Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why so many women?

But, Raine's last name is Liore. Like Dazlar Bynon said, it says that on her grave, right? I have never heard Raine Leonhart. I'm pretty sure it's Liore, just that I haven't played the game in so long.....
    But, what do we know about the practices of who takes what name when ppl get married in the world of FFVIII? Since it's not consistent and I totally know that Squall is their son, I just assume that they have different practices than us.
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, it's common knowledge that the people of Winhill didn't approve of Laguna. After Raine's death, someone (a neighbour presumably) sent Squall to the orphanage, and probably would've signed him in under Raine's 'real' name. On her grave, however... they knew that she loved Laguna, and wanted to bear his name, so they'd have granted this concession for something as important as her final resting place. They just wouldn't have wanted her son to be associated with the man who, in their eyes, got her pregnant then went off galavanting around the world.

I must disagree with you there. I thought there was one memory-dream where Lagana was at the orphanage talking to Matron, I had the idea the felt Squall had to play a major part in a future event and wanted to protect him until then... (and he couldn't take care of squall himself) He may have given Squall Raine's name, but it is still not certain that he did or where it came from otherwise. The villagers may still have given Squall Raine's name though, since Laguna was nowhere to be found, in that I agree with you.
    AK-47s for everyone!

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Laguna is talking to Edea about Ellone whom Edea hasn't even met yet. I'm pretty sure Squall isn't even born yet at that point in time.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

So many people seem to criticize Besimudo. I really anjoy the ideas that he mention, especially since he does so many comparisens (which are very interesting).

Well, it looks like this forum is talking about Raine's last name right now... -_-

I agree with Besidumo about the women's roles in the game. Something we should see more often.

"evidence found to prove the tower of Babel".... This is idiocy because the biblical accounts are mythical just like the Greek.
    I agree, but calling it idiocy isn't exactly fair, as not every1 thinks so. I also don't like how Christianity is so factual and linear in their beliefs. Many things in the whole world are based on Christianity (holidays). Very much like how Yevon is what Spira is based on. Although Christianity isn't enforced like Yevon was.

Many Christianity based history books claim other religions to be "false". Christianity also believes that if you don't believe in God, you are condemned. They don't even think about enough evidence to support the events of Christianity actually taking place, much like Yevon in FFX. Yet they still call other beliefs as well as much of Science "false". At the same time, I don't hear many other religions calling Christianity "false". -_-.

Whatever religion/beliefs you believe in is your choice, but I don't think it's fair to not think about the fact that there are many other religions and beliefs out there.

Well I basiccaly believe in reincarnation and balence, but I do not claim anything not to be possible - there may be a god/ gods, I may even be condemned - I believe that you should have an open mind (adjust your believe if needed) but always stay true to yourself. You must also abide to society, to believe something must be done does not always mean you can just do it (like terrorist acts).
    AK-47s for everyone!

Well Laguna can genetically verify paternity, as the moobas mistake Squall as for Laguna. Remember the Moobas can identify people by their blood and in old times the English believed blood to carry the genes....i.e. you have his blood in you and "blood brothers. The relationship between Squall and Laguna is very clear....so arguing about it is a waste of time.
    There is no counter claim that Laguna is not his father.

This whole genetics thing is very profane; lets stick to the more implied and subtle themes... those which cannot be verified in the text literally; this is the nature of my inquires.

It is interesting that you found the other post clear. Perhaps this was due to my composing it at uni, rather than late at night when I enter madness mode metamorphosing into a conductor of the great beyond.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Quistis! You're a popular one. Life keeps you busy,
    but you still try to slow down once in a while and enjoy the
    world around you, in spite of how busy you are. You're in good
    shape, and you can't help being a bit of a flirt.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

Ok...i always thought that Squall was given the last name of Leonhart for more practical, out-side of the game reasons...I thought Squaresoft did that on purpose because they didn't want people knowing right off that Squall was Laguna's son.
    If he and Laguna had the same last name, then players would immediately pick up on the connection and the mystery element would not be there

It's main theme is love, and human relations. That appeals more to me then FF7's adventure where the characters sort of join the party for no reason and just start a quest or FF9's fairy tale-like story

Im sorry,but i didnt have time tonight to read all these posts,but i got to this.In ff7,they did have resons to join.

1)Cloud,being the maine character,had 'joined',or set out on his journey to get revenge on Sephiroth,but first,it was a mission to STOP Shinra.He had PLENTY of resons to be on this journey

2)Barret was out to save the planet and stop shinra from killing it.Simple enough.Go Barret!

2)Tifa.She was following Cloud becuase she loved him and because she felt somthing was wroung with him.She was trying to help him find andswers,and to help barret stop shinra

3)Aeris went because Shinra was after her,and she wanted to stop them,or atleast straighten things out so they wouldnt get her anymore.

4)Red 13 went along becuase he felt it was his duitey to help his people and his planet,not to mention he wanted reveng on shinra and hojo for 'kidnapping' him

5)Cid went because of his space prograhm.He felt that shinra took it away from him,and he went for his dream

6)Yuffie wanted to help her hometown regain its glory

7)Vincent wanted to kill Hojo for harming Lucretia,and to get revenge for his mistakes.to make up for them

8)Cait sith was a shinra spy.He went because reeve felt guilty for being with shinra.

9)...am i forgetting anyone?

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, you're not forgetting anyone. There are 9 characters, but you listed Barret and Tifa both as number two.

One thing "get out of jail free"

Gee people complain that I go a little off topic....Was this post accidentally posted here or what?
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Quistis! You're a popular one. Life keeps you busy,

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, wasn't this thread originally something to do with the number of women in FFVIII's cast?

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

No it wasn't. Kali and I repeatedly tried to ask what the theme of this thread was but people just argued with us. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it went.

I can't seem to see the off topic post that you're talking about, that might be because I still don't know what the topic is meant to be.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Ok, well from the original post one can derive multiple areas of discussion...that the beauty of a forum.

Simply talk about the idea of women in FFVIII it is a very strong theme.

I would appreciate a character analysis or even a look at social precept of women (why are women so powerful in FFVIII) I like this one because it proved FF games were not restricted to the usual long haired Anime style punce bad guy stereotype we have come to expect from Sephiroth, Kuja and Seymore.... Hell I knew Seymour was "evil" the moment he entered the story of FF10. Obviously I found Edea refreshing and her shocking link to the SeeD past made her even more relevant.

Anyhow that’s my rant for today

Cheers

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, Edea's pointy black gloves and trippy contact lenses lend her an aura of 'evilness' too. As for the "long haired... punce [sic] bad guy stereotype"... there are plenty of "poncey" characters in FFVIII (simply a quirk of Tetsuya Nomura's style, rather than his deliberate intent I believe). Every male character in the recent FFs - even 'older' characters like Laguna and Auron - have perfectly smooth and shiny hair and skin. It's unnaturally good; even effeminate, some might say. Not me, though, I don't really care... the point is, it's not really something that should be subject to a literary critique, since it's just a stylistic idiosyncracy.