Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Biggs, Wedge, & Jessie's role in the game. [SPOILERS]

Default Was Biggs, Wedge, & Jessie's role in the game.

To help carry along the plot of the game until Tifa, Barret, and Cloud were developed enough to take control of the game.

I always thought that was what their purpose was.

And once the main characters were developed enough to take over the game they were not needed anymore. And that is when they were killed off.

I always viewed them as kind of like while the house was being built they were the support for the house. And once the walls were strong enough to take control for themselves. The supporting boards are not needed, so they are taken down.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Your idea is good, and better than this one, but it could have been because AVALANCHE would look pretty stupid with just Barret and Tifa as members...

yeah, I wasn't so much focusing in on the plot of the gameworld. But more along the lines of how the game creators developed the story. And the role that each character was given to develop the story.

They were killed off, storywise, because Shinra doesn't care about peoples' lives or the planet, proving Avalances point.

It was a pivotal event in the game because had they not died, Barret and Co' would've continued to blow up reacters and causing mayhem. Like Barret realizes late in the game he didn't go about fighting Shinra the right way. Plus, Cloud wouldn't have discovered Jenova/Sephiroth, and the whole rest of the game after the deaths of Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie wouldn't have come about.

Fate works in sad ways, sometimes.

Default i agree

i agree with all these points,but...i also feel(as an add on) that they were killed because people would wounder 'why cant we play them'.they just didnt fit in the story quite right,or wouldnt have if they were never killed

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

I just think it as they died for the planet and they were there somewhere with that lifestream and that way they saved the planet.
    Ok it's a dum excusse but that's how I like to think about it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Their senseless, self-sacrificing death's fuelled Barret's anger at Shinra even further. It re-affirms for the player that FFVII can, and will, be nasty and dark at times. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie were shown to be nice people at times; the deaths of nice people can be very provocative in a story. They make the player, as well as the characters, hate the antagonist even more. Until their deaths, however, the trio's main job was to fill the 'empty spaces' which would later be occupied by the main characters.

Mr Graves makes a number of excellent points. Biggs, Wedge, Jessie and Barret weren't entirely innocent. Jessie mentioned this before her death, Barret didn't realise it 'till later; but it's an important revelation for them nonetheless.

I always thought of it as Square using the same gimmick with Aeris. She was killed so you would hate Sephiroth more.......and Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie were killed so you would hate Shinra more.

Ahhhhh......once again, Big D gets there before me, and says it better than I do.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Not to be cynical, but they were killed for the same reasons most FF PC's or NPC's are killed off, like (SPOILER)Josef, Tellah, Galuf, and General Leo.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Hate to seem mean but I ddn't miss Briggs much... the other two yea but I think they died for the good of the planet! And Im trying to learn not to get too fond of these characters as they usally are killed off.

I dont really MISS them.now that i have gone through the whole game,they are but just a small part,and just a memorie.BUT,the part they did play was to make us hate shinra.So..maybe not such a small part at all

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Watching the more rotund one's (Wedge I think) death was actually very well done, as he was shown being shot and then falling from high off the stairs. He is then on the ground with Aeris tending to him and says his last words.

Pretty good stuff.

actually from that big of a fall shouldn't he have died on impact.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S

Gravity seems to be a little different in the FFVII world. Cloud fell from the bottom of the Plate, through a roof and onto a flower bed largely unscathed (but he had (SPOILER)Mako and Jenova treatment on his side). Tifa had a huge fall escaping from the Junon gas chamber. Cid and co were able to jump about 15 metres to get onto the Shinra cargo train during the Huge Materia quest. Throughout the game, characters' falls and jumps suggest that gravity isn't quite so strong on FFVII's Planet.

Thinking about it Cloud (maybe a spoiler) had a fall near the start of the game and he wasn't hurt but I realy don't think flowers can realy cushion you that much.