Thread: sig hosting

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default sig hosting

Damn it. I try that rancho web place and NOW they charge people...Boomspeed deleted my account even though I had only...ONE FREAKING PICTURE on there and I can't find any place that allows remote linking for free...

I don't want to pay $10.95 a month or whatever just to put a damn picture on the internet.

Or if anyone would be nice enough to host my pic I would appriciate that...but if there is a free hosting site that REALLY IS FREE I would like to know about it so I can have a sig with a pic I made.

My advice is always the same:
    [q=myself]
    The most reliable way would probably be hosting it at geocities, then changing the file extension to .txt. For example if your image was crapsig.jpg, you'd change the name to crapsig.txt, ONCE UPLOADED to geocities (i used to make the mistake of making it a txt file BEFORE uploading... @_@)
    [/q]

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hey cool it worked...thanks! Just one question though...will geocities cancel my account over this if they find out?

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

How would they find out? Seriously. I've been doing it for over a year at Angelfire and they've never noticed. Just think about how many sites Geocities hosts... they can't check every single site regularly, can they? They probably rely upon reports to find out if this stuff is happening. In other words, I don't think they'll ever find out.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also bet it hasn't really become a probelm for them yet, since when I tell people you can remotely link images from Geocities, Anglefire, etc.. they don't believe me.

Just watch, when their bandwith starts getting sucked dried from their free accounts, they'll put a restriction on remote linking .txt files.

But for now, it's the best free image host.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well just in case I set up another geocities account just for remote linking, so if they do cancel it, no biggie.

if anybody's on here then PLEASE HELP ME!!! i tired the geocities thing and it said that the file type could not be changed! whats up with that?!?! help please!

and actually im STILL trying it right now! so if anyone could reply that would help...

this is the message i keep getting:

The new filename for "blitzballstar01.gif" must end with ".gif"

help!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

download it and change the file type on your computer, then upload it that way. *shrug*
    goku

DARN IT! its not working. i actually know someone on this site that has an image...ill just ask him at school on monday...or maybe ill pm him. i dont know..man! this bites

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always just make a new Boomspeed account. They haven't deleted my new one for a couple of months.

Articles

I've been using angelfire with .txt files for well over a year now and it has not stirred me wrong.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ranchoweb went to pay also. So now I bum off the Korean place that I work for. But that probably doesn't help.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, probably a dumb question but...
    If my sig uses a picture found on a website somewhere, am I breaching any kind of copyright laws? Or am I being a pain in the butt to them by linking to their site?

Originally posted by Big D
    Ok, probably a dumb question but...
    If my sig uses a picture found on a website somewhere, am I breaching any kind of copyright laws? Or am I being a pain in the butt to them by linking to their site?
    Not really copyright laws, but you'd take up some of their bandwidth. It's best to save the image to your HD and upoad it yourself.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

You could always try Speedis.org. It's fast, free, and easy. And I sound like some kind of salesperson. O.o Blarg. But seriously, it works. I usually use Liquid2k.com, but things over there are being weird...so right now I'm having a friend host most of my stuff, but Speedis works ok.

I know of a lot more options, though...