Thread: Having a problem with my laptop.

is very female. Recognized Member Daryl's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Having a problem with my laptop.

I have a laptop by HP, and I'm running Windows XP in case that makes any difference.

In the last few weeks, whenever I'm watching a DVD with Windows Media Player, or using ZSNES, at random my computer will just shut off. There's no consistant time of usage before this happens; sometimes (rarely) I can get through a movie, sometimes I get through the opening credits.

Ran a virus scan, it came back clean.

I'm not sure what else it could be. I usually have it plugged in, so, I don't think it's a battery issue.

Anyone have any ideas? =\

chadmonkey

I have a similar problem with my laptop where it restarts at random times for no apparent reason. I just moved my hard drive to another computer and the same thing happens. Looks like I have to reinstall the OS.
    I guess the point of my post is that you might have to reinstall your OS. Sorry

Star had exactly the same problem, though with a Toshiba laptop. Her cooling fan packed in too, in the end she had to send it back to the factory to get a new HD and cooling fan.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

If reinstalling the OS is all you have to do, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem, just install it over the top of your existing one. I'd guess that it's a problem with your fan, though.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd say it's a cooling problem too
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

is very female. Recognized Member Daryl's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So, clout and the rest of you (heh), if it's a cooling problem, what exactly can I do to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I installed something called Speedfan on my dad's laptop since that also had an oveheating problem - in there disable the automatic fan speed, and go into it's options and set the fan speed to 100% (or slightly less if it's too noisy for you ), and set the program to start with the computer - that should force the fan to always be on Plus you get an icon in the tool tray monitoring the temperature of the CPU or whatever else you set it to monitor, provided the necessary sensors are there
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP