Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroines always getting the weaker weapons

Default Heroines always getting the weaker weapons

All right, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but this has been bothering me for a while. I don't know about you guys, but I am sick and tired of the FF heroines always having much weaker weapons than the men. They always either have a bow/crossbow, which is a slow weapon, or a whimpy little rod/stick. The only Final Fantasy that has had swordswomen are FFV and FFVI. I wish women weren't portrayed as nicey-nice weaklings all the time! Shame on all the sexists of the world! I wish a heroine could use a sword, or a scythe or a long, great axe. They always give the men the fancy weapons!
    Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

chadmonkey

It's because the main hero is always male, except for V and VI, where one could argue that there was no true main charater(although butz is close). Since the main character is what th story evolves around and who you get attached to, that's who they give the really cool big weapon to. I agree that there should be more female leads with bad-ass weapons(there's also beatrix in IX, although she's not really a heroine). It's odd that they haven't done that yet considering it's been "cool" in the last few years to have a female lead or costar in a movie that commands a lot of authority and is a bad-ass. Oh well.

Master of War DelightfulSpekkio442's Avatar

I thought Tifa was a pretty bad-ass fighter. I liked Quistis' whip too. And now in FFX-2, Yuna's got two pistols! How cool is that?

~MJE~
    "Ipso, facto, meeny moe...MAGICO!!!"

Yeah, I never would have remembered Beatrix, but I guess she is a npc after all.
    I agree, though; if I were fighting monsters n stuff, I wouldn't want to use a rod, whip, bow n arrow, whatever that stupid thing Rinoa used was, or that kinda stuff....granted, I've never actually had any experience w/ using weapons, but I would want to use a cool sword.
    It's just yet another extension of sexist gender roles! EEeehh oh well, they basically put men and women on equal terms, I guess.
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Let's not forget Freya and her amazingly cool lance.

X-2 as well. Paine and Rikku with blades, and Yuna with duels. I think the mood about women is changing.

this is me on the left and to the right is my partner we love each other very much

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

From what I've seen, X-2 seems to have gone a bit too far though. Doesn't anyone think there aren't enough male mages, just to flip the coin.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Originally posted by Phoenix 17
    Doesn't anyone think there aren't enough male mages, just to flip the coin.
    Yeah, that's probably one of the things that bothers me most about FF nowadays. The only male mages I can think of are Tellah, FuSoYa, Palom, Strago, Vivi and Tidus. Two are little kids, three are old men, and then there's Tidus. =\ I guess they assume that if the men are in any shape at all they can only do melee combat. Nothing wrong with that, but more male mages would be nice.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I would think that shooting an arrow or bolt into somebody would be faster than tearing through the old flesh and bone with a sword.

True...but it doesn't seem nearly as fun...
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ

Originally posted by Lexy
    True...but it doesn't seem nearly as fun...
    Weak arguement.

You would logically assume that shooting an arrow takes time to prep. Even a person like Legolas needs to pull his arrow from behind, mount it to the bow, and pull the arm back. He doesn't just shoot blind. It takes precision, but it would be accurate.

But in one other sense, if the next final fantasy was to have a female lead, there'd be nothing to complain about anymore about sexist jobs in the FF battle system.

this is me on the left and to the right is my partner we love each other very much

What about Agrais from FFT? She was pretty bad-ass.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Originally posted by Skye-chan
    Yeah, that's probably one of the things that bothers me most about FF nowadays. The only male mages I can think of are Tellah, FuSoYa, Palom, Strago, Vivi and Tidus. Two are little kids, three are old men, and then there's Tidus. =\ I guess they assume that if the men are in any shape at all they can only do melee combat. Nothing wrong with that, but more male mages would be nice.
    Tidus was no mage! he was a little girly wimp who wielded a sword, and the only magic that was on his part of the Sphere grid were things like Slow and Haste/

And Beatrix isn't an NPC - you do get to play as her at one point(And nick her equipment, heh heh)

And what's wrong with a longbow? Without them, Medieval battles such as Agincourt couldn't have been won, and as most pf the weapons in FF are medieval weapons, it's a good weapon to have, so stop whinging!

Also, Maria in FFII could be equipped with a Sword, an Axe or a Spear(As Well as a longbow.

Why do men get better weapons? Well, I am going to have to say it is because men are stronger than women. Yes, there are some exceptions, no doubt about that, but it's why MOST members of the armed forces are male. And of course, reverting back to medieval times, Pretty much every soldier was male, and like I say, the weapons are vaguely similar to the ones used then.

And women in FF get magic, and evil summoning beasts! I mean, there's hardly any male summoners, the only time males can summon them is when there is no permanent job class. Just look at Rydia, Eiko, Garnet and Yuna. Who'd win between someone with a sword and Bahamut with it's MegaFlare? Eeeeeexactly.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Originally posted by Psychotic
    Tidus was no mage! he was a little girly wimp who wielded a sword, and the only magic that was on his part of the Sphere grid were things like Slow and Haste/
    Yeah, I guess the sword doesn't exactly make him a mage, but I always considered him a time mage because he's the only one who knew Haste and Slow. At least we both agree that he's a girly wimp. =)

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> On Mystic Quest Kaeli cut down trees and slay monsters with some heavy Axes..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..