Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: who says FFIX isn't the best?

now.....about that whole thing with ff9's graphics being bad......unlike ff7, the charachters in final fantasy nine have FINGERS. thats a key thing ya know....for like.....using weapons and pulling levers. and...oh yeah....people in ff9 have mouths.....
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

UltimaSepheroth

hey!

they do so have mouthes in ff7!

look closley!

*hrmph!*

I live in a giant bucket Blizzard's Avatar

FFIX is my favourite FF, followed by VIII, X & V. :luff<3:

I just finished IX this morning and it surpasses FF7 in everyway except for character development.

Just my opinion though.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Originally posted by eestlinc
    the main part where I think the game could have been improved is the whole four shrines deal. They should have made you fight through each and face the boss with two member parties. that would have been much cooler.
    I would have found that insanely hard. My Eiko was about level 20. And having face Kraken with two white mages/summoners?
    I wouldn't have minded facing Timat and I suppose that Malaris wouldn't have been too bad.
    To be quite perfectly honest, I found Lich a pain because of a grossly underlevelled Quina.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I was dissapointed with the shrines as well... at first at least. I found my retribution later on in Memoria when I got to fight all of my favorite FFI fiends once again.

Howdy all. I'm new to this board.

I love FF9... I think its severly underrated. I'm not sure if it's my favorite but its definatley in the top... uh... few.

Ooo... and FF9 critics thread. Heeheehee. How fun.

Well, it's probably not hard to tell that FF9 is my favorite of all the Final Fantasy games. In fact, it's my favorite video game... er... favorite "thing" I'm fawning over at this particular moment in time... but eh, that's beside the point.

I actually would have disagreed with Big D about the secondary character development... until I played FF7. That game surpassed FF9 hands-down in all-around development, but I thought that the three main characters of FF9 got much more sympathy and identity out of me than any of the characters in FF7 did.

Did that make any sense whatsoever? Ehehe...

Zidane's attitude: his refusal to acknowledge the skill, intellect or authority of those in power.
    Actually, that attitude Zidane had is one of the things I adored about him. The fact is that Zidane is an outcast in society... he's an impish little creep... but why? He's a THIEF, he's someone who had to live off of his own wits and basically fend for himself a lot, even against his own "family." I know it's really not said in the story, but considering the way nobles treated him in Treno, I think Zidane's lack of respect is because, well, I don't think he really has a reason to show respect.

Zidane is still abusive and discourteous to those who try to protect what is right. He should've been greatful that Steiner or Amarant never gutted him on the spot for his 'crimes'.
    Good point. But Zidane was ALSO doing what he believed was right. Was kidnapping the princess right? In his eyes, yes. As far as holding the princess for ransom... well, I don't know if Tantalus would be the kind of peope who would actually DO that. I actually didn't assume that they were kidnapping Garnet for twisted reasons like rape or torture. Sure, others might have thought they were scum and would assume that that was the reason Garnet had been kidnapped. But that wasn't the reason Tantalus was kidnaping her.

----

Ehehe... sorry, I know it looks like I'm picking on you since you're the only one I quoted, but I just had to comment on that. (I'm a Zidane freak... can't resist defending him... )

---

As far as the costume designs comment goes... er... Would it REALLY have looked as appropriate if Dagger was walking around in, say, Tifa's get-up? Considering that FF was set in a mideval world, I think the clothing was completely appropriate.

---

* Plot points: Eiko has been virtually alone for most of her short life. Yet she's still cocky and sure of herself, and is somehow able to recognise Dr Tot as a 'nerdy academic'.
    Actually... I'm not sure she was alone all that long. Her parents died shortly after she was born, but her grandpa raised her for several years. I think he may have only passed away as little as a year before the game. Only my opinion, though. ^_^

---

As far as what I DISLIKE about FF9? Gah... my opinion is really, really warped. I hated the fact that it ended at all!! XD Just kidding.

Trance system. Blagh. After getting sweeeeeet as hell limit break systems and overdrives, I started to hate trance. The only thing I like about it is that you can use it more than once per battle. But of course, given that I tend to powerhouse my team, I often only get to use once strike before the battle is over. Which sucks. :P

And the fact that a few plotlines did get so wonderfully interesting, only to be dropped like dead leaves until the very end, where they were wrapped up, somewhat satisfactorily. But some things, like Freya's story, and Eiko's story.... I wanted to have seen more of that. Especially Freya.

And the last thing that I really didn't like...

The fact that what's going on in my sig and avvie... never really happened.

My humble (although maybe the length of this post may seem to contradict that) opinion only... ^_^

Turning the fantasy into SOME sort of reality... o_O

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Well it's an old thread, but any chance there is to put down FFIX...

Good point. But Zidane was ALSO doing what he believed was right. Was kidnapping the princess right? In his eyes, yes. As far as holding the princess for ransom... well, I don't know if Tantalus would be the kind of peope who would actually DO that. I actually didn't assume that they were kidnapping Garnet for twisted reasons like rape or torture. Sure, others might have thought they were scum and would assume that that was the reason Garnet had been kidnapped. But that wasn't the reason Tantalus was kidnaping her.
    It wasn't the reason, but possibly Zidane, and certainly not Steiner had any idea about that.

As far as the costume designs comment goes... er... Would it REALLY have looked as appropriate if Dagger was walking around in, say, Tifa's get-up? Considering that FF was set in a mideval world, I think the clothing was completely appropriate.
    You think Dagger wheres medieval clothes?

I only ever bothered to complete it once, but from what I remember the stuff going on in your sig DID happen in the game.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

I only ever bothered to complete it once, but from what I remember the stuff going on in your sig DID happen in the game.
    Er... I'm talking about the kissing. That never happened.

Turning the fantasy into SOME sort of reality... o_O

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

*Resists temptation to react*
    I thought the kiss did happen in the game.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, just a tearful hug. The kissing probably came later, though

UltimaSepheroth

i love final fantasy 7.

sephiroth is the greatest ever created.

there should be a massive superior statue of him with a mechanical sword that kill little birds and children under the age of 10! that would be fun... :evilking:

i ought to start work on that!

i am so out of touch with the whole damned hippy colony.

i need to visit them.

Ultima s. you scare me more and more every day i see you.................................................. but good idea on the sephiroth thing. i gotta agree that sephy is the best villain out of all of them. Ff9 could have worked on that. Kuja and Garland just didnt have the same effect that Sephiroth did.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

FFXIV Character

Ella Cinder (Sargatanas)

Yep. FFIX is a KEEPER! It's definetly my favorite FF! I loved all the characters (Well, it takes a lot for me actually not like a character........ the only FF character that I didn't like was Quistis. ~.~; ), I loved the story, I loved the rat and monkey people, and I loved Kuja's thong. What more could you ask for?

(*Notices Kurohime* Whoo! Go Quad 9 Dyne!! -Points to url in siggy-) ^___^