Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why so many women?

Default Why so many women?

In Final fantasy 8 Squall female companions are very attractive. Compared with other adventures FF7, FF9 fewer female members comprised the excursion party. For Cloud Tifa was certainly more physically attractive, while Aeris had other appealing qualities (see the imagery in the FF7 thread for details).
    In FF9 it as clear garnet is arguably the most divine character in any FF game...she had the pureness of Aeris and ornament like features of rinoa (but much cuter again). What am I developing here, well in FF8 even Edea was gorgeous along with Quistis, Selphie and Rinoa...What are the creators saying? Well on the outskirts the romantic theme makes FF8 seem like titanic rip-off, in fact ff8 seems lees developed if taken literally than ff7 and until I completed FF8 and pieced themes together FF8 did seem quite ordinary. Similarly to Homers Odyssey, when taken for granted reads like an epic "Days of Our Lives" highlights the Humanness of our existence. Sure, FF8 has wars and conquest, yet these thing take heed to the more interesting preoccupations...chiefly love and human relationships. Most of the time Humans cannot readily justify their actions, as is true with Squall and Odysseus...These men encounter beautiful women, fight wars interact with gods and supernatural forces, the reasons are multiple, intertwined and complicated. In FF8 the big mission is Rinoa, the turmoil is from the heart and only the player is privy to this information. Alfred Hitchcock was well aware that characters deliver more than plot, then events deliver less than plot again. Events are circumstantial, plots are specific while characters are eternally human. When the plot takes precedence over the characters we see a degradation in the whole story... This is why FF8 was so brilliant it allowed the character to flourish.
    No keeping with the inquiry that Laguna and squall are some kind of fated humanists, there appeal to women makes this even more viable, Lucifer after all was the most attractive of the angles. In previous threads we have examined the role Laguan and Squall bring in empowering humanity and it seems that no matter how clumsy and useless Laguna is some infernal power ensures he succeeds, even his entrapment of adel looks unreasonable and very idiotic. Laguna’s infernal powers are so great that all women he has contact with either die or become jeopardised to live disruptive lives. Julia, Raine and Ellone. It could also be argued that the death of Raine was attributed to the birth of Squall (fenris) the son of Laguna (Loki) - a literalist would look at these facts as "plot drivers" oh Raine died so then Squall could be brought up in Garden or else the story could not happen (this thinking is quite common in the rationalist age) ... but non the less moronic... I could be accused of going too far, but then explain why there are ample religious references in the game.

Well, well, it seems that you started on one question and ended up with another, making countless questions in between. When I played FF8, I must tell you, I found nothing religious in it. It's main theme is love, and human relations. That appeals more to me then FF7's adventure where the characters sort of join the party for no reason and just start a quest or FF9's fairy tale-like story. FF8 is perhaps more evolved FF, concentrating on real-life while still retaining all the fantasy attributes. That's what I love so much about FF8, there has never been a game like that, not that deep and involving.

I found FF10 to be much more religious then FF8. The whole story revolves around believing in something, and following primitive rituals instead of concentrating on one's life. It even comes dangerously close to doubting the existance of God. There is nothing like this in FF8.

Well, Besimudo, looks like you bring up another serious topic up. Keep up the good work!
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Squall!
    A lone wolf with the weight of the world on your shoulders, you
    may not communicate your feelings to your friends, but you
    are a true friend to those you are close to. In spite of your
    hesitance to warm up to people, you're likely one hot number in
    the eyes of the opposite sex.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

ahhh, yes well FF8 is not religious itself, but it contains religious dogma...and this is what we are really interested in. It is fair to say that FF10s actual story revolved around religion, but it tended to criticize religion as some sort of "left over" trying to maintain itself in the modern era. FF8's religious references go very deep and represent how religion should work in society... i.e not a conspiring authority like in 10, but more as a tool to realise how symbolic events and people are...FF8 does this brilliantly

It's an interesting analysis, and I kind of concur. A lot of religion and faith are in this world, and no doubt the creators of this game years ago used a little of their influence to get it into the game. I wouldn't be so sure about the woman part, though. Media over the years has always been trying to attract larger audiences, and what greater way to do that than to increase the level of sex appeal. From Padme to Seven of Nine, Ally McBeal to Trinity, Edea to Yuna, it's always been growing, so in my view it's not surprising that the women of FF8 would be created to be as attractive as they are, and their romantic responses to the main characters like Laguna and Squall would further emphasize that.

