Thread: Control Panel

Default Control Panel

A bit o' a problem. I was on my pc yesterday, and i tried going into my control panel. BUT, a window came up saying that the pc couldn't find "Rundll32.exe" in the WINDOWS folder. I've ran a search for the program but i've only come up with rundll32.pol or something like that.
    I can't get into the control panel any way i've tried. Through "My Computer", The start menu, right-clicking the desktop.

A little help would be much appreciated. I'll give you the gold at the end of the rainbow which is my life.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Er, that's not good if that file is missing, you're going to find quite a number of programs won't work if that's not there

You searched the whole Windows folder including subfolders? (Main subfolders to check are SYSTEM and SYSTEM32)

If it's not there, you'll have to restore it, either from wherever you installed Windows from, or reinstalling Windows back over itself. How you do this depends on the Windows version. What version of Windows are you using?

Other thing to do is check for viruses etc., that file shouldn't just disappear like that unless something is wrong with the computer.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I've had screwy runndll32 errors before, usually right after I tried to play a movie or open a big music file way back when I had Win95. It usually fixed itself after I rebooted though. If it doesn't, you could maybe hunt down that file on the internet somewhere or on your Windows CD, though it might be buried in a .cab on your CD. Not sure where the file goes. Probably c:\windows or c:\windows\system . Or just reinstall Windows on top of itself, without uninstalling it first or anything, that way most of your stuff will be saved. Like crono_logical said. Windows is just a mess. I wouldn't doubt that Windows deleted the file itself, probably trying to put itself out of its misery.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It belongs in \windows for Win95/98/ME, and in \windows\system32 for XP, and I assume other NT OSs.

It'd be safer to grab the one off your own installation discs rather than the net, less chance of a version mismatch or something

Your worst wet nightmare Recognized Member Squally Leonharty's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former Help Forum

Reinstalling the whole OS will work too. At least you'll get everything right after the installation.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actaully, just reinstalling Windows doesn't always work, if you remember the problems you had with missing network files in your virtual Win98 PC, Squally

A total reformat and then reinsatalling Windows would work though, but that's not always useful/possible as you'll lose a lot of custom settings and other stuff.

It's true, i just played Pulp Fiction on my pc, and that was pretty messed up. After that, everything went crappy. I've tried running a scandisk but ummm...the program isnt there.

Looks like reinstalling the os is the only way to go. I've got loads of music, work and d/ls though, will they still be there? Preciate the help fellas.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you simply reinstall Windows on top of itself, then yes everything should stay. If you reformat (wipe the HD) before reinstalling, then it depends on youur HD coniguration. It's better just to reinstall on top without bothering to wipe anything, that's just for extremity

Ok, thanks. I'll try it tonight.