Thread: Tweak UI and WinXP

Unhappy Tweak UI and WinXP

<font color="ff6600" size=1> I originally had WinME on this computer. It had TweakUI on it and it worked nicely. I installed WinXP right over ME and TweakUI worked fine once again. A while back I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled. Now, I downloaded TweakUI and I'm having odd problems with it. The first try, I installed it, it never showed up in the Control Panel. I restarted and 10 seconds after startup, it would say "Windows has recovered from a serious error" and would restart itself about 5 seconds later. I managed to uninstall it (TweakUI) and try again. Didn't work again. I reinstalled XP, still didn't work. On my third reinstall of XP, I never reinstalled Tweak UI. I decided to try again the other day and I didn't get the same old restarting problem, but it won't show up in the Control Panel now. I really miss the handy little things it did and would like it back. Any help is appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Note: I downloaded this version of TweakUI off of Microsoft's site twice. </font>
    --It's me!--

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Are you using the XP version of TweakUI? For me it didn't install into the Control Panel, but it added itself to the Start Menu into the group "Powertoys for Windows XP". I've never had problems with it. It's probably not a good idea to use ME's version in XP, if that's what you were doing before.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I installed both Win98s and WinXPs TweakUI on my copy of XP, and they both work fine - I only added 98s because it's easier to find stuff in it because it can customize less

But yeah, if that still don't work, go for the XP Powertoys on the Microsoft website - TweakUI XP is included in there
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My mate has the 95 version of Tweak UI (which he got off me) installed on his XP and it works fine... I'm guessing it's just a compatibility problem between the ME version and XP... just get an earlier version or the XP one
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Originally posted by Dr Unne
    For me it didn't install into the Control Panel, but it added itself to the Start Menu into the group "Powertoys for Windows XP".
    <font color="ff6600" size=1> I should go into the Start Menu more often. It was there. >.<

Thanks so much. </font>
    --It's me!--