So you're asking us, "Why so many women?" I guess I kinda answered your question. Sorry if I don't know enough mythology and religion to establish a plausible counter-arguement, making a very exciting thread, but it's got a lot of support and didn't think about things like that before. A "titanic rip-off"? I wouldn't be so sure about that. Maybe the elaborate clothing and the themes have things in common, but there certainly wasn't any wars. And if I recall correctly, the Odyssey did not have any wars, but more like side stories to a far greater purpose: going home. They encounter gods, superior beings, and in the end there is a grand battle to protect Penelope. Here, I think you can say the same for FF8. The party uses the power of the Guardian Force, travel across continents and through time, for the sole purpose of stopping evil. And meet some pretty attractive women along the way. But what's to say is attractive? Attractiveness is an opinion (I think).

Blah, I'm just typing stuff as they come to mind. No offense, anybody.

this is me on the left and to the right is my partner we love each other very much

Besimudo, you are not even 21yrs old, yet you seem like a wise individual. You really hit some deep discussion points in your post. I didn't think anyone on here had that sort of depth, not to put anyone down or anything, but most of the people in here are under the age of 19. While 19 isn't real young, you just lack wisdom at that age. I am almost 27. I have yet to see a profile of anyone in here thats my age. For me to have just read your post I must say its a great post. Now that I have kissed your ass way too much I shall make some comments on your post

Your right about the females in FFVIII. They are all hotties and each have their qualities. I believe there is some sort of religious theme in the game. While it may not be as strong as the theme in FFX, its still there. But love is definately the driving force in the game. Love is the only reason Squall and Rinoa were able to connect after Time Kompression. Love saved Rinoa while she was floating in space almost dead. While Squall may not have shown it for the first 3 cd's (lol) i know he still felt it. He just had such a deep wound, with having to grow up alone, bearing more than a young man/child should. Hence his shy/loner personality. Given the chance though, Squall shines. What makes him shine? Is it religion thats backing him? I dunno. Both him and his dad had strong souls, strong wills, which in the end always saved their asses. I wouldnt say though that those three women lived distruptful lives due to Laguna. Was there a cause of Raines death? I forget. But Ellone only lived a different life because she had a gift. Julia, she was a singer in a bar. What ever happened to her? I forget that also..LOL Well I havent played the game in a while. I just started a week ago so I am back into it. But the game is imprinted in my mind, it definately touched me in a way. To see the end result of the relationship between Rinoa and Squall has hope that I may find that special one someday. I thought after an 8yr relationship I did but it wasnt ment to be. Anyways I have rattled on enough for now.

How can't you just love her...??

Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Irvine! Comfortable whether in social settings or
    home on the range, you're easygoing and have a good heart.
    That is one reason everyone seems to adore you. But
    sometimes you feel like people don't see the real you
    behind that cowboy hat.

Kimera thats a funny ass pic of Squall and Got Milk?

LMAO!! You make that yourself? You weirdo!

How can't you just love her...??

Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Irvine! Comfortable whether in social settings or
    home on the range, you're easygoing and have a good heart.
    That is one reason everyone seems to adore you. But
    sometimes you feel like people don't see the real you
    behind that cowboy hat.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The number of women in FFVIII has more to do with balance, I think. Other games in the series have far fewer major characters who are women (understandable considering that most soldiers are men), but FFVIII wanted to 'even it out' a little. Romance is a driving force of the plot; but romance is less easy with a smaller female cast (unless they were to write in some homosexual characters, which would give all the American censors brain haemorrhages). Also, strong female characters appeal to a wide audience, both male and female.

