Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RM2K thread *@______@*

Default RM2K thread *@______@*

I decided to make this thread for all of us who are using RPG maker. We could use this thread for everything related to this program. You can ask help (which I will probably ask heaps), you can give tips, you can share your sprites, tiles, random discussion...anything really you can imagine.
    I could start asking how experienced you are with RM2K? How many games you have created? I personally downloaded this just few days ago and am still in learning process. I guess I get switches and variables pretty well now, and am starting EoFF based RPG.

I actually need help right away: I love making cutscenes, flashbacks, dream sections and stuff like that carries the story entertainigly. I'm having problems with "move section thing". Sometimes when I make character to move (for example): Step left, step up, step up, step right, step up, face left, face right, face down, the problems is that character might just take one step left or something. It so often seems to ignore how it's supposed to move.*_;

*is too lazy to register some RPG Maker Forum* I trust I can get all I need here in EoFF.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Yes, and I too have thought of using this nice little tool

Even though it was translated by a Russian -_- *has ONE prejudice*

Well, it's Japanese, and that's enough to convince me that it's not THAT horrible :P

Though it IS simple -_-

I have another question, just curious: Let's say I create this game. I have a cd-burner. Can I with help of some program make this game to work with Playstation?
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Here's a noodle scratcher.....
    I'm trying to make it so that when you input a passcode into a computer a door opens up across the room, but the only probabelm is I dont know how to do such a thing.... it's probably really really basic, but I have a less-than-basic mind.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Mik: I dont't think the game you make will work on a Playstation.

Spiff: Well I fielded your question on AIM, but I'll post out conversation for anyone else that wants to see the answer.

BlkKnight1007: First, go into the event you want to handle the password
    BlkKnight1007: (you know how to do that right?)

RedHotChiliAZ: Yes
    BlkKnight1007: ok
    BlkKnight1007: go to the point in the event script where you want the password to be entered, and double click so you get the event commands window
    BlkKnight1007: Then, go to tab 1, and select "input number" (left side, 5th one down)
    RedHotChiliAZ: Alright, Ive gotten that far...
    BlkKnight1007: ok, now select the number of digits you want your passcode to be (should be simple). Then select the variable you want the code to be stored in (just pick a blank one and give it a name). Once you're done, OK everything back to the event editor window
    BlkKnight1007: Now for part 2, having the event recognize your password
    BlkKnight1007: Figure out everything?
    RedHotChiliAZ: Up to this point, yes
    BlkKnight1007: ok, just let me know so I can keep going
    BlkKnight1007: OK, now for your next command, go to page 3 and select "fork command" (right side, 5th down)
    RedHotChiliAZ: Alright, keep going
    BlkKnight1007: Here, select the variable option, select your variable, under set put in the password, and make sure the last "sub-option" reads same. Hit OK and you're done
    RedHotChiliAZ: Done
    BlkKnight1007: Then under the first fork, you put all the events for if the password is correct and under "else" you put all the events for if the password is incorrect
    RedHotChiliAZ: Coo! Thanks!
    BlkKnight1007: np
    RedHotChiliAZ: Could you beta teat the game fer me, once I further along? It's gonna be a doozy!
    BlkKnight1007: sure
    RedHotChiliAZ: Excellent, and thanks for your time
    BlkKnight1007: You're welcome. Now to go finish my RPG...I have this strange feeling that I'm going to start to get swamped with people asking questions
    RedHotChiliAZ: Heh
    BlkKnight1007: I'm aiming to get this thing done by the end of the month
    Do the la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-lalaaa-laa-lada!

Everything you wanted to know about my RPGs and more.

Well I too like you Mik am making a EoFF based RPG.

Ummm anyway onto the questions. I need help in making sprites that RM will actually let me use. Everything I get is in the wrong format or something so I need help with some of this stuff. What I need is right now a crystal sprite that looks signicant and powerful and such.

And also a sprite that looks like Enrike (the guy that's a fist fighter when you start out a game and is one of the default heros.) I need one of those that looks darker with more of a evil touch.

Also what do variables do and also how do I get the hero to dissapear so you can't control him for cut scenes or something.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

To make the hero disappear, use the Set Hero Transparency event and set it to transparent. This will make him disappear... then, when you want him back, use the same event but set it to visible or what ever the second command is.

