Thread: Spyware and Cometcursor

Default Spyware and Cometcursor

Cometcursor is apparently spyware, according to Ad-aware. I uninstalled it (Cometcursor), and all that remains is a small thing in the "SYSTEM" folder. Now I now you don't go messing around with that folder, so I'm asking is it safe to delete that .dll file? Is that file harmless and can a .dll file still act as spyware?

Thanks!
    Let me think of something witty...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Yeah, a .dll can be part of the spyware. It's probably safe to delete it if Adaware wants you too. Especially if it's called something obvious like cometcr.dll or something. If it's something that looks important like kernel32.dll or deletethisandyourcomputerwilldie.dll then don't. If you're really worried you can leave it, I guess. Probably won't hurt much.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If AdAware is what's asking you to delete that dll, then yes, it's better to delete it. If AdAware wasn't what told you about that file but you found it yourself while looking in the folder, it's best to leave it, since AdAware would ahve asked you before deleting it itself otherwise.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Yeah, Ad-aware pointed those (4 things) out. It's just that I REALLY don't want anything to happen, because of my deleting a file. So, not every single .dll is important, then?

One more thing, there are also 3 more files which I have no clue as to what they are. They have funny locations/names like "e5Fjeg976GGO...", sorta like that atleast...

Dr.Unne, and Guu, you guys are assuring me that nothing should technically happen...?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

If you are really afraid, just copy to a disk and rename them, and then delte them. If your computer gets screwed up, just try to restore them.
    Grab the opportunities life hands you, that's my motto!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Files with dodgy looking names like woeuyfq0934 do tend to be either dodgy files or temp files

And yes, not all DLLs are important, they're really only helper bits of code for certain programs, not necessarily Windows. In the case of the DLLs pointed out by AdAware, they'd probably only be important to CometCursor (otherwise they wouldn't have been pointed out), and since you don't want that program, deleting them seems a good idea.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Well, I've deleted the files...and my PC still alive!!! YESS!

It's just that I've had bad experience with those blasted .dll files....which led me to format my hard drive .