Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighter Campaign!

Originally posted by Fighter
    (How can you vote against him ?)
    I find the fighter/knight to be very boring as I do all overpowered classes. "equip overpowered armor and sword, hit A, hit A, hit A, hit A, zzzzzzzz" My favorite party doesn't even include a fighter. but that is just me.

Agreed. Fighter is mucho boring.

Well besides Fighter there's either Thief the crippled Fighter or Black Belt the guy who punches things. I guess if you wanted a challenge you'd go for a thief but you at least have to admit that Fighter looks cool doing what he does. After all, he's a paladin. Don't you like "PALADINS"?

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

Originally posted by Paladin
    Well besides Fighter there's either Thief the crippled Fighter or Black Belt the guy who punches things. I guess if you wanted a challenge you'd go for a thief but you at least have to admit that Fighter looks cool doing what he does. After all, he's a paladin. Don't you like "PALADINS"?
    Well I have to admit the Black Belt is crippled and the fighter does look good in both versions of the game, but I think you underestimate the Thief. Before class change the Thief's ability to run helps getting through tough areas like the marsh cave and the ice cave with enough life and magic. After class change he won't hit as hard as a fighter, true, but his access to black magic allows him to either pump himself up (fast, tmpr, etc) or add elemental support. His selection in armor is also not too bad making him an eligible leader. What does the fighter get after class change? White magic. A set of magic were you could use him to cure (wouldn't you rather have him attack). That is it, since most white magic, by then anyway, affects all members (aice, afir, inv2, etc) so there is no need for the knight to cast it when you have a white wizard. Like I said the fighter is only a tank; attack attack attack. At least with a Thief there are a variety of things to do with him that all work. At least that is how I see things.

Yes, the White Wizard can do those things but in 1 round? With a Knight, Red Wizard, and White Wizard they get the job done in 1 round easily. Ever been through the Temple of Fiends? You need every thing you've got and thanks to my Knight's white magic I had a few extra cures after Tiamat which most likely helped me beat the game my first time. Sure the Ninja can use TMPR and FAST which I kind of liked having against Warmech but give a Knight the power gauntlet and have a Black Wizard use Fast and you've got all the power you'll need so why bother wasting rounds on your Ninja unless he's hella strong? If you give your Knight items like the White Shirt his uses are even greater then before, making him versatile but yes. His biggest strength is his power and sometimes that's just what you need.

Originally posted by Kiyote
    I find the fighter/knight to be very boring as I do all overpowered classes. "equip overpowered armor and sword, hit A, hit A, hit A, hit A, zzzzzzzz" My favorite party doesn't even include a fighter. but that is just me.
    What is wrong with being able to equip the best weapon/armour? The "hit A, hit A, etc, sounds very much like a BB. If you're suggesting that Fighter is boring and his magic as a knight is useless, then you're wrong. Almost every spell that a ninja gets can be casted by an item (thor's hammer, black shirt, etc) or is totally useless (ice, fire, bolt). The only spell that the ninja gets that's good is haste, but if you only got him for that spell then you'll be better off with a RM or BM, who'd do every one of those spells better and with more MP and before class change.

Also originally posted by Kiyote
    What does the fighter get after class change? White magic. A set of magic were you could use him to cure (wouldn't you rather have him attack). That is it, since most white magic, by then anyway, affects all members (aice, afir, inv2, etc) so there is no need for the knight to cast it when you have a white wizard. Like I said the fighter is only a tank; attack attack attack. At least with a Thief there are a variety of things to do with him that all work. At least that is how I see things.
    I personally always have the Fighter/Knight as the main attacker and would much rather to have him use supportive magic that can be also used out of battle than waste his turns on ice2, fast, temper etc, which is what the mages are there for. Extra white magic is always good and to be able to have a little in my best physical fighter is a bonus.

The Fighter gets more than just white magic after class change. He also gets the exclusive second best sword (Excalibur) and exclusive best armour (Dragon Armour, opal helmet/shield).

If you wanted an even more variety of things then you should get a RM. Like I said before the hitting attack is just what a BB does. All the thief does before class change is run. (That's with the Nes version, in WSC he doesn't even have that advantage.)
    I like swords.

Originally posted by Fighter
    What is wrong with being able to equip the best weapon/armour?
    So the knight has the highest defense, second highest attack (although being second to the BB is debatable), highest hp, and access to white magic. IMHO that is overpowered and unbalanced with the other characters. Unbalanced characters make things to easy and take some of the thrill out of games. But that is just my opinion.

Also posted by Fighter
    If you're suggesting that Fighter is boring and his magic as a knight is useless, then you're wrong.
    I am not suggesting that at all. I apologies if I came off that way.

Let me continue by apologizing. It seems that I have been coming off as if I am attacking the Fighter and that is not what I meant at all. I personally find the fighter a boring class, but that does not mean others do not find him useful or fun. My comments about the Thief as compared to the Fighter were meant to show that he is a comparable alternative the Fighter. No the Thief is not better then the fighter and probably isn't as good but neither is any other class.

Also posted by Fighter
    If you wanted an even more variety of things then you should get a RM. Like I said before the hitting attack is just what a BB does. All the thief does before class change is run. (That's with the Nes version, in WSC he doesn't even have that advantage.)
    The Thief gets better armor and weapons, thus doing more damage and surviving longer. The Thief fits my play style better and really that is what it all comes down to, playing style.

I'm happy I have at least one supporter. Spear-heading this campaign would suck so hard without the Fighter fan club backing me up. ^_^

Apology accepted, Kiyote.

I'll always support the Fighter no matter what, Paladin. It is a pretty small fan club that we have, but as long as there's support, the Fighter will get through .
    I like swords.

if im playing FF1 fighter gets the best weapon and armour 1st

Dono Arigato Macwere San for the sweat signature and avatar

Default Fighter vs. Chaos

Come on, guys. Support the hero of FF1 and vote for Fighter! Click here to vote for him!
    I like swords.

If you really just want to plow through the PSX release of FF1, just make a party with 4 fighters. Trust me, it works quite well. By the end of the game you'll have plenty of weapons/armor to do the spell casting for you and so many HP you won't know what to do with yourself. I tore up WarMech twice in a row without healing. The point? FIGHTERS RULE!

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Wow, this thread is so old it's not even funny.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.