Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroines always getting the weaker weapons

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

OOOOH! WEAPONS TALK!!!! YAY!!!!!

Swords are fairly good weapons, but so are sticks. While swords make clean cuts through flesh, sticks smash bones. There is are many Filipino martial arts based on stick fighting, one of which I study. Look up Magellan, he was killed by a Filipino stick fighter. This is what simple rattan sticks do. If the stick was made out of metal, I dread to think of the damage that could do...

Bows are KINDA slow, in that you have to reload them every time, but I've seen (as in seen with my own eyes in real life) archers shoot bows just as fast as a revolver, and with crazy accuracy. Sure, they make bad melee weapons, but that's why you stay away from the thing you're shooting. From a distance, a bow is FAR more dangerous than any sword, making them slightly more ideal for mages, who'd want to keep their distance anyway so they can have time to cast spells.

So yeah, these aren't bad weapons, and I'd personally prefer a stick to a sword, since swords are only deadly on the blade, while sticks are just plain deadly all over.

Sticks take several hits to actually sustain fatal damage. Blades can result in death with a single blow if you know how to use it. And what is this deal about women and mages? Something I'm learning about in classes is that throughout history, women in some societies has always been considered an essential player in the maintanance of the family structure. They make the clothing and raise the kids, I know. But some are able to serve in high-level roles by assisting their male partners. And there has been many instances of women in the field: Empress Wu of China, Joan of Arc in France, Marie Curie, etc.

I guess you can't help for some to be traditionalists; but then again its easier to play a game set on those restrictions since its common knowledge. No offense. This has been the theory in the past couple decades but I am seeing changes in women's roles in life and in game and that I'm happy about.

this is me on the left and to the right is my partner we love each other very much

okay, I guess you don't think severe head trauma from a blunt object is fatal.... When you watch fantasy movies it's easy to forget a few important things. First off, swords can't easily heck off limbs and such. Sure, they cut through flesh, but bone? You'd need a HEAVY sword to do that. Even then, you wouldn't have an easy time of it.

Another thing that's easy to forget when you've watched Aragorn decapitate his 500th orc is that blunt weapons can indeed do a LOT of damage. Have you ever been hit with a rock or a baseball bat? Yeah, that's what it's like to be hit with a stick. Now imagine that instead of aluminum, that bat is made out of steel.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Originally posted by Kimera 726
    And there has been many instances of women in the field: Empress Wu of China, Joan of Arc in France, Marie Curie, etc.
    I was actually going to state "Yes, I know there were people such as Joan of Arc" but forgot. That is only 3 women, yes there were women on the battlefield, but there were many times more men. MANY MANY times...

And I agree with DJzen - films like LoTR do make wielding weapons look easy - just look at Legolas and how easy he pulls back his bow string in quick succession - it's just... wrong.

Yes. Legolas can shoot the arrows very quickly, but I don't see too many female archers in FF going that fast. They go REALLY slow (even though the FF female archers are 16-bit). I don't know, I just don't think women look good with a bow/crossbow. Men look great with them though. Anyway, I greatly prefer a samurai sword or scythe than a bow/crossbow or a rod/stick.

hmm...why do heroins have weak weapons? So the can protect them ofcourse! anyhoo they aren't really weak weapons IMO its just the character who is weak...Even though in X-2 all 3 girls have pretty strong weapons, I think it's because the games message is "Women Power"
    **insert catchy sig**

i think the whole conceptis based more on the reality of things. Women are physically weaker then men, period. Thats not a sexist statement, thats a fact. Look at the Army PT minimums for men then look at the minimums for women. Yes there are women out there who are physically stronger than most men, but that on a whole is rare. Thats why women are given weapons that required more finesse like bow and arrows and whips and stuff like that. weapons that dont normally require the excessive brute stregnth that most women do not have.

again let me stress. I am not sexist in any way, nor was this intented to be sexist. Its a fact that women tend to be weaker physically than men, but they make up for that with finesse and grace that men do not possess
    duty is the sublimest word in the english language
    -Gen. Robert E. Lee

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Originally posted by Imperia
    Yes. Legolas can shoot the arrows very quickly, but I don't see too many female archers in FF going that fast. They go REALLY slow (even though the FF female archers are 16-bit). I don't know, I just don't think women look good with a bow/crossbow. Men look great with them though. Anyway, I greatly prefer a samurai sword or scythe than a bow/crossbow or a rod/stick.
    That was my point - nobody can use a bow that quickly, but let us just remember how many battles were won - like Agincourt say. In that battle, English bow power anhilated the French Knights before they could come close.

Have you met an elf? Don't say "nobody" when fantasy is involved.

Its a fact that women tend to be weaker physically than men, but they make up for that with finesse and grace that men do not possess
    Uhhhhhhh...................

Okay, women have less muscle mass to develop than men do, it's not like they're just plain weaker. They also don't inherently posess more grace than men. In fact, most of the women I run into routinely bump into things and fall over randomly. Strength and grace are not bred into you, they're traits that must be developed. Furthermore, there are different kinds of strength. There is lifting strength and explosive strength, both of which have to be developed in different ways.

It's just a stereotype, so don't let it get to you. Guys are stupider, and stronger. Therefore they get the big sword/axe and have lower magic power. Girls are the opposite. It's just the way it is. There are exceptions, however. Ayla from CT and Kid from CC are both rockin' characters that kick arse. Ronfar (male) from Lunar 2 was the main party's healer while Jean has extremely powerful and had cool offensive moves. AND she was extremely fast. Tifa from FFVII used her fists, and to me that makes her the strongest of em' all because while the guys need swords/guns, Tifa can just run up and bash em in and do the same amount of damage. I'm sure there are tons more, but it's just the way it is. The main audience for games are adolescent guys, so they wanna be the macho man saving the cute, graceful, smart girl.
    "It's an adult kiss...we'll do the rest when you get back." -Misato Katsuragi

[size=1]Soul Calibur r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    Actually... I don't wear boxers, but Soul Calibur r0x0rz my briefz0rz just doesn't have the same ring to it...

**Proud owner of the Mercedes Scar**

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Because women are here to have babies!

*FALLS OVER LAUGHING*

Yeah, that's why all the chicks in FFV had !make baby.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

BatChao I don't think there was a sentence in your post that I agreed with.
    I think that discussing women making babies should be left alone before we discover how edczxcvbnm related babies with long range weaponry.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Originally posted by Phoenix 17
    BatChao I don't think there was a sentence in your post that I agreed with.
    I think that discussing women making babies should be left alone before we discover how edczxcvbnm related babies with long range weaponry.
    Isn't it obvious :rolleyes2

Back in these sexist times the woman stayed home and made babies. TEH END>...or not. They have this huge bulging stomach so they are not going out on the front line like men. They stay at home and just keep shooting the old bow and arrow at a target in the house. That way if she sees someone comeing towards the ol' homestead she can kill them before they get there. Because she is always laying around on the account of 'baby stomach' or BS( ). They don't develop the muscles to swing around these huge swords and axes. They have but only the strengh to use a flail and other weakling weapons.

WOMEN MAKE BABIES XD