Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just an idea...

Default just an idea...

...maybe under each forum section you should put some sub-forums...like under the artist's forum maybe have a sub-forum for banners and av's...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's a good idea in theory, but what it means is more clicking around forums. I think the thread's titles are enough, personally.

well....you could ask a few people...see what they think...

Maybe you could make a flaming forum. I dunno if it would work for this board, but it did work at http://www.thenflforum.com There is almost no flaming going on at all on the main boards simply because we have a board designed for it. If you dont believe me when i say it works, go check it out. Its unbelievable.
    YEAH FRANK BIANCA

Originally posted by frankbianca
    Maybe you could make a flaming forum. I dunno if it would work for this board, but it did work at http://www.thenflforum.com There is almost no flaming going on at all on the main boards simply because we have a board designed for it. If you dont believe me when i say it works, go check it out. Its unbelievable.
    No. I’ll quote from the staff on this:

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
    I will not tolerate the genesis of a hostile environment on Eyes On Final Fantasy
    I think that’s final. I don’t want to see a forum in which people are allowed to bash each other unnecessarily. If people want to go online to hurt each other’s feelings, then they can go somewhere other than Eyes on Final Fantasy. If people consistently decide to take their aggressions out on others, they will simply be eliminated by the staff. There’s no need for that, really. People have enough troubles in their day-to-day lives. They don’t need to get more when they go online. Anyone who consistently feels it necessary to flame has no place on these boards, as far as I’m concerned. And I can’t see a “flaming forum” leading to anything but hurt feelings. It may have worked elsewhere, but there’s no way in hell it’s going to be allowed here.

One of the things that first attracted me about EoFF, actually, was how understanding the users were. Honestly, if such a forum is allowed even as a trial experiment, I will seriously consider detaching myself entirely from the forums and the web project. Flaming offends people. They wouldn’t have to visit the flaming forum if they didn’t want to, but the point is that the staff likes to avoid seeing people get unnecessarily hurt. Flaming hurts.

Also, we might consider that the type of people who would typically visit an NFL forum are completely different from the type of people who would typically visit a Final Fantasy forum.

Blarg. To be completely honest, I think it’s a terrible idea, and I’m sure most veterans here would agree with me. If people want to flame, they can just try it and see how long the staff puts up with it. They won’t put up with it very long, I can tell you that.

Peace
    The Man
    Last edited by The Man; 05-19-2002 at 07:21 PM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Why dont you go to the forum and check it out? None of the people hate each other, and the board is very friendly. The mods and posters are very friendly with each other and there is almost never conflict between two posters. In fact, it is about fifty-thousand times better than this board when it comes to friendliness. It works wonders. And theres ONE little board for it. Youre supposed to try and offend others and theyre supposed to try and offend you back, so its all in good fun. And if they dont wanna be offended ever, they can just stay on the main boards and be happy. Its not hostile or a bad idea, its just fun.
    YEAH FRANK BIANCA

well then why not have a spam forum??^^

Originally posted by frankbianca
    Why dont you go to the forum and check it out? None of the people hate each other, and the board is very friendly. The mods and posters are very friendly with each other and there is almost never conflict between two posters. In fact, it is about fifty-thousand times better than this board when it comes to friendliness. It works wonders. And theres ONE little board for it. Youre supposed to try and offend others and theyre supposed to try and offend you back, so its all in good fun. And if they dont wanna be offended ever, they can just stay on the main boards and be happy. Its not hostile or a bad idea, its just fun.
    I don’t think it would work here. NFL is a diversion for many of the people who follow it, it seems, while FF is a way of life, so the characters of people who posted to the corresponding message boards would cause them take things differently. I’m sure it works fine on the NFL board, but I don’t think it would work here.

A lot of people are probably unfriendly lately, as well, because of the time of year and its stress, which includes final exams and research papers. However, the moderators, in case you haven’t noticed, frown on people when they flame.

I, for one, say what I think. I give people compliments when they say insightful things, and I offer criticisms of things that don’t seem particularly correct. I try my hardest, however, not to offend others, as that’s wrong.

People simply need to be considerate of others here and remember that it’s not their right to post here; it’s their privilege. If they abuse that privilege, they won’t last here very long. It’s a simple system, and it’s worked on these boards for many years. I don’t see any need to change it. If you disagree with it, then perhaps this is not the forum for you.

Originally posted by bki
    well then why not have a spam forum??^^
    The idea of a spam forum has recently been discussed in this thread.

Peace
    The Man

True, the man, it might not work here, but i wouldnt mind seeing us try it. And BTW, NFL IS A WAY OF LIFE!!!!:P
    People dont just bash each other's teams in there, they bash each other, and sometimes its NASTY. But if anything, it improves the friendliness between the people, because offending is what youre supposed to do. It just lets people know that theres no hard feelings about anything. Its weird, but i think it might work.
    YEAH FRANK BIANCA

so...we try it then??and if it fails then we get rid of it...

right. Theres nothing wrong with trying it. If it fails, then oh well, you can always get rid of it. Anything to help improve the boards. And also, there IS such a thing as going out of line on a flaming forum. Its not completely no-holds-barred.
    YEAH FRANK BIANCA

so...ummm....well....then....i went on this other forum thing and it was really organized...it was soooo cool!!!i would post the site but it's down...they had something really cool!!!evertime you posted you get 5gils and when someone replies to ya thread you get 1gil, with the gils ye can get people ta make you banners/host them...you could even buy weapons(for fun)^^it was soooooo great...(not saying these ain't)but it was so organized and everything!!!if it does ever come back...
    http://forums.ffinsider.net/
    Last edited by bki; 05-19-2002 at 08:12 PM.

I think we’d have to see how other people feel. It gives me a bad taste. Ultimately, it’s the staff’s decision as to whether to allow that, but I seriously doubt that they would.

Yes, I know how fanatically some people feel about the NFL. What I referred to, however, is that people have deep emotional connections to the FF games because of their content, which can constantly be relived and re-experienced. To some people, the games feel like parts of themselves. It’s really quite hard to explain, though, if you don’t know the feeling yourself. I am easily offended, and I’m sure that other people on these boards are similar. I think that while you might not take deep offense to what might be said on a flaming forum, there are others who would, and we have to consider them, as I’m sure they’re quite numerous amongst us. If people get hurt, they’ll stop browsing the forums at all.

Whatever. I’m not on staff, I’m just a lowlife who likes to share his opinion a lot, and it’s ultimately the staff’s decision.

Peace
    The Man

well...i've been on the site before so i can do the working offline thing...i took some screenshots(i can't really explain so it's better to show)it's an example of how info on the left of the screen is shown...as you can see it's mine...you'll notice gil(hopefully)^^
    Attached Images Attached Images

We decided long ago that a post-intensive system would make the forums far too caste-like. While not a highly flawed idea in theory, it could be used in practice to shun newbies and might potentially give a holier-than-thou air to veterans. It is for this reason that the post count and registration date below users’ names in their posts were removed long ago.

Peace
    The Man