As for the graphics, make your own or download them from links on the RM2K site...

Now, for my problems XD

1) My character won't move... I've been testing my charcter at the beginning of the game but he won't move. Using the event I listed above, I made him invisible at the beginning so he couldn't be seen in the intro but when he reappears he won't move... I can't understand why. He teleports into the map into an open space, there is nothing in the square he's standing in... he reappears via the transparency event as an auto-start linking into a change switch...

2) I want the screen to start from mystery point A and then pan to where my character starts off on the screen, but I can't work out how to do it. Is it even possible, and if so, how do I do it?
    Last edited by Spatvark; 05-13-2002 at 12:22 AM.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Spatvark: 1) The Chipsets you are trying to walk on might be set so that they are classified, i guess, as a wall. Go to Data editor or something (Im not on the same computer as my RPGMaker so I dont know exact words, help?) Then go to "Chipsets" then find the atual Chip and change it from X to O. This will make it possible for you to walk on it.

2) Yes Screen Pans are possible. Just make an even and find the Event Command called "Screen Pan" I haven't made a screen pan yet so I can't give you more info. Sorry.

Here's some more questions I forgot to ask BlkKnight....
    1)After Im done with the whole Password thing, how to I make a door open on the other side of the room?
    2)I've made an opening scene and its pretty nifty. It's set to Auto Start so it goes right when you start the game. However, when the scene is done (And it's pretty lengthy) It starts all over again! Why?!? *explodes trying to figure it out*

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

For number two, you need to add a command at the end of the intro event called a change switch command. Select a switch to change to an then create a new page in that event and in the event conditons, set the switch to the one you changed the first page to and voila, it's done..

I'll simplify that:

1) Select the intro event and open it
    2) Add an Event Command called Change Switch
    3) Give it a name you can easily remember, e.g. End Intro
    4) Create a new page in the same event
    5) On the new page, check the first switch box in the Event Commands
    6) Select the End Intro switch
    7) Click OK
    8) Test it and it should work fine

As for my problems, it's a normal floor tile so he should be able to walk on it and as for the panning, all pans start from the hero's position so meh...
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Spiff: First of all, the easiest way to maintain a sequence of events within a dungeon is to have one variable dedicated to each dungeon. So for your password door, when you make an event that only happens once, after it completes you increment this counter variable by 1 through the change variable command (note that all variables start at zero). So for your password door, if the value is the proper one, you increment this dungeon counter by one. Then for the door that opens, you add a new page to the event. In this new page you select the variable condition and select the proper variable and the value that corresponds with what the password event incremented to (note that you should increment variables by set just to make sure things work properly) after you have the proper variable set up, you then change what's displayed to the blank space on the chipset (usually on the chipset1 palette and the first space). Then add in your move events and you're done.

Hope this makes sense
    Do the la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-lalaaa-laa-lada!

Everything you wanted to know about my RPGs and more.

Spatvark - 2)To start the screen pan from a mystery point, you could change the hero just for that scene.

i.e. make a character in the database (itdoesnt matter what graphic) and make them transparent. Now before you teleport to the scene with the pan, change you hero to the transparent character (change party - remove hero, change party - add hero).
    Now just teleport the transparent character to the spot where you want to start the pan and pan to an event with the graphic of your hero. Then when you want to move just swap the heros around again.

Im fairly new to RPG maker as well but I muck around with this stuff all the time with my RPG so I hope Ive helped.

Originally posted by BlkKnight

Hope this makes sense
    Accualy, it didn't... *is a retard* could you dumb it down a little please?

*sigh* So anyone can't help in that move event thing I mentioned in my first post? I've even tried to put "wait a moment" between every move, doesn't help.=\
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I'll see to it, Mik

They might not move the whole distance because you've got something happenning right after the movement. Normally whatever youve got in the event right after the movement wont wait for the movement to finish.

eg: If youve got an old grannie moving across the screen and you have her saying something after it, the message box will come up as soon as she starts moving. You need to select the "wait" option and set it for a number of seconds. (Not the "wait a moment" command, that will only affect the object moving, not the whole event).

So in case ive confused you, just select the wait command after the movemnt from the list of events thing.

I dont know if Ive helped you cos I dont know the problem properly but blkknight may be able to help you.