all in fun, takes the fake-flaming seriously and warns the members involved in the thread. Ok. I guess that's it... I dunno.

As for what moderators do and how they behave and act. Basically, we work on our own on lenient assignments, like editting double posts, closing threads, etc. But when it comes to actually warning a member, we work together as a team, along with the administrators. Once a member has been warned, we pay close attention to that specific member if they don't take the warning as serious as they should take it, and we spot them doing something after being warned, we'd ban them.

Anyways, do mods get angry? Sure, we do. It's normal that people get angry, but do we let it affect how we work as mods, I certainly hope we don't.

Anyways, as mods, we take what we do seriously. Some of us more serious than others, but all in all, we're all doing a good job.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

Default Re: I'm not native english speaking mkay!...heh...Don't make me write a friggin' essay...

Originally posted by Bulldog
    And ummm Scottie... If this takes place here and cl is the beforementioned mod... what would an admin do?
    Well I would personally take him aside and have a talk with him, explaining how one should contuct himself while moderating and make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

The administration as well as the moderators hand pick all new mods, so something like that would most likely never happen.

I see.... Thank you for clarifying!