View Poll Results: Which spelling do you prefer?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aeris

31 86.11%
  • Aerith

4 11.11%
  • Areis??

0 0%
  • I don't really care at all about this topic or don't know who she is and/or haven't played FFVII

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith?

Default Aeris or Aerith?

I have noticed that people seem to have a preference to which name they say. Which is closer to the Japanese version of her name? Which is actually in the game? Why did you chose the way you want to call her. Plz I dying to know......not really but it's interesting :fd:

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aeris. No particular reason for this, it's just what she was called in the version of FFVII I first played. Sounds nice, kind of like "Iris" or "heiress".
    It's not that I have a problem with 'Aerith', either. I understand it means 'Elise' in Japanese... though I could be wrong.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's Aeris... I say kill anyone who calls her Aerith, because it's WRONG! why is it "WRONG"? Well, MY version says so, THAT'S why.

Whoa, caps lockfest '03

It's Aeris to me until someone shows me the Japanese version 100% fully and accurately translated with her name as Aerith.

Aeris for me too, Aerith just makes a raspier and less 'nicer' noise.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

It's Aeris to me until someone shows me the Japanese version 100% fully and accurately translated with her name as Aerith.
    The review copy of FFVII (sent out to magazines and such) had her as "Aerith". Square-Japan's own site had english name translations, and "Aerith" was the one used. Kingdom Hearts has "Aerith". "Aeris" was a translation cock-up on Sony's part, everyone needs to deal with it and move on.

Works for me.

How many other instances in all of the FF's had names that became bastardized in the translation process?

Rude: I think if you as much as glance at FF6, you'll find out that most of the characters got weird translation names, such as Mash <-> Sabin and Terra <-> Tina to name but two.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

I choose Aeris also, because.. basicly the same reason as Jenova·Rebirth. But where did 'Aerith' come from? Is it just a bad translation?

Originally posted by Star
    I choose Aeris also, because.. basicly the same reason as Jenova·Rebirth. But where did 'Aerith' come from? Is it just a bad translation?
    That's the impression I was under, but according to the other posts here, it seems Aeris is the bad translation.

Originally posted by Jenova·Rebirth
    That's the impression I was under, but according to the other posts here, it seems Aeris is the bad translation.
    *might be off topic* I heard somewhere that Square changed it to Aeris because it was hard for us english speaking people to say Aerith, or something like that! Either way, I do like both ways of spelling and pronunciation.

Originally posted by Star
    *might be off topic* I heard somewhere that Square changed it to Aeris because it was hard for us english speaking people to say Aerith, or something like that! Either way, I do like both ways of spelling and pronunciation.
    That could be the case, as there's alot of sounds and characters that do/don't exist in both of our languages. I don't think this is off topic simply because it's keeping with the reasoning behind the Aeris/Aerith debate.

I prefer Aeris, too. I don't know why, it just looks and sounds prettier than Aerith.

With the American translations, it seems to me that Aeris, Terra, Sabin just come out of our mouths better than Aerith, Tina, and MASH!.

(wtf kind of name is mash)

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

As long as it's not Aries, I don't care
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP