Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Number 7

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Default The Number 7

In real life, the number seven means alot of different things. Seven goes back as far as some old religions of the middle east region.

--seven days in the week
    --seven colors in a prismatic rainbow
    --seven different notes in an octave
    --seven wonders of the ancient world
    --the seven deadly sins
    --the seven circles of hell
    --Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai
    --Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
    --in American football, a touch-down and a field goal will give your team seven points
    --of course, Final Fantasy VII

In addition to all these (and more) relations to seven, FF7 has it's own devotion to the number seven.

--Seven main characters: Cloud, Barrett, Tifa, Aeris, Red XIII, Cait Sith, and Cid.
    --Seven head Shinra employees: Pres. Shinra, Rufus, Reeve, Heidegger, Scarlet, Hojo, and Palmer.
    --The Shinra building has 70 floors.
    --Lucky 7's: when your HP is at 7777.
    --Sector 7 and Tifa's 7th Heaven.
    --7 years between Cloud and Tifa's promise and the flashback of the same.
    --Seven characters (Cloud, Barrett, Tifa, Aeris, Red XIII, Yuffie, and Cid) have seven different limit breaks.
    --(SPOILER)After you defeat Hojo on the Sister Ray, there are seven days until Meteor hits.
    --The Buster Sword's blade has seven corners.
    --(SPOILER)Sephiroth slashes or stabs seven known characters with the Masamune (Pres. Shinra, Tifa's father, Tifa, Aeris, Tseng, Cloud, and Zack).
    --(SPOILER)In the final battle, Sefer Sephiroth has seven wings.
    --After Cloud's first battle, his level goes from six to seven.
    --(SPOILER)Tank #7 was faulty on the Shinra 26.
    --(SPOILER)There are a total of seven targets in the battle with Hojo.

OK, I just wanted too post this as a "hey, that's pretty cool" thing. But feel free to add some more significant sevens to this.

EDIT: Oops, forgot there were spoilers in here.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Midgar is normally powered by eight Mako reactors, but AVALANCHE destroys one at the beginning of the game, leaving seven. This obviously has some intense deeper meaning that only people who like to show off their sprawling vocabularies intellectuals will be able to perceive!!

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Heh, Kishi just reminded me: (SPOILER)after the sector 7 plate falls, there are seven sectors remaining in Midgar
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

There are six main characters besides Red XIII. Thirteen minus six is seven!!!

chadmonkey

- In the first seven battles you will fight seven battles
    - You need a minimum of seven chocobos to get the knights of the round materia:yellow1 + yellow2 = green & blue, green + blue = black, black + yellow3 = gold: yellow1, yellow2, yellow3, green, blue, black, gold)
    - seven shows up in a lot of prices at shops in the world

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    There are six main characters besides Red XIII. Thirteen minus six is seven!!!
    :chuckle:

Now your just making crap up! Reminds me of listening to the radio after that shuttle went down.

2 disasters + 14 total crew members = 28! They just kept doing it until they started to add a number that had no relevence to anything.

- 1 heart = 7 hearts!

Originally posted by chadmonkey
    - You need a minimum of seven chocobos to get the knights of the round materia:yellow1 + yellow2 = green & blue, green + blue = black, black + yellow3 = gold: yellow1, yellow2, yellow3, green, blue, black, gold)
    -
    WRONG! You only need one chocobo. Just beat Ruby weapon to get the gold chocobo!

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Four male main characters, seven testicles! plus three female characters make seven!

Default Re: The Number 7

Originally posted by DocFrance
    --(SPOILER)Tank #7 was faulty on the Shinra 26.
    I'm pretty sure it was #8?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[q=Kawaii Ryűkishi]This obviously has some intense deeper meaning that only people who like to show off their sprawling vocabularies intellectuals will be able to perceive!![/q]Damn straight. Here goes...
    Numerology has never appealed to me, so I'm not gonna comment on the 'significance' of 7 too much. Besides its status as a 'lucky number' for some, I don't know too much about it. It IS clear, though, that the number 7 (and to a lesser degree, 9) appears throughout the game.
    In response to 'Kishi's statement, AVALANCHE actually bombs two reactors, leaving a total of 6.

Anyway, there are some good articles on other websites, detailing this and many other mysterious references in FFVII - in particular, the ever-popular Kabbalist/Qabalist symbolism.

This is a good one:
    http://www.geocities.com/anguipes/upd.html

This one has a big list of 'sevens' from the game, most of which have already been mentioned:
    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...ff7sevens.html

Really, there's not too much 'significance' to the repetition of '7' in the game; if anything, it's more of an in-joke, or even a coincidence. There's some scope for discussion of 7 as a lucky number, though, especially considering the importance of chance encounters (Cloud and Aeris on the streets, that sort of thing) and BAD luck in the story.

But as I said, numerology's really not my sort of thing. Maybe Besimudo will have something useful to add?

Default Re: The Number 7

You know I never thought about that.. hmm...plus Final fantasy 7 in the uk costs Ł17 and 2nd hand one is Ł7 note the 7's!!!

There's also 7 command materia....Steal, Sense, Throw, Morph, Deathblow, Manipulate, and Mime

Also, how many elements are there in FFVII? (e.g. Fire, Earth.....)

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Hmm...

Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Lightning, Ice, Gravity, Holy... 8. Dang it. There goes that elaborate comspiracy theory...

yeah..it was tank 8.

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Default Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by Big D
    Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Lightning, Ice, Gravity, Holy... 8. Dang it. There goes that elaborate comspiracy theory...
    Damn. Well at least that correlates to the number of reactors at Midgar. Hell.....we can come up with all sorts of stuff with this. Like how each reactor is pumping out a specific element. And the 8th one was for Holy, but they never completed it. OH OH!!!! And that's why they wanted Aeris, because she had Holy materia. The possibilities are endless.....and ridiculous.

Here's another ambiguous number reference. After Avalanche destroyed the two reactors, there were only 5 in operation. And there are (or were) 5 Weapons.

Master of War DelightfulSpekkio442's Avatar

Poison (Bio) and Black (Meteor) are elements, aren't they? That makes it 10.

~MJE~
    "Ipso, facto, meeny moe...MAGICO!!!"