Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would have made FF8 a much better game?

Default What would have made FF8 a much better game?

What do you think?

Ravishing Introvert Recognized Member Shoyku's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Better battle system where the monsters don't level when you do. And for the love of God, no Junction.

It would have been better if it didn't have any plot holes, and most of all, Rinoa should've been much stronger and not a helpless coward. (I know many of you have heard me yap about Rinoa so many times, but I just don't like her!)

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Greater diversity amongst the characters, fewer plot contrivances to explain important things (eg. GF Amnesia), and, my biggest issue,
    more emphasis on the other main characters.
    From the very outset they made it clear that Squall and Rinoa were the only ones who actually mattered. The others were stuck in the background. I hated that... particularly the way Quistis was marginalised so severely.

Well they could have had a better magic system instead of srawing from baddies. They should allow characters to have set magic spells depending on the GF and then the spells can get stronger and then learn new spells. I would always loose HP just drawing magic over and over again.

Blog Entries

I liked the monster leveling system, I liked the battle system with the drawing. I never was a big user of magic in other FFs but VIII gave you a purpose to collect it.

Yeah, some little tweaks with the plot would've made FF8 a better game. I say that FF8 was a bit too different for it's own good.

Still the best game eva~

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

They could've given it some kind of difficulty.

And having hot dogs as usable items in combat for HP restoration would've been priceless.
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.

Get rid of that damn juntioning system. That's about the only the I hated!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was really good, but the monster leveling thing has to go!

I agree with Big D too, they needed to give other characters more importance ^.^

1. The Junction thing has to go.
    2. I think that Rinoa should have been assasinated in order to help the story some. She should have been killed somehow near the end and sent to some, I dunno, "compressed" world place. Then Squall in the gang would beat Ultimecia and then the ending FMV could come on or Squall would rescue her somehow. I think it would have made it more adventrous and gave you more of a reason to fight.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Squall spent all of his free time rescuing Rinoa in some way or another... it was a nice turnaround how (SPOILER)she rescued him in the end. There should've been more interactive elements to the story, too - events where the player's choice influenced future scenes, kind of like the date in FFVII.

Having Seifer as the final boss would have balanced out the end better - though seeing Seifer in drag attempting to acheive 'Time Kompression' would have been...somewhat odd.

On a more probable note, more background details for Ultimecia or a confirmation of the R = U theory, would have given me both a greater desire to actually beat Ultimecia, and a greater sense of satisfaction having done so.

Apart from that, I would suggest perhaps fixing a few minor plotholes, and giving a more substantial and believable leadup to the Matron/memory loss revelation.

King of imaginary people Linus J's Avatar

apart from plot:

drawing magic was plain boring, so away with that.

difficulty maybe? My other way around I stayed at lvl18 and just beat cactuars over and over again. Beating just about everything with ease is boring.

Less annoying, that card game and different rules were just boring and somewhat stupid.

more character devlopment and the magic should have been differant.

pooh!....ff8 was a great game...and shouldn't be modified!!
    :mog: : :strut: