Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default DC++ suddenly stopped working

While I was out of the house today, DC++ (A popular multihub DirectConnect client) shut itself down, and now I can't get the bastard to run again; Every time I run the program, it closes itself within one second.

Anybody else having this problem? Can anybody tell me what the hell happened?

EDIT: Solved my own problem, but I'll put up the solution here anyways in case anyone else has the same problem.

Open up your hosts file (on Windows XP, it should be in your windows\system32\drivers\etc directory, i.e. c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (that would be the full pathname on a typical one-OS XP installation) in notepad, and paste the following line on the bottom of it:

#DC++
    127.0.0.1 dcplusplus.sourceforge.net

That should make it work.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

What version was this, out of curiosity?

0.177 gets a 404 error when it tries to find out the latest version from that site, but continues as normal for me, and I have 0.22 firewalled off everywhere except the university WAN so that one runs 'normal' as well, or similarly, I should say.

Just seems strange how 'blocking' that server fixed the problem on your machine.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem is in one of the XML files that DC++ automatically downloads from sourceforge; Until they get that fixed, blocking that server will do the trick.

In the mean time, of course, it means that the public hub list is inaccessible, since the public hub list for DC++ is on sourceforge