Thread: What is the latest Div X codec?

Default What is the latest Div X codec?

What is the latest div x codec and where can I download it so I can play this avi file that I just downloaded which only plays the sound and not the video?

"Ouch"

It's right here, suga'. Right here.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

5.2 is the latest codec, AFAIK. It's all available from www.divx.com

Silly me forgot that you can check what codec you actually need when playing video files. Gspot it is.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course that video could well be encoded using XVid and not DivX if it still doesn't work, seeing as XVid is getting more popular now - I find XVid to be much nicer myself anyway
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

yay it works! Thanks everyone! um.. got another question, when I installed the divx, does it go over the older divx? Cuz I don't want two of them to be floating around or do I need to delete the older version?

And what is windows media player 7.1 ? I only use mplayer2.exe , can I delete this windows media player 7.1?

"Ouch"

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think you can remove Media Player 7.1 or later, Microsoft kind of integrates it into Windows. But you can still use mplayer2 all the time, that's what I do to avoid v8

As for DivX, I believe it goes over version 4 and later, but version 3 remains. It's not a big problem as codecs are generally very small. Media Player will pick the one that's associated with a certain video format anyway depending on how they were installed.

I prefer ffdshow for all my DivX/XVid/MPEG/WMV1 playback - not only is it a lot more powerful and uses less CPU, but it also has lots of nice on-the-fly filters you can use like deinterlacing, postprocessing (to increase the quality by removing the blockiness of some video), sharpening/blurring, random noise static etc., and statistics too if you want them
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

okay thanks, it's just I never saw windows media player 7.1 in the add/remove programs list before.

"Ouch"