The characters are all physically attractive because, mainly, of the superficiality of many people who buy video games. Hormonal, pubescent teenagers simply won't care about a character unless they're physically 'perfect' ('perfect' according to stereotype, that is), so unfortunately those of us who appreciate 'inner beauty' are often neglected... not that I'm saying that the FFVIII women lack inner beauty, of course, I've merely digressed a little.

THe sheer number of women who try to 'make moves' on Squall is partially a comedic device, I think. He shuns people, doesn't express his feelings and has few friends, so it's quite entertaining to see how he deals with the attention.

Rinoa was first drawn to Squall because of his looks ("You're the best looking guy here..."), which sadly reinforces the notion that looks matter more than personality when finding someone. Of course, that changed when they got to know one another, but still...

Again. I must disagree with your assesment of Laguna as 'infernal'. He may seem to have the 'devil's own luck', but really his plans aren't too scatterbrained. They're impulsive and he doesn't always explain them well, but hew generally knows what he's doing. As for his attractiveness to women, that's a combination of humour, charisma, positivity and looks. He not arrogant, overbearing or sexist, so there's little that women wouldn't like about him. Interesting point about the fates of the women he meets, though...

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I really didn't notice any religious themes in FF8...

I agree strongle with Big D here. I didn't think there was much of any love in the game. The majority of the game, Squall just wants Rinoa to leave him alone. It's only when she's posessed that he starts to really care. I have no idea why either. Squall just suddenly jumps from not caring at all ("Whatever") to pulling his hair out because she won't wake up. I never got why Rinoa was so hot on Squall either. Sure, he's got that dashing name and the manly scar, but really, he's just kinda cold to her. She also fell in love with Seifer after only meeting him once, then inexplicably changes horses mid race. Maybe "love" isn't quite the right word for what's going on here...

Or maybe I missed something big or played the game all wrong....

Besimudo, you are very good at comparisens between FF and other stories and movies (although you seem to get off topic a little...). Women are used for sexual appeal almost everywhere, so you shouldn't be surprised with that Squaresoft would make some of the characters' outlook appealing as well. People would obviously be interested in something if it had attractive main characters.

Although there are people who would want to get a game for their interest in it's gameplay or story.

Squaresoft want their games to be appealing not only in gameplay, but in the characters as well.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also think they were just evening it out with the women and men.

I didn't really find any religous stuff in FFVIII, or in any FF except for FFX which revolved around it.

I also thought it was axward about how Squall all asudden cares for Rinoa, but then I realised it. He always loved and cared about her... he just kinda wanted her to go away, because he was afraid. He didn't want to love her, in fear he would lose her.

Remember him thinking about this during the part where Edea talks about Ultimicia. And on the railroad in FH. He said he was afraid what others thought of him, cuz' he was afriad he wouldn't like him (he thought Ellone didn't like him anymore when he was little)

Sure, he's got that dashing name and the manly scar, but really, he's just kinda cold to her
    I thought Squall was a cool character! And I lied that scar... and the name too! (says name Squall a million times)

I never got why Rinoa was so hot on Squall either
    She saw through his coldness and saw that he cares! ^.^

Originally posted by Big D
    The number of women in FFVIII has more to do with balance, I think.
    I totally agree and I believe that that's a good thing and I don't care what anyone thinks about that, it's my opinion and I have a right to it. In most cases it is one sex that is more important. I don't want to give examples, but it could be seen as a sexist's act, wether it be male or female. I don't agree with that either. It's all about what people want, they just try to play into that.

I just want to let everyone know that I believe in balance totally and hope that the public agrees (even though they don't have to).
    AK-47s for everyone!

Besimudo...exactly what are you trying to say?...it you're going to campare ff8 characters with literary and mythological figures can you please ...at least...formulate a proper, clear thesis ...if its not too much trouble

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Besimudo theory was good. But I kinda don't know about those mythology characters/people. I'm know more about creatures... like chimeras and griffins

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Actually I agree with Kali I'd like to see a clearer statement or question put forward. I'm also lost as to where these religious references are in the game. I'm hoping they're actually in the plot for once given I think every FF uses some name from a religion or legend.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Besimudo spots many similarities, but I wonder if he sees FF as a unique subject. From his posts, he seems to believe FF is composed of many other things put together.