Thread: My printer will not work and I can't figure out what the problem is

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Default My printer will not work and I can't figure out what the problem is

I will first start out by saying NO printer works on the computer. No matter what I try it will not work and I want to blame my brother and that damn KaZoO!

I have tested the printer on my actual computer and my dad's laptop and it works fine. I have tried using different Parallel cables and neither of them help solve the problem.

It seems as though it has trouble sending the information to the printer and even when it sends it to the printer it still just stops mysteriously and comes up with an error.

I just want to hear what you peeps think the problem is before I just reformat the hard drive and see if that solves it(it could damn it and I am out of ideas).

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Try printing what you want to print to a file by ticking the Print to File box in the print dialogue box (I know it's there in word, dunno about other programs). Then assuming you printed to C:\print.prn, open a DOS box, and type

copy C:\print.prn LPT1:

and see what the printer does.

If it works, then the connection is fine, so something needs reinstalling, maybe printer drivers or Windows If it doesn't work, it's more likely to be a hardware problem, or possibly a BIOS setting on that port is set wrong.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

chadmonkey

It could be the connection itself to the printer. You might have to reinstall/install another parallel card to connect the printer to your comptuer. Borrow one from someone else's computer first to test that way you don't have to buy one and then try to argue the open package policy when you return it if need be.