Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie's Endless Threads.

If we made a seperate newbie forum even I wouldn't bother welcoming them. It's just unnecesary, considering that it's rare to see this quantity of newbie threads in General Chat.
    Draxyle/RedMage/Windurst/Level 12+

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Our newbie threads are hardly boring. Most of them are very amusing. Unless it just becomes a dailog between two or three friends and it just gets confusing.

*enforces newbie*

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Ignoring them works, too. *thumbs up*

1. I did not say they cause any clutter.
    2. I only suggest to make a separate forum for them, so whoever want to welcome them, they can go there and welcome them as warm as in GC. There won't difference between GC and separate forum.

Warmer welcome in GC? Why? Is there any oven? Put one in the separate forum for the newbies =D

Your opinion please =)
    Last edited by ~Chibi*Moonlight~; 11-24-2002 at 06:57 AM.

Originally posted by ~Chibi*Moonlight~

Warmer welcome in GC? Why? Is there any oven? Put one in the separate forum for the newbies =D

Your opinion please =)

Hmmm....xD Very funny, yet clever and good point there, Lil.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Ignoring them works, too. *thumbs up*
    And it's soooo much easier than taking any type of action.
    goku

Look at the big amount of the newbies threads, tis not a matter of ignoring them or posting. I'm talking about the "amount". In GC there is more than 10 Newbie thread! Do you think that this is logical? Think of it.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I agree with Umi_Butterfly in another thread.

If "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" threads aren't allowed, I don't think "I'm new" threads should be allowed either. Of course, that would be pretty strict... so why not make an Announcements forum of some sort to keep everybody updated on what goes on? Who's here, who's not... who's leaving, who's coming back? It'd keep it all seperated from General Chat, but all together.

I'm not going to go all out to support this, but it is a good idea.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are newbie forums on just about every other board on the planet, and you know what? The regular posters just ignore and avoid that forum. The only one welcoming newbies most of the time are people who are trying to build up their post counts. (I try to give funny welcomes at most boards, but I run out of material fast)

I find EoFF's environment to be friendlier because peoples' newbie threads are exposed to a wider audience, and not just the spammers reply in them.

I'm like Unne; when I first joined, I made my "newbie thread" in Eyes On Each Other, and got the warmest welcome on the 'net. That got me hooked.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

i guess i'm biased because i never made an "i'm new" thread, so they don't have any meaning to me, though i was warmly welcomed here. Eoff really is too friendly a place to seperate our newbies and make them feel like they're not really part of us. I see, I see.

What? No one will post in the newbies forum?
    The people who are welcoming the newbies, why they can't go to the newbies forum if they like it? I'm sure lots of people will go there and welcome them. And if not, that means no need for newbies threads at all.

Roogle, what you've said is right .What i think too, if the newbies threads are allowed then "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" threads must be allowed, those people needs a warm welcome also *wink*. And do you think newbies or anyone would be known without posting in GC for example?
    If i dun like EoFF, i won't open my mouth about anything and i would find other forum.
    My love to EoFF is the reason for me to speak about waht annoys me and annoy lots of people.
    Last edited by ~Chibi*Moonlight~; 11-25-2002 at 07:59 AM.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Originally posted by Gareas
    There are newbie forums on just about every other board on the planet, and you know what? The regular posters just ignore and avoid that forum. The only one welcoming newbies most of the time are people who are trying to build up their post counts. (I try to give funny welcomes at most boards, but I run out of material fast)

I find EoFF's environment to be friendlier because peoples' newbie threads are exposed to a wider audience, and not just the spammers reply in them.

I'm like Unne; when I first joined, I made my "newbie thread" in Eyes On Each Other, and got the warmest welcome on the 'net. That got me hooked.
    If people really cared about giving a greeting I think they could take the time to make two more little clicks. I don't find a big difference, people who still give greetings are either intent on making sure they warmly welcome people... or they are still people looking for reasons to post.

You make the concious choice to post and exposing it doesn't necessarily make that difference since all members would know where the posts are, just as members know where threads are.

Boldly go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

But it's just so not EoFF. ;_;
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think I'd rather welcome old member back than welcome some random newbie here. Let's say if someone like Del Murder would disappear for a year so suddenly and then he'd come back, I would be so very excited to welcome him back. Same thing for "I'm leaving" threads. If some veteran leaves, I think everyone should know about it and to not leave us wonder "where did he/she disappear?"

Yeah, I made a newbie thread on Eyes on each other two years ago. It felt nice to get replies there. YOU, Lilly, made a newbie thread also back then, and maybe we would've never met without that thread.
    But it's true that EoFF is getting huge, and there's more and more members joining all the time making threads, which sinks good threads from GC's page one to page two.

I still think newbie forum wouldn't be a bad idea. If it would be, I think it would be reasonable for at least to ACTIVE veterans to make "I'm leaving" and "I'm back" threads.

When/if I'll ever leave EoFF, Hell yeah I'll make a thread about my leaving eventho' I'd know it'll be closed. I just want people I know to not wonder where I left and why. Wouldn't wanna email or IM to every "half-friend" and "half-half-friend" and non friends that I left.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Problem is, most people 'leave forever' and then show up a month later. Not even that sometimes.

*disappears for a year just for the hell of it*

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum