Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye!

12 48.00%
  • Nae!

9 36.00%
  • Notice my indifference!

4 16.00%

Thread: Do you think "Power Point," the peninsula northeast of Pravoka, was intentional?

Default Do you think "Power Point," the peninsula northeast of Pravoka, was intentional?

Evidence:
    1: Power Point is remote and somewhat inconvenient to get to for the typical L6-8 party.
    2: There's a dock nearby.
    3: It's accessible during the time when, arguably, cash is needed most.
    4: Power Point's creatures are about boss strength for the typical L6-8 party.
    5: Power Point is in the WSC version.
    6: Another Power Point exists in FF2j directly south of the first town. I'm unsure on FF3j. (FF2j's Power Point is likely because of FF1's.)

-EE

That's just how the cookie crumbled. The FF1 map is divided into large square blocks that have different battles in them that you fight, you know like the block mostly around Melmond is Shadows and Hyenas and stuff, and the one by efland is ogres and asps. Well, the block that covered the area around leifien happened to just reach across to the point on the southern continent, so that's how it turned out.

I think it was intend. When the people drawn the map, they probably made it by drawing a 256x256 pixel square each at a time cause that's how the monster area for the world map works. And therefore, someone must have extend the Provoka penisula by 2 squares to add a special secret to game, just like the invisible girl in Coneria Castle.
    You think a minor thing like the end of the world was gonna do me in?
    wolfmah Heaven

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do think it was intentional, yes. The monster zones in a lot of RPG-making systems (including RM2k) are square, and it seems likely that the core programmers did the same thing in FF1, and then the mapmakers just extended the Lefein zone downwards a bit and added a northerly peninsula near Pravoka that intersected that point.

Think about it: If it was inevitable--the Lefein zone *had* to reach downwards (say, part of Lefein's continent was further south than parts of Pravoka's continent), then Square could easily have blocked Power Point off via strategic placement of mountains--but they didn't.

Aye. That peninsula is just so much out of the way... and they kept it in the WSC version. They removed the invisible lady, who was a bug. Why didn't they squish the finger point if it was a mistake, as well?

I don't care if it was intentional or not. If you use strategy you don't even need the PP. Just know where the best places to fight for EXP and GP are. In the last game I played, i didn't even need to use it, until I needed to Level up after I got the Class Change. By that time I was between LV 20-25, so I was more than strong enough to face them, and where using didn't feel like cheating.

It probably was intentional because maybe Square realized it would be really boring to spend hours upon hours fighting a bunch of monsters, so they programmed it into the game to make it seem less daunting. Keep in mind Square was on the verge of collapse when the game was made, So they probably didn't really care one way or the other.

I'm indifferant

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

definatly NOT intentional, of that I'm sure. The fact that the enemies are exactly the same as the contient just north of that area is just TOO coincidental. I'm sure I read somewhere that Square didn't do it on purpose, but since everyone liked it so much, they thought "A good things a good thing" and just ran with it. I'm not complainig though. I can't remember the last time I played FF and DIDNT go to PP
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

There are a lot of areas where the monster-zones reach into weird parts of the map. There's the area south of Elfland where you can fight GrOgres, the three or so squares to the east of Elfland where you can fight them too, etc. I think it was sloppy mapping, myself.

One thing that's probably certain though, it was intentional in FF1 WSC. Pretty sure they would've noticed it when they were remaking the game, especially with all the map-editing they did. But they kept the peninsula in the game anyways. So who knows.

I'd have to agree with Unne. It was just bad coding on Squaresoft's part but not all mistakes are bad things. As for WSC, they'd have to be idiots to not have known about it by then so apparently they had no problems with it.

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

Where exacly is this "Power Point" and what kind of EXP and GIL do you recive there ?
    "Everything is simpler than you think and at the same time more complex than you imagine."

http://www.planetnintendo.com/ff1/secrets.shtml

Third one down.
    (I believe Pravoka is where you fight the Pirates).

It was definitly intentional in FFO/WCS FF, though as already said in NES it was most likely an overlooked tile.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.