Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quotes on VB

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quotes on VB

Would it be possible to remove the bold VB tag from quotes by default? You know how whenever you press the quote button, by default the entire post will be surrounded in the bold tag and since it has become fashion around EoFF not to use it, could the admins remove it, is it possible? Because... well it would be easier to quote without going back and deleting the tag and many many quotes would be free from an open tag that looks out of place in a quote. Meh, just a thought.

If you copy and paste the thing you want to post...

You can place it like this and it's not bolded.
    You just surround it with [ QUOTE ]Whatever[ /QUOTE ]

Last edited by Sakura Yume; 07-22-2002 at 06:06 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I know that you can do it that way, but I'm very lazy at times and I dont feel like [ i]Originally posted by whoever[/i] thing so I just wanted to know if it were possible to remove the [ b] [/b] tags as default when you use the quote button. Thanks anyways.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

When you want to quote something, just hit "quote"...if the bold tags bother you *that* much, just delete them.

When I see an unbolded quote, I assume somebody typed in the markup manually instead of hitting "quote". The message has still been put across, and it's no big deal.

Oh, I'll remove the bold tags if there's a huge overwhelming majority of posters who want them gone, but so far I see one person. Out of over three thousand.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was just a thought, meh. I guess I should stop being so lazy and delete them myself, it only takes five seconds.

I don't much like the bold tags myself. When other users use bold to emphasise words, that bold gets completely negated by the presence of a bold tag in the quote function by default. In fact, I stole LH's method of quoting people, which involves putting the "Originally posted by" in bold and in size 1, which uses far less space and looks quite cool, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind having the vB quote function altered to do that by default. Of course that would mean far less work for me, so it's understandable why I'd want that , but I do think it looks quite nifty. I mean, come on. Which looks cooler:

quote:
    Originally posted by trout
    Blarg.
    or

quote:
    Originally posted by trout
    Blarg.
    I think it's obvious that the second method looks cooler.

Peace
    Stuffed Manny
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I like it how it is. *shrugs*
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I like the second one. But I always manually type in the quote tags, anyway, and it's not that big of a deal (I'll end up adding that header manually either way ).

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I couldn't care less whether you changed it or not I sometimes quote, and sometimes type the quote thing myself anyway
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

If there's still any support for it, I'd also add my name to list of people who would rather have the default quote setting be without bold tags.

Never posted by LH
    Hey, I don't think I've ever quoted myself before. Wow. I think size 1 verdana kicks serious ass visually, especially when bold. I'd probably start putting my posts in that format, but it looks kind of miniscule compared to the width of the posts, at least on my monitor.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

OK, I added this.

[q=Unne]Blarg.[/q]

will give you

[q=Unne]Blarg.[/q]

Is that OK? The old [quote] tag is the same as before. If I really really needed to, I could edit the Quote link under the posts to use my q tag instead of the quote tag. Not sure if I want to do that or not though.

Yay for Unne.

I think I, for one, would like to have the quote link under the posts use the [q] tag, but if that would imply a tremendous amount of hacking, that might not be a good idea. In any case, the new [q] tag, while immensely cool, doesn't really help me, since I'm using custom HTML code to get my tag across. I could be a major pain and ask for a [qm] tag just for me, which would then be using 38e897 for everything, but I won't be. I'll just have to go on editing my quotes as before. Unless there's a way to add a second variable for a tag. That would be cool.

Um, while we're at it, would there be any way to make a [ooc={color for "OOC:" goes here}] tag so that I don't have to use my custom-formatted HTML anymore? I'd imagine that would take all of two seconds to implement.

At any rate, that new quote tag is a beauty. I just wish I could use it for myself.

Peace
    Stuffed Manny

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

It'd take a couple seconds to change the Quote link under the posts. Just not sure if I should or not yet.

What exactly is the other variable you'd need for the q tag? You mean you don't want your font color to affect the quotes, or something? If you do a </font>[q=blah]Blah.[/q]<font color=whatever>, shouldn't that work? If you mean something else, explain please. I might be able to do something.

Explain also what your "custom HTML" is for the OOC thing please. I don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: typo.

Even if I surrounded your [q] tag with font colour tags, the <hr> tags in the [q] tag would still be of colour ffffff, which wouldn't look quite right since I use 38e897 in my quotes to match my text. If you could input a variable for colour of the the entire structure of the [q] tag, then you'd be able to make your quotes match your font colour, which would be, at the least, cool.

quote:
    Not posted by The Man

This is the result in my posts with the custom HTML I use, in other words.
    [q=no one]But this is what happens with [q] and <font> tags.[/q]Basically, the OOC tag would work as follows:

[ooc={color}]blarg[/ooc]

would have the HTML of

<table><tr><td bgcolor=#204962><font size=5 color={color}>OOC:</font></td><td><font color={color} size=2>blarg</font></td></tr></table>

and, with the color value of 7eb7ed (Britty Blue™) and the text input of "I love Britty Blue™" would come out as follows:

OOC:I love Britty Blue™

I don't think it would take very long to implement, and it would probably be cool. It would certainly make it much easier for me, and others who use custom font colours, to use OOC tags that match our text. *massive noddage*

When I think about it, though, it might be more useful to make the text in the OOC box customisable. I dunno. We could have a poll about it or something, I suppose.

It would be best if you could have two variables for a vB tag so that [ooc={box text},{color}] could give you customisable text and text colour. Is there any way to do that? That's more or less what I'm asking. Then I'd be able to use the [q] tag and almost completely get rid of all the custom HTML I currently have to use in the process. It doesn't take tons of time for me to use that code, since I have a big Word document that includes all of my custom-coloured little bits of source, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to access it as often. And I'm sure other people like Tammy and Hsu who have their own custom font colours would benefit from the new tags as well. But if there's no way to make two variables within a tag header, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Peace
    Stuffed Manny
    Last edited by The Man; 08-04-2002 at 02:18 AM.

Thanks Unne.