Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: WEAPONS

How do I become a knight?

OK, I've got a new question: If Jenova arrived on a Meteor that crashed into what is now the Northern Crater, why didn't Lifestream and/or Holy stop that one, which must have been much smaller than the one Sephy summoned, as otherwise it would've destroyed the whole planet. It's not as if they weren't any people to use Holy either - the planet was populated by loadsa Cetra.......I'm confused - maybe Jenova didn't actually arrive on a Meteor?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There's absolutely nothing in the game that suggests Jenova rode into the Planet on a meteor.

so Jenova herself made the Northern Crater?

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Okay the weapons being made when Jenova came has been established already in this thread. By Kishi and backed up by TLP. I myself remember the scene too.
    The Northern Crater is enough evidence for me that she arrived on a meteor, it's certainly enough to establish that the planet would want to fight any threats BEFORE they hit it. The paintings in the Temple of the Ancients, and the sheer physics of creating that crater would back up the meteor theory.
    For hopefully the last time. Holy and lifestream are part of the planet, they came from it, they have the same if not less power than the planet itself.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I'd like a quote of when Ifalna said the Weapons were created just because of Jenova. I also believe Kishi was merely saying the Weapons were just not as old as the Planet itself.

Why couldn't have Jenova made the Crater herself? There's nothing in the game to imply anything else. Ifalna doesn't talk about her riding in on any meteor. You're assuming something when you don't need to. Plus, it doesn't matter. At all.

The Planet has power? What can the Planet by itself do? No, the Planet itself has no power. The Lifestream and Holy do. For all other threats, the Planet created the Weapons.

The paintings of the Temple of the Ancients are writings about the Black Materia. Possibly, yes, Meteor has been summoned before. Holy is the counter to Meteor. So, the Planet actually did see to it that it had a Weapon against Meteor: Holy.

How could Jenova have made it herself? She never exhibits that sort of strength, even if she did, she did it by crashing from the sky.
    What power does the planet have? Well the ability to create giant powerful monsters for a start.
    I realise you are in awe of the power of Holy, so let's look at this another way. Holy can stop meteor, Holy can wipe out all bad on the planet selectively. Then what the hell are the weapons for???
    For hopefully this time, the last time, HOLY AND LIFESTREAM ARE PART OF THE PLANET. They aren't separate entities that defend it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Holy is the counter for Meteor. It can only be used by a Cetra to fight Meteor, but can also wipe out whatever's bad currently on the Planet. The Weapons are for other serious threats to the Planet.

The Lifestream is part of the Planet, yes...what exactly does that prove?

Well, actually lifestream is a mixture of the conciousnesses of all the dead people and animals mixed into one, so if people started leaving to go to a different planet lifestream would diminish, so it isn't a part of the planet as such, ALTHOUGH no-one ever leaves really so I can se where you're coming from

"The Planet has power? What can the Planet by itself do? No, the Planet itself has no power. The Lifestream and Holy do. For all other threats, the Planet created the Weapons. "

My point is simply you seem to see them as separate entities.

So the planet made it's main defence against it's to date most dangerous threat, something that depends on there being a Cetra present, with the materia.
    All other threats, such as fish, sand worms, birds, and the odd island village are to be handled by giant killing machines. Which were coincidentally built at the time of the first crash, and resummoned prior to the second.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You have yet to show proof that the Weapons were summoned because of Jenova.

Well, if a normal human could use Holy, wouldn't it make sense if a normal human could then use Meteor? No, Sephiroth wasn't Cetra, but he was an abnormal human in a complete mako-haven. So maybe you don't exactly have to be Cetra to summon Holy, just super-powerful. I think it's better that way, actually.

I don't really need proof I don't think... they were made when Jenova arrived, they were released when the reunion was in progress and meteor had been summoned. I mean if Square bring out a new version it might have a special, glaringly obvious plot points pointed out by moogles option, but for now I'll rely on statistics and probabilties.
    Why bother having the planet's main defence need to be summoned? The planet can summon the weapons on it's own.

Just a quirky theory which has absolutely nothing to back it up at the moment. Who said Holy was around when the first crater was made? It would make sence if it WASN'T there at the time. If there's no holy, the most daage anyone on the planet could do from the air would be ultima, and that would only be just before it landed. Planet doesn't want to be swiss chees so it creates two superpowered materia; Meteor and Holy. Both can take out a planet, so the planet itself should be safe as long as noone with evil plans get there mits on it. It gets crafty and goes yin and yang on it so they would cancel out if an evil certa were to get it and use it. Tell me what you think of my random babble plz.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Phoenix: Where's the proof that the Weapons were created when Jenova arrived? They weren't released because of Jenova or the Reunion...they were released precisely when Meteor was summoned, because there was a grave threat to the Planet. ANY grave threat will summon the Weapons, even if it's one they can't fight(Meteor).

Pyro: That's quite a cool theory there. While interesting and possible, however, I don't think it's very probable.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Default Raist's foot. Location: Raist's mouth.

Originally posted by Raistlin
    The Weapons were not created just because of Jenova. I don't remember anything specifically saying that the Weapons were made solely to fight Jenova, since Jenova wasn't threat enough to summon them.
    I think you're mixing up the Weapons with Jenova...Ifalna tells you about the Weapons, just as she talks about Jenova coming 2000 years ago.

Unless you can provide a quote.

However, one big thing: If the Weapons were created expressly for Jenova, why weren't they summoned when she broke free?
    I'd like a quote of when Ifalna said the Weapons were created just because of Jenova. I also believe Kishi was merely saying the Weapons were just not as old as the Planet itself.
    You have yet to show proof that the Weapons were summoned because of Jenova.
    Phoenix: Where's the proof that the Weapons were created when Jenova arrived?
    I quote:

"Play the Video?
    "--> Yes
    "No"

"The Original Crisis
    "--> What is 'Weapon?'
    "Confidential
    "Don't watch"

GAST: (adjusts the recording equipment and walks towards the center of the room, facing Ifalna) "Ifalna, can you comment on the thing called 'Weapon'?"

IFALNA: (nods) "Yes, Professor."
    IFALNA: "The one the Professor mistook for a Cetra... was named Jenova. That is the 'crisis from the sky'."
    IFALNA: "The Planet knew it had to destroy the 'crisis from the sky'..."
    IFALNA: "You see, as long as Jenova exists, the Planet will never be able to fully heal itself."

GAST: (places his hand on his chin) "Back then, Weapon was a weapon the Planet produced of it's own will?"

IFALNA: (shakes her head) "Yes, but... There is no record of Weapon ever being used."
    IFALNA: "A small number of the surviving Cetra defeated Jenova, and confined it."
    IFALNA: "The Planet produced Weapon... But it was no longer necessary to use it."

GAST: (removes his hand from his chin and shrugs) "So, Weapon no longer exists on this Planet?"

IFALNA: (approaches Gast and shakes her head) "Weapon cannot vanish. ...it remains asleep somewhere on the Planet."
    IFALNA: "Even though Jenova is confined, it could come back to life at some time..."
    IFALNA: "The Planet has not fully healed itself yet. It is still, watching Jenova."

GAST: (places his hand on his chin) "Where is Weapon?"

IFALNA: (turns away from Gast and shakes her head) "I don't know...... I can't hear the voice of the Planet well..."
    IFALNA: "Time...have changed. The Planet...is probably watching this situation closely." (places her head in her hands)

GAST: (turns away from Ifalna, crouches slightly, raising his hand to his forehead and shaking his head, and turns back to Ifalna) "...Thank you, Ifalna, that will be all for today..." (approaches the recording equipment and turns it off)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Hmm...but explain this:

If Weapon was created to destroy Jenova, why wasn't it summoned when Jenova broke free and started moving around?