Thread: AGHHH need help with saving picture types.

Default AGHHH need help with saving picture types.

Well on paint I'm making a webcomic and well everytime I save it the colors get distorted somewhat if I make it a JPEG or a GIF on my comic when ever I save it. So I am wondering how to either.

A. Avoid this distortment of colors

or

B. How to make JPG or JPE files from paint.

Thank you in advanced.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Save your working copies as .bmp or some other format that doesn't compress them at all. Never ever work in .jpg. Every time you save you lose more quality because you're re-compressing it over and over. .gif isn't lossy, but it's limited to 256 colors or so so it's not that useful. .png is OK, but .bmp is probably about the safest you can get. .bmp creates huge files though. Work in .bmp, and convert the final image to .jpg or .whatever.

Maybe I should of mentioned I am putting my web comics onto geocities temporailly (until I can get my .com site working) and it only allows gifs, jpegs, jpg, and jpe file types as images. So bmp is a no no. Unless there is a better free service then them for better image files.
    This space intentionally left blank.

When you're working on the files, before you upload them, you should save them as .bmp. When you're done you save them as .jpg. And if you're not on winXP you'll need <a href="http://www.gimp.org">gimp</a> or photoshop or something to save the as .jpg.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should go for PNG format, that doesn't throw away any colour information, and you can still work in it too.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

1: Use photoshop, paint always messes up (at least for me)

2: In other programs where you can choose the Quality, you can get JPG, with a quality as good as a JPG, but really smaller. In Winme, you can make JPG with pain, I dont know about any other...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Maybe I should of mentioned I am putting my web comics onto geocities temporarily
    I wouldn't use Geocities even if it was the last free web space provider in existence. I'd go with Tripod or Angelfire to be honest with you. Their servers are much more reliable. What? They don't allow remote linking? Well, just upload your pictures with a '.txt' extention, and they won't even notice.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"