Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FFVIII: Best Final Fantasy Music?

Default FFVIII: Best Final Fantasy Music?

Back in 1999, I remember reading a couple of reviews saying that Final Fantasy VIII contained the best music compositions out of any Final Fantasy. In other words, no other musical works by Nobuo Uematsu compared to 8 and FFVIII was his highpoint in music. Just wanted to get your opinions. Do you think that FFVIII had the best music for Final Fantasy for its time? Or how about now? Do you think it has the best music up to now?

I have only played 8, 9, and 10 and I enjoy 8 especially. Then again, I could be letting my stereotypes from those articles dominate my thinking patterns. What are your 2 cents?

this is me on the left and to the right is my partner we love each other very much

I have always maintained that FF8 was the highpoint in all areas of RPG's. The music is absolutely divine.
    The music takes influence from operatic, Strauss, Beethoven and Danzi. Many of the others only had the J-pop and tinny J-techno. Some of FF7's music was quite horrifying and worked well with that grim sets.

FF10 has some very Japanese cords in the music mainly A and F, while the cords in 8 are typically classical.

Don't neglect FF7s latin operetic Sephiroth theme, also very cool.

I think FFVIII and FFX have the best music. From what I have heard, I like FFX-2 music also.

chadmonkey

While there's always a coupe of songs in every game that I really enjoy, I've always been partial to FFVI's music.

Kimera 726,

I am with you on this one. Prior to FF VIII, all the music in the series was good, but not as deep and melodic as FF VIII. They were always midi quality sounding. I enjoyed FF VII. I remember showing my daughter it and while doing so paying attention to the music and well it just sounded like it was all done on a casio musical keyboard. Don't get me wrong though, its still good music and fun to listen to, just compared to the quality in VIII, not even close. FFX has a decent OST. I like the music thats played at the beginning, which is also played in the game itself, for ex. while in the Djose highroad area. But its not as deep as VIII.

Sorry I sound like Im repeating myself here.
    Seeya!

How can't you just love her...??

Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Irvine! Comfortable whether in social settings or
    home on the range, you're easygoing and have a good heart.
    That is one reason everyone seems to adore you. But
    sometimes you feel like people don't see the real you
    behind that cowboy hat.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I like FFVIII's music, but there is no "in between music" there is either Superb music ("Unrest" which is the music that plays on Disc one when anything to do with Seifer Happens) or Absolutely APPALLING with the Balamb Garden music coming straight into mind. *shudder*

The music in FFVIII IS very beautiful. I think FFVIII, FFIX, and FFX have the best music. I can't decide between the three! In FFVIII, I love the song "Eyes on Me" the most.

Yes that is prolly one of the best in the OST. You have the lyrics?

Whenever sang my songs
    On the stage, on my own
    Whenever said my words
    Wishing they would be heard
    I saw you smiling at me
    Was it real or just my fantasy
    You'd always be there in the corner
    Of this tiny little bar

My last night here for you
    Same old songs, just once more
    My last night here with you?
    Maybe yes, maybe no
    I kind of liked it your way
    How you shyly placed your eyes on me

Oh, did you ever know?
    That I had mine on you

*Darling, so there you are
    With that look on your face
    As if you're never hurt
    As if you're never down
    Shall I be the one for you
    Who pinches you softly but sure
    If frown is shown then
    I will know that you are no dreamer

So let me come to you
    Close as I wanted to be
    Close enough for me
    To feel your heart beating fast
    And stay there as I whisper

How I loved your peaceful eyes on me
    did you ever know
    That I had mine on you

Darling, so share with me
    Your love if you have enough
    Your tears if your're holding back
    Or pain if that's what it is
    How can I let you know
    I'm more than the dress and the voice
    Just reach me out then
    You will know that you're not dreaming

How can't you just love her...??

Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Irvine! Comfortable whether in social settings or
    home on the range, you're easygoing and have a good heart.
    That is one reason everyone seems to adore you. But
    sometimes you feel like people don't see the real you
    behind that cowboy hat.

Must I remind you people of Chrono Cross? That had some really good music, I just finished downloading the soundtrack!

But FFVIII music is great, I don't however, have a favourite. There's alot of good music throughout the FF series, from FF1-FF11

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I'd say it had the second best OST overall out of the FF series, behind only FFVI.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVIII had some exemplary music. Some of it *cough-hack-Deling City-cough-wheeze* left a lot to be desired, but on the whole, it was just fine. The countless variations on the 'Eyes on Me' theme could've become repetitive, but fortunately each was kept just different enough to be interesting - for example, 'Love Grows' springs to mind for its beautiful introduction and mood. It's possibly the most diverse game music I've encountered, in terms of the sheer number of styles encompassed - everything from Japanese electronic/techno ('The Man with the Machine Gun') to sentimental jazz ('Julia'). FFVII and VIII are, far and away, my favourite game soundtracks.

Liberi Fatali rules, of course. Most of FFVIII's soundtrack is pretty solid, but I've always liked the final battle tracks best, like "The Extreme" (the music that plays for Ultimecia's final form). Overall, it's probably my second-favorite FF soundtrack (after VI).

"Eyes on me" , always the favourite song of mine, never forget it :rolleyes2

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

This soundtrack has its high points (The Oath, Drifting, Eyes on Me, Man with the Machine Gun, and a couple others), as does every other FF soundtrack (FF1: Gulgur Volcano, FF4: Overworld theme, FF5: Dear Friends, FF6: Terra's theme, FF7: Aeris's Theme, FFT: The battle musics not related to random encounters, FF9: You're not Alone, FF10: To Zanarkand). However, I find myself listening to FF9's soundtrack the most. If I had to rank the soundtracks of the non-NES games, I'd say...

1. FF9
    2. FF7/FF10 (Can't decide, so I'll call them both #2.)
    3. FF8
    4. FFT
    5. FF6
    6. FF5
    7. FF4

I think they're all great soundtracks, don't get me wrong. It's just that the higher ranked ones have more tracks I particularly like than the lower ranked ones.
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.

Hey it think that ff10 and ff8 are tied in the best music. Eyes on me is great but otherworld is my theme song. so both games are good in music and story.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Squall!
    A lone wolf with the weight of the world on your shoulders, you
    may not communicate your feelings to your friends, but you
    are a true friend to those you are close to. In spite of your
    hesitance to warm up to people, you're likely one hot number in
    the eyes of the opposite